1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Aspire Pockex All-in-one review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Noe, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Log in on FT & check in your "orders" page, if the order says anything other than "shipped" eg. if it says "Packaging", you can put the order on "hold", then submit a ticket to either get a refund or to exchange the item(s) for something else, with a refund of the difference in cost or a slight payment to make up the shortfall :)
    It's important to put the order on hold, no matter what the status says (unless it says shipped), that way they will not send it while CS gets to your ticket.

Jaz, Pippi and iamTezr like this.
  2. Jaz

Jaz Member

After smashing my white Pockex at Christmas I bought a rose coloured one last week. I was without my Pockex for5 days and I really missed it. Ace Vape, my local B&M are now stocking the replacement glass for $4.00 so I'm all good if I drop it again.
    I really can't recommend the Pockex highly enough not just for beginners- old timers as well

3. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I changed the coil and used one of my Nautilus X 1.5 ohm coils - its not working too good so I think I will have to buy a pkt of the .6 ohm.

Noe, margyb and Jaz like this.
  4. Jaz

Jaz Member

It would be a very tight draw I'm guessing with 1.5. Go buy some coils Pippi :dog:

Pippi likes this.
  5. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Yes its next to nothing. I think VV are home from holidays tonight so will head there in the morning - I must confess I am also missing it.

6. Jaz

Jaz Member

Yes I think VV are open to tomorrow. You're lucky having a great B&M close by. Ace Vape is great but they don't carry anywhere near the stock that VV does. They're very much geared towards huge sub ohm cloud chasers.

Pippi likes this.
  7. Noe

After some discussion on another forum, I have updated/edited the review.
    Originally I was led to believe that the 1.5/1.8 ohm Nautilus X coils would work in the Pockex, while it is true they will fit the Pockex, the Pockex does not perform well with those coils. As the review now states, the Pockex will perform best with 0.6 ohm or 0.5 ohm Pockex/Naut X coils.

margyb and Pippi like this.
  8. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I guess you didnt see my comments above. it really doesn't work full stop with the 1.5ohm coils which is a shame.

9. Noe

No but I read your comments in the other place ;)
    After seeing the discussion over there I came here & just made the edit & posted to let people know I had made the edit, didn't read the latest posts in here until just now :)

Pippi likes this.
  10. Noe

I use my Pockex quite a bit, I have it filled with a juice I don't use in any other device, which keeps bringing me back to use it.
    I think i would continue using it anyway, because it just simply works & is so easy to carry around for a quick trip up the shops etc. for my needs it is better than the Icare or the mini & it outperforms the Joye AIO too.
    I am hoping I can get to try more newby friendly AIO devices to review, there seems to be a few more coming out but for now, my go to recommendation for new vapers is the Pockex.

Pippi likes this.
  11. Gabby

Gabby Member

I wouldn't recommend the Pockex to a beginner under any circumstances!

As you know I'm a beginner myself - a 20% vaper that's only been going for a month or 3. Because I'm still smoking I still need many of the aspects of smoking when I vape. I really need a tight draw at the moment (although that's changing), and the Pockex is hopeless in that regard. It's also quite noisy with the standard 0.6Ω coil, which is anti-stealth and a real put-off for other citizens in a quiet room - I remember how I used to react to seeing the vapers with their boxes, sputters and clouds.

I also tried it with the Naut X 1.5Ω coil. It was usable (just) but it needed a long slow draw (which was still loose). This isn't surprising considering it's using 1/6 of the watts so only producing 1/6 of the vapour while the button's held down. If you're used to subohming I guess you're going to assume it's not working.

I'll probably put mine away until I change my druthers a bit.

Other than that it's a nice PV with lots to like. I particularly liked the button lights and the colour change for low battery, which is better and faster into action than the Joyetechs. It's a good size too.

I also had some trouble removing and replacing the coil because it was such a stiff fit. Is this normal?

I think I said some harsh words about the eGo AIO's draw, but I take it back. It's not terrific but it's much better than the Pockex for me in this regard. So my preference for beginners is now eGo ONE, then eGo AIO. I'll provide more detail on the comparison later.

Noe, iamTezr, Judith and 1 other person like this.
  12. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

It's always good to know these things because I would have recommended for beginners based on what I have read so far . Looking forward to more info from you. I don't know if you have read my posts on coils for the Ego AIO but I find the 1 ohm Cubis coils much more MTL friendly than the 0.5 or 0.6 coils. For me the 1.5 ohm coils are nothing to shout about.

Noe and Gabby like this.
  13. Gabby

Gabby Member

Thanks Judith, I saw your post. I think I would prefer it too - I've ordered some 1.0Ω coils.

