Anise, Liquorice, Fennel, Absinthe Mwaahahaha

Discussion in 'Juice Chat' started by rupert, Feb 14, 2016.

1. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I'm trying to get an indication as to how many vapers like the flavour that is

Absinthe/Liquorice/Sambuca/Fennel/Anise

?????

Its definitely an acquired taste, but I for one am a big fan - its pleasant to "cleanse" the palette with some nice anise every now and again, the only problem is the thorough washing a tank/RDA needs afterwards :D :D :D

So, please, let me know your thoughts, are you an anise lover?
    What is you favourite anise/absinthe/liquorice e liquid?

Happy to dedicate this thread to all things Absinthe/Liquorice/Sambuca/Fennel/Anise :D

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. embee

embee Senior Member U.S. Correspondent

In terms of food/drink, I've never been a huge anise fan, but I mixed a HIC recipe for an Italian Cream Soda that includes anise. Initially I was disappointed because the anise seemed overpowering, but during the past week I find I can't put this flavor down. I'll definitely be making more of this, and will probably add some anise to a few other recipes as well. (HIC recipe can be found here: http://www.hicsmixes.com/fruity.html )

Jerry Hatrick and rupert like this.
  3. Andrew Parker

Andrew Parker Senior Member

And I for one would be more than happy if you did - dedicate a thread to these flavours that is.

I'm quite fond of all these flavours but I adore Sambuca and I'd love to be able to vape something similar, perhaps with a hint, just a hint, of expresso.

Sounds as if I may have to dedicate one atty to it though - just how hard is it to get the rid of the flavour?

Jerry Hatrick and rupert like this.
  4. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

I am a fan of these flavours. So much so I purchased a large bottle of fennel concentrate !
    Can be overpowering but love the stuff !
    Straight it is like a mouthfull of black aniseed balls .
    I would love to see more recipies using these.

margyb and rupert like this.
  5. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Love aniseed/licorice. I use it as a tiny component in some tobaccos, to give the impression I've rolled with licorice paper. A little more stongly with double apple and tobacco, and the absinthe in my Pluid clone requires a dedicated attie, cos there is no cleaning that out!

6. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I've seen the recipe, but never made it!
    Its been hit and miss for me with HIC's recipes - some are amazing, some so/so. I might revisit this one and give it a shot, thanks @embee :)

That sounds interesting.
    I have found that coffee flavours generally need to be used at a very low percentage to achieve a nicely rounded flavour. Otherwise they start to taste like "burnt".
    This would be an interesting challenge, as the anise flavour is extremely strong, and I would think it would drown the coffee flavour.

I have a few now, as I love liquorice and anise, but tend to not chain vape them, as my wife is not a fan.
    Maybe we can also use this thread as a place to store liquorice/fennel/anise recipes?

Haha :D
    Hey, I'd be interested to see what clone you are using - is it your own?
    I messed around with the Murdoch style mixing for ages, and came up with my own, which is cloudy, and tastes great to me :)
    I also have another recipe I built upon using other fruits, which is now known as my Fairy Elixer, and I almost always have a bottle sitting around.

embee and Jerry Hatrick like this.
  7. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Hey Rupert, I don't recall the original source of the Pluid clone recipe I started with, so can't give proper credit. It was 14% TFA absinthe, 3% black tea, 2% sweetener, and 2% FW ecto cooler.
    I removed the sweetener entirely after the first trial, subsequently halved the ecto cooler, and upped the black tea to 4%..
    In recent times, as a result of discussion in another thread, I've reduced flavouring generally by about 20 -30%, and will try that with this too, I would now regard it as too strong I think, but didn't at the time of starting with it.

rupert likes this.
  8. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Also, just rereading woopifumes post above, recalled it was fashionable at one time in the dim, dark past, to float a coffee bean in the Sambucca and flame it. A slight coffee flavour infused in the Sambucca, very nice.

9. Andrew Parker

Andrew Parker Senior Member

Back in the seventies Aqualung and I confess to still enjoying it thus still.

