4000 mah?

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Stuart, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

So a sepeate charger will perfectly balance the charge?

2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

This just highlights that even usually reliable & good quality batteries can have defects, the difference is that poor quality batteries increase your chances of accidents 1000's of times over, quality batteries are not 100% safe & that is why good battery practice is important.

Judith and Gasman like this.
  3. Noe

A good, dedicated, 18650 battery charger, like a Jetbeam I4 Pro or Nitecore I4 Pro or the Opus BT-C 3100 or any equally good charger will charge each cell properly, there is no need for balance charging when cells are being charged individually (even in a 4 slot charger with all slots full the cells are charged individually).
    Balancing is done manually by rotating the slot positions the batts sit in in the mod.

4. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

This ^^^^

Nico and Laughter and Stuart like this.
  5. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

I've just dicovered that you can check the voltage of each battery on the rx 200. Would that be sufficient in monitoring the charge ballance of each battery?

6. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Wow, cool feature, I didn't know the RX could do that :)
    It would be as effective as using the mod to check the resistance of your coils IMO.

Probably not as accurate as an external reader, and would not offer me the piece of mind.

It seems as though you are swaying towards not having an external charger though.
    I can say that for my own piece of mind, spending the $50 on a good 4 slot external charger was one of the best buys since I started vaping (I can also charge my AA and AAA batteries on it for other round-the-house implements).
    One thing you will notice, is that when taking out the batteries from any multi-batt mod, one battery will be more drained than the other (or others in the RX's case). This is due to a number of factors, but can lead to placing too much stress on one batt over another if they are not rotated.
    This is bad.

Labelling and rotating the batteries after charging externally can remedy this - which is what @Noe detailed above.

I would recommend that you go with the external charger, even with the inbuilt feature.

Catweazle, Noe, Pufnstuf and 2 others like this.
  7. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

Thank you. I will, I'm going to order one tomorrow. This is all a part of my new found learning experience :)

Aussie, Noe, Aqualung and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Good on you Stuart. Independance of thought and action are probably the most valued attributes around here, except for battery safety, where we all suddenly morph into ultra conservatives, for good reason I reckon

9. Noe

Which would be fine if the mod's reporting of the charge was accurate but it isn't, the same batts taken out & tested on a more expensive tester showed different states of charge, do not trust that feature.
    Oh & before you ask, yes I saw it done on the mod & then on the proper tester.

Stuart likes this.
  10. Aussie

Aussie Senior Member

Stuart likes this.
  11. Noe

For that kind of money I prefer the Opus charger I mentioned above, which has loads more features, unfortunately you'll have to order from elsewhere though, Gearbest is where mine was supplied from.

If you want to save some $ then this charger is good value, I have the Jetbeam version of the same charger (both use the same chip/electronics) the Jetbeam is a slightly better charger due to a few minor differences but both work equally well when charging:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nitecore...521741?hash=item35ed1f5acd:g:q5gAAOSwDNdVlgEY
    It may not have the same Au approval but IMO that is niether here nor there, it has been approved by other electrical regulatory bodies/countries & it conforms to Aussie voltages, which is what matters.

The Jetbeam I had in use for over 3 years, the Opus has been in use for around 6 months, never had a problem with either charger. The Opus has a digital read out, that shows you how much charge each battery has etc., check the hardware reviews section of the forum if you want to see my full review of it.

12. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Tinkerbell

I knoe we're nagging you but when you consider the rare but catastrophic results from batteries venting it makes sense. Batteries are in my opinion the most dangerous part of vaping. Way worse than nicotine, pg,vg and flavouring. Look at the house fires that have started from those hover boards. Compared with burning down a house or having a battery vent whilst using it fifty bucks is dead cheap.

Catweazle, Stuart and Noe like this.
  13. Noe

The thing with non-protected Li-Ion batteries is, they usually have some inbuilt safety features, which are designed to protect the battery from venting or exploding, these features work right up until the point that they fail.
    Failure usually takes many months of continuing over discharge, ie tyring to get more power out of the battery than it is rated for. So a cheap battery normally also has these safety features & they will work the same way but the protection installed is a cheaper grade & that combined with the battery chemistry will lead to a catastrophic disaster at some point if the battery's true rating is ignored, in other words it's a ticking time bomb with an indefinite time delayed fuse.
    This is why it is important to use correctly rated batteries, with known specs, for the application you are using them in.
    Li-Ion batteries can take some abuse, the safety features built into them allow them to do this in most cases but each time you abuse the battery those safety features are weakened further, until one day, perhaps after 18months or more of use with no hint of a problem - BOOM the battery vents or explodes or causes a fire or worse injures someone.

Nico and Laughter likes this.
  14. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

Just ordered the nitecore i4. Thanks Noe

Nico and Laughter, Noe and rupert like this.
  15. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Tinkerbell

16. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Goodo. I use an i2 as my backup and 26650 charger. My only gripe is it charges to 4.24v instead of 4.20 which could shorten battery life

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

17. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Sort of linked but I just noticed Vapoureyes are listing the Sony as 20 amp and not 30 amp which backs up what I was told on here.
    Good on them I reckon.

DogMan likes this.
  18. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Good. The lg hb6 are true 30amp. I got mine from illumn.com as ss600 didn't have them. Only 1500mah though

The sony factory closed after fukushima. Not the same in the new factory

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Gasman likes this.