Another Clueless Newb looking to avoid critical mistakes

Discussion in 'Ask the Veterans' started by Captain Obvious, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New Member

Goddamnit...I spent like 130$ on 12 mg juice. I hope it's enough nic!

Really glad I found this site, incredibly helpful so far and I'm taking on board all the advice given here.

If I do find the 12mg stuff too low, can I alternate between vaping and smoking? Or will I end up with nicotine poisoning lol?

Noe likes this.
  2. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

You can buy nicotine from overseas to add some extra strength to the 12mg liquid if you need to but you need to read up how to do that.

You will get heart palpitations if you OD on nic. I know this because I forgot to take off an old nicotine patch before putting on a new years ago. The symptoms of OD are mild and disappear quickly. Having said that, people are advised to use gum or lozenges with NRT patches these days and could easily OD but when smoking and vaping you would need to try really hard to OD. It is a good idea to switch completely if you can but no big deal if you can't. I came across someone recently who took 3 years to switch completely but she also spent a lot more money on tobacco during that time. I really enjoy not having that pressure to make sure I have tobacco money covered before I buy food or pay bills.

Donna likes this.
  3. Captain Obvious

I already have over tightened the nautilus Pippi...it was actually the first thing I did, haha! Devil's own job trying to get it off again. Well, ince I have 12mg coming I guess I'll just have to try and make do, if I start feeling predisposed to psychotic violence I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and buy higher strength nic. Do you have any recommendations for Aussie Juice Vendors? I'm a bit cautious about buying domestically as a none of the vendors here seem to have any oversight.

DogMan likes this.
  4. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Many here buy 100mg [10%] nicotine from hiliq, they are chinese but good

Go vape liquid do cheap PG/VG and flavours with free shipping for vca members

Both have sub forums here with many good reviews, and discount codes for us

Captain Obvious, Judith and Jennifer like this.
  5. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Good selection, you should have a couple you like there. :)

No, you will start to feel nauseous way before you die, and will naturally stop vaping. But that's highly unlikely on 12mg, so yep smoking and vaping is fine.

A few people have said you will need some will power to stop smoking but that wasn't my experience at all. It could not have been easier for me and I had no cravings or withdrawal symptoms. But then I smoked whenever I wanted and wasn't desperate to quit, so that's probably why.

I would suggest you take it easy about smoking. It's fine, there is no rush to stop smoking. It takes a little while to get into your stride with vaping and many people just naturally lose the smokes over time without any stress at all. If that doesn't happen you can always go cold turkey on the fags down the track when you've got vaping sorted out. I don't recommend trying to quit straight away cuz I don't see the point. Your call though. :)

Oh, I was a heavy rollie smoker too and 12mg was perfectly fine for me. I did chain vape at the start though, so much that I ended up with a raw throat and had to smoke again for a few days. It all settled down though.

DogMan likes this.
  6. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

The Flavour Republic are a good vendor for flavours and PG/VG. They are a WA vendor and he's a really good guy.

What state are you in Captain, there might be a brick and motar vape shop near you?

DogMan likes this.
  7. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Don't stress, I'm sure you will be able to get enough satisfaction from the 12mg/ml juice, you just may need to vape more frequently than is convenient.
    The flavors you got are quite common, so finding another vendor that has the same/similar tasting flavors will be easy, except perhaps for the tobacco flavor & white turtle.
    FT is a Chinese vendor that offers free shipping & for about $3Au offer expedited shipping options(usually arrives within 2 weeks expedited). They have Dekang juices which are cheap & for the types of flavors you have coming will blend reasonably well into them https://www.fasttech.com/category/3...=MjI5PTI0bWcvbWx8MjMwPTMwfDc9RGVrYW5n&sort=r& I checked & they have apple, caramel, vanilla & a range of tobacco flavors available in 24mg/ml. For around $25Au you could get 3x 30ml 24mg/ml bottles of juice & expedited shipping. For $3 more you can get 5x empty 30ml bottles https://www.fasttech.com/products/3...pty-dropper-bottles-for-e-liquids-5-pack-30ml
    The white turtle flavor, you could mix vanilla into & get a nice tasting combo I think, perhaps adding a little caramel flavor into it if you need to.

Don't expect tobacco flavors to taste like a cancer stick, I don't recommend getting Dekang tobacco flavored juice, many vapers do not enjoy cheap Chinese tobacco flavored juice.
    Tobacco flavors can be quite hard to match, simply saying "oh it's a tobacco flavor" tells me virtually nothing about what it is, without some further description it is going to be very difficult to recommend a close flavor in 24mg/ml to the one you have coming.