Aqualung likes this.
  10. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

I'm still working on one of my projects, a juice based on the Spanish drink - Sol y Sombra.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_y_Sombra
    Where my family is from, they are famous for their Anis, which is Spain's answer to white Sambuca, so we tend to be a bit heavy on that side of the mix. Generally speaking we go 3/4 Anis, 1/4 Brandy (usually Fundador). Awesome drink for sipping after dinner or even as a shot for the more adventurous.
    I've been using Juicefactory's super concentrates but I'm just not getting the result I'm looking for and once I've tested one batch, I have to ditch the coil and sterilise the tank, the flavour just hangs onto every nook & cranny...
    If I had the time and drive, I would love to bring out a brand of juices focusing on mixed drinks like this, primarily Spanish ones, being the ones I'm most familiar with.
    If anyone gets a chance to try it, grab a bottle of liquor 43, which is a delicious citrus/vanilla liqueur that would be beautiful as an e-juice...

11. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Very nice, and thank you for sharing - it's not the same one I've used, and definitely different to my current recipe (which uses a lot of fruit and no ecto or tea).
    Is that FA Black Tea? Ill give it a go if so.

Never seen that one (Sambuca with a coffee bean)! But sounds interesting.
    In Sweden last year I was told that I have to order a "Liquorice Shot when at a local bar/club - they will know what to do.
    So I did.... and the drunkenness that ensued was like nothing else. Pretty sure it was anise moonshine, not 100% what was in it, tasted like essence of Sambuca, with a punch to the liver that not many dinks can deliver. Delicious, but deadly!

I'm a big fan of Rickard Pastis 51.
    Beautiful flavour. Tops mixed with a little cold water to get the cloudiness happening :)
    I've not seen liquor 43. Ill keep my eye out next time I am at Murphy's joint.

I saw your post in the other thread on this, and it tweaked my interest. Unfortunately I don't have brandy or I would give it a go.
    Might look at putting it into the next order (just placed one today, so might not be for a week or so...)

I've personally had terrible luck mixing complex flavours (more than 2-3 components) with the JF super concentrates.
    On their own, or with 2 flavours they can be AMAZING, but really difficult to work with as they require such low %.
    It might be worth diluting them down by 1/10 with pure PG and trying to mix?
    Oh, and test in an RDA :D Always easier to clean and rewick than a tank!

12. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Funnily enough, it was trying to created mixed drink e liquids that started me on my DIY journey.

Still haven't nailed that Alabama Slammer!......

13. Jerry Hatrick

I found a pluid clone ages ago (no idea where now) but it was I think named 555 or something like that
    5% absinth ( I used fennel)
    5% horehound
    5% ecto cooler
    I have never tried Murdocks Pluid so no idea how it compares ??
    But I love it !

rupert likes this.
  14. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Very nice!
    Horehound is another great flavour for bringing almost a "coolness" to these type of vapes, with a really nice herbal flavour.
    I have found myself using it a lot.

I did read a while back that Mad M said that pluid didn't have any horehound in it.
    I've never tried it either, but the style of mix set me on a journey, and I have a few anise/absinthe mixes that I wont change any further now.

Jerry Hatrick likes this.
  15. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Yep, licorice lover here too! Haven't mixed any of my own yet.

In the past I have really enjoyed both VK Double Apple and the Steamers Apple Hookah. Both great Apple/Anise flavours.

I'm slowly working my way through a bottle of Badlands Kryptonite, which is a very accurate black licorice flavour, very full on, I can only take it in small doses!

rupert and Jerry Hatrick like this.
  16. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Yup, FA black tea.
    While we're talking, that Absolute Pin was very pleasant. 5 pawns?
    Lots of Irish Cream type flavour, and some caramel, then absinthe. Only made a few notes while consuming the one bottle I've had, and never got around to pursuing a clone recipe.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Back to the lab, mwahaha.

rupert likes this.
  17. Jerry Hatrick

I have vaped Horehound on it's own and like it a lot.

rupert and emu like this.
  18. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I've not tried it standalone @Jerry Hatrick but am sure it would be interesting!!!

So my anise loving brethren-
    What is your favourite fruit/bakery/tobacco to mix with your fennel/anise/absinthe/liquorice????

19. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

I'll second absolute pin. Very nice.

rupert, Aqualung and emu like this.
  20. Jerry Hatrick

Besides the 555 above the other one I love is just whatever your favourite Vanilla vape is add 0.5% fennel .
    I have used Capella Vanilla Custard and their French Vanilla (better). YUM YUMM
    Sounds strange but got it from Jen talking about Plain Jane .

emu and rupert like this.