1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Clueless Newb looking to avoid critical mistakes

Discussion in 'Ask the Veterans' started by Captain Obvious, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New Member

Hi everyone,

I've never vaped before, but I'm aiming to quit smoking after 15 years of heavy puffing. I've bought myself a pair of aspire premium starter kits fitted with nautilus mini tanks, and an waiting for some juices to arrive from overseas. They are 12mg strength--I was recommended this nicotine level based on the amount of cigarettes I smoke per day, and their strength. I've always smoked roll your own winfield blues, have since the age of 14.

I'm really eager to make the total switch to vaping, because....well, cigarettes are going to kill me.

As I say, I've never vaped before and I'm looking for advice as to what I should do for my first vape--and what pitfalls should be avoided if I'm really to make a go of quitting smokes.

Grateful for any help, Thankyou!

margyb, Pippi and Judith like this.
  2. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Hi cap'n

On my phone, so hard to link a specific post. But in this thread, there is a video by a reviewer called lady vapors of the old evods. It shows the difference inhaling a vape vs a smoke http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/index.php?threads/1422/

12mg may not be strong enough. But time will tell.

One trap newbies fall into is trying to vape less than they smoked. It is highly likely you'll benefit from chain vaping. Which is safe to do, unlike the cancer sticks.

Any specific questions, just ask

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

3. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Hello Captain Obvious and welcome. How many rollies did/do you smoke a day?

The nicotines from ecigs takes much longer to reach the receptors in your brain than when you smoke which is almost instantaneous. This is one of the reasons DogMan suggested you may need to chain vape because of that and because vaping is an inefficient way to get nicotine when you are getting used to the different way you need to inhale. It is a bit of a learning curve you are about to go through and even though I chain vaped when I first stopped smoking I still went through some tobacco withdrawals because nicotine is not the only addictive chemical in tobacco. If you experience the withdrawal symptoms don't worry because they will go away in a couple of days but it still takes heavier smokers a while to get rid of the occasional craving. Easy to ignore though as long as you have e-liquid and charged batteries.

4. Captain Obvious

Judith I smoke about 25 Rollies per day. What is considered chain vaping? I mean do I just vape until the craving has gone?

DogMan and Judith like this.
  5. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Hi Captsin, welcome to the Cafe. :)

The aspire kit is a sold device to start on so you should be fine.

Where did you order your juice from?

One thing I will say is that vaping does not taste like smoking. That was the hardest thing for me to get used to. I didn't crave cigarettes at all, but I did struggle a bit with the sweetness of vapour and missed the smokiness of smoke. :sillygrin: Especially when I was having a coffee or a beer. I got used to it though, and don't even think about it any more.

Good luck, I'm excited for you. :)

margyb, Captain Obvious and Pippi like this.
  6. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Yes, chain vaping is more or less constant vaping. You were a moderately heavy smoker so 12 mg might not be enough for you. I hate to suggest it but if you have some nicotine gum or lozenges around it might help you for the first few days.

margyb, Captain Obvious and Pippi like this.
  7. Captain Obvious

Thanks Jennifer,

I ordered the juice from vapefi....seemed to be a pretty solid brand with a lot of high user ratings. There's so much juice out there I have no idea if it was the right call or not though

Jennifer likes this.
  8. DogMan

DogMan Butler

As judith said, vaping is a slower release. So don't wait for a craving IMHO, try to be one step ahead of them to prevent the cravings, not quell the ones you get. Others may disagree though

margyb, Captain Obvious and Judith like this.
  9. Captain Obvious

The aspire premium kits I bought have variable voltage, which I don't really understand other than that they're over ohm...if I crank up the voltage, will I get more nicotine?

Pippi likes this.
  10. DogMan

DogMan Butler

i think a nautilus tank is recommended for less than about 15 watts, any more could just burn your wicks [very unpleasant]

Captain Obvious, Jennifer and Pippi like this.
  11. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Hi and Welcome Captain, I was a heavy rolly smoker and stopped smoking thanks to vaping - I started on 18mg for the first week but then went down to 12mg for over a year and these days I mostly vape 6mg - We are all so different and you will soon work out if 12mg is enough for you - several of my friends started on 12mg and have have no probs giving up the stinkies. Just remember even though vaping makes giving up a lot more achievable you still need a bit of commitment in the early days whilst you go through teething trouble.
    Ps, when you get your Nautilus tanks, make sure you dont over tighten them closed - particularly when they are new.

Captain Obvious and DogMan like this.
  12. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

You will get more vapour....or you will get a foul burnt taste. Be careful when upping the voltage. There is a sweet spot between the resistance of the coil and the voltage that gives the most vapour without burning the juice. So just nudge up the voltage, rather than crank it up, lol!

Captain Obvious, DogMan and Pippi like this.
  13. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Yeah but now you can get clapton and kantal coils for them and go higher watts but I still perfer the original coils.

Captain Obvious, Jennifer and DogMan like this.
  14. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Haven't tried than vendor but it looks fine to me. They are all much the same anyway.

Did you get tobacco flavour, or a range of different ones?

Captain Obvious likes this.
  15. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

Welcome to the Cafe Captain! I seer your being well looked after, I wish you luck in your journey.......

Captain Obvious likes this.
  16. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Welcome to VCA Capt.

To get an idea of how much liquid you'll need & what strength it should be, take a look in my thread here: http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/t...ength-plus-technique-for-reduced-coughing.41/
    The kits you have coming sound like they will be good starter devices but if you find they aren't working for you, don't despair, there are plenty more devices that you may enjoy more.

For your type of kit, I would have thought 12mg/ml juice to be among the lower strengths I would recommend to someone with your smoking habits, I think 18mg/ml or maybe even 24mg/ml may suit you better. One thing to note is that the higher nic strengths have more TH (throat hit) & some vapers can find them a little harsh at first.
    As @DogMan pointed out, you can chain vape to your heart's content but on the other hand you may not want to or be able to, so I would consider ordering a couple of 30ml bottles of juice at 24mg/ml in the same flavors(or close to them if not from the same vendor) as your 12mg/ml juice already ordered & 1 empty 30ml bottle too. This way, you can cover all the strengths from 12mg/ml up to 24mg/ml simply by decanting the 12mg/ml & 24mg/ml into the empty 30ml bottle at the right ratios (or using the 12mg/ml or 24mg/ml on their own), for instance if you want 18mg/ml then 15ml of 12mg/ml + 15ml of 24mg/ml = 30ml of 18mg/ml.

Don't stress too much though, if you are determined, then switching to vaping from smoking is pretty easy, just take it 1 day at a time & tell yourself, today I will try not to have any cancer sticks, tomorrow can sort itself out.
    A trick that may help you, initially, is to put your tobacco somewhere that isn't in easy reach & have your vape gear in a handy location when you wake up, so that the first thing you think of when you wake up is vaping, not smoking.

17. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

Ahoy there captain welcome to the cafe may fair winds be with ya !

Pippi and Jennifer like this.
  18. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

And watch out for the pirate, lol! ^^^^

19. Luke G

Luke G Member

I still vape on a mini nautilus now and i hover around the 12 watt mark. Its a great MTL tank, particularly for higher nic levels.

Welcome to the cafe and enjoy your stay

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Captain Obvious and Pippi like this.
  20. Captain Obvious

I got one tobacco flavor, but the rest were fruit and or dessert flavours. I bought vanilla, caramel, apple, and white turtle (creme brulee/hazelnut type deal).

Jennifer likes this.