I only got my Pockex yesterday - hence the 'late' reply.

Judith likes this.
  14. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

The thing is that even beginners are all different - I bought a Pockex last week for a friends Daughter ( heavy smoker) She loved it instantly and is doing well but still having a ciggie first thing in the morning.
    I dont think there will ever be a "perfect for all" beginner set up - its an impossible task.

margyb, DogMan, Noe and 2 others like this.
  15. Noe

Thanks for your opinion, you are the first vaper I have heard complain about the draw on the Pockex & it has made me think of a solution :)

If you need a tighter draw on the Pockex, you could get a vape band (AKA Silicone Anti-slip Ring ) designed to fit 19mm tanks & use it around the top cap where the air intake split is. Then do not cover the entire split, leave part of it exposed or you will have no airflow at all, you can then expose as much or as little of that split as you need to find your perfect draw, another way to do it would be to use some clear tape or basically anything that will cover that AF split.
    I don't have any 19mm inner diameter vape bands to test this with but I have just tested it using a 22mm vape band & pinching it in place, it works & it also reduces the noise when vaping on the Pockex.
    Vape bands come in all different colors, so I am sure you can find one that suits your Pockex :)

HeavenGifts has some that should work for the purpose, you can either cut the long connecting part off or use it & the DT covering part for when carrying the Pockex in your bag or pocket.
    The black colored one should suit all Pockex colors, there is also white, green, blue, red, purple, grey & semi-clear (called Pure), they will cost about $0.80Au : https://www.heavengifts.com/product/Vapesoon-Universal-Silicone-Dust-Cap-for-Tank.html
    [​IMG]

16. Gabby

Gabby Member

I agree, Pippi, but one of the things is how well it simulates sucking on a fag. Newbies are going to take what they get, not quibble about draw, flavour and gurgling. It may not affect what they think of it because they don't know they can get better, but it might affect how long they last before going back to the stinkies. For me the draw is a sizable factor in the 'satisfaction' of the puff.

BTW, I sometimes vape at home, but when I go out, I only vape - I leave the fags at home. And this includes the pub, parties, fishing, etc.. where I'm under more pressure than normal to light up. And draw is important to me. But you're right, it might not be to other starters.

Judith and Pippi like this.
  17. Noe

Going back a few years, there was far less choice, almost all new vapers were recommended to start with a kit that had 2 x pen style batts & some kind of clearomiser. A lot of the early clearomisers had ariflow from around the 510 connection's threads, often the draw was too tight for some vapers on a particular clearomiser & the solution was to drill or file or force open the tiny little holes on the 510 connection but for other vapers using the same clearo, the draw was perfect.
    So I think it all comes down to personal choice & adjustable AFC certainly could help but I still think the Pockex caters for a good range of vaping styles & can work for vapers that don't need the tightest or the most open of draws.
    The Vape band solution will work if you need to tighten the draw but there is no way to make it more open, for vapers that want a more open draw a different device is the only solution.

I still think the Pockex is the better starter kit for most new vapers.
    Vaping has never been a "one size fits all" kind of thing, if the Pockex is not to the newby's liking, there are other AIOs or even mods/atties that may be more suitable for them but I think the Pockex is still the best first recommendation.

Nico and Laughter, Judith and Gabby like this.
  18. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Thinking about this and it seems the only thing that stops the Pockex from catering to all tastes - damn shame they didnt put adjustable airflow.
    Most beginners arent going to know about covering the airflow with something and have enough to deal with without having to fiddle with extra things.

Judith and Gabby like this.
  19. Gabby

Gabby Member

:p
    Mods for a beginner starter kit, Noe? Really??

But seriously, I tried this using duct/gaffer tape (what else?) and you're right, it improved it out of sight - including the noise - when the tape covered 97% of the gap. Looks great - maybe I can pretend I'm a tradie! :p

The ijust2 has a silicon ring to adjust the draw, but it's not very effective and moves too easily. Yet another subohm PV which pays lip-service to slow MTL.

Now all I need to do is up the ohms. Do you know of any 1Ω coils which might work?

margyb likes this.
  20. Noe

The adjustable AFC on the Joye AIO is IMHO a joke, it does not work well at all, every time you put the AIO in your pocket, the AFC can & will move around, meaning you need to re-adjust it multiple times throughout the day. To me that would be super frustrating, it also means that the AFC could move to the fully closed position & you'll end up cooking your coil if you don't know any better.
    The Pockex may not be perfect for everyone but no vaping device is, however I still firmly believe it is the closest thing to a "one size fits all" newby device.

Gabby likes this.