8. Captain Obvious

Pretty much my only hesitation about vaping is getting sub-standard liquid. Granted that it's still early days and we don't know what we don't know, but we do have chemical analysis services available to us that can tell us if there's more in the juices being sold than glycol and flavorings. The reason I opted for vaperfi is because their juices are tested in six month periods under FDA guidelines and in an FDA approved lab. I know that's no guarantee, but it's as good as we can get for the time being. I can't find anything nationally that seems to be subjected to the same quality assurance practices. If you know of a vendor that can match what vaperfi does, I'd be grateful for the info because importing is expensive especially with the price of the greenback right now.

That said, here's what I do know; cigarettes kill 50% of people who smoke them, and if I don't stop, I'm either going to die or my life will be miserable and possibly not worth living owing to a critical illness caused by my habit. It's a zero sum-game, ultimately.

9. Noe

Dekang has been making juice for many years, since even before I started vaping.
    While that is no guarantee, they have sold probably more juice world wide than any other eliquid manufacturer or if not would be among the top 10.

In regards to juice, there are 4 main ingredients*, Vegetable Glycerin(VG), Propylyne Glycol(PG), Nicotine & Flavors.
    Flavors are the ingredient that potentially can cause some minimal harm but when put into context & compared to smoking the harm they can cause is significantly less.
    Cancer Sticks (yes even RYO tobacco) are infused with many different chemicals, including flavorings & flavorings of the type that can cause harm, Diacetyl for example is sometimes found in ejuice but in commercial tobacco it is found in much higher concentration that in juice. In fact 1 tailor made cigarette normally has more Diacetyl than you will find in 30mls of juice.
    I try to avoid Diacetyl & Acetyl Propinol, in the juices I use, once you know what it tastes like it is pretty easy to detect the flavor note (both taste near identical).

I'd be VERY skeptical about any juice manufacturer that claims to be FDA approved, I have been vaping for a long time & I am not aware of any FDA approved juice manufacturers. Some "FDA approved" claims have been made by some juice companies & exposed to be completely false.

*Flavors can be comprised of many different ingredients.

10. Captain Obvious

Noe you can read up about their ejuice here--it's not FDA approved (I don't think any approval is granted or has been) but they're registered with the FDA as a producer in an approved lab. I'm not too worried about Diacetyl TBH. Dioxins are more harmful, bio-accumulative and we're exposed to them in all kinds of ways every day. But yeah, I mean I rather not get hit with it anymore than necessary. I've tried researching the flavours, and while I think their might be a bit of unnecessary hysteria owing to the buttery flavours, I wouldn't touch anything cinnamon flavoured with a barge pole honestly. Good PR article on those here:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0887233313002610

https://www.vaporfi.com/how-it-works/why-e-liquid-rocks.html

Jennifer likes this.
  11. Noe

Thanks for the links.

All US juice manufacturers, now, need to be registered with the FDA or they are selling illegally. The only testing that is done in regards to ejuice, that I know of, is for Diactyl/ Diketones.

Looking at that Vaperfi link, I see nothing that many other ejuice manufacturers are not doing, Dekang certainly uses USP grade VG & PG, nicotine is mainly extracted in China or India & TBH I'd prefer to trust Chinese extracted nicotine than Indian, while not 100% I'm 99% certain Vaperfi would be importing nicotine from China.
    So what it really comes down to is the flavorings, Apple, Caramel & Vanilla are relatively simple flavors & not likely to contain any of the ingredients you seem concerned about but if you want to spend 4 times as much for your juice (after shipping) that is your choice :)

Maria likes this.
  12. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Tinkerbell

Just be careful because some juice vendors are not above creating hype that is not necessarily warranted. Particularly when they charge a bit extra. Most juice manufacturers of a reasonable size use a lab these days. Having said that each of us has to judge the risk for our selves. I prefer to make my own juice as I have more control of the ingredients.

Noe likes this.
  13. Maria

Maria Senior Member

Welcome Captain! .I smoked winfield blues and a packet a day habit. I found 12 mg was enough for me, as Winfield blues were 12 mg but as it has been said you will find out your preferred level. .I stuck with tobacco e liquids for a long time as it helped with sticking to the flavor I knew and liked .All of it is personal preference but your certainly are in the right place for advice on vaping.I am new to the Cafe as well and everyone is super helpful. I had to learn about quality of different e liquid's it's just research and finding what you like.Good luck on your journey.Look forward to your updates:)

14. DogMan

DogMan Butler

15. Noe

Maria likes this.
  16. Maria

Maria Senior Member

See still learning thanks Noe.:thumbup: I don't want to share incorrect fact's.Reading the link.

Noe likes this.