Battery hogs

Discussion in 'General Hardware Discussion' started by Gasman, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I have never noticed it before but have read about it.

Not long ago I bought a Wismec Sinuous P80 mod as it appeared to be a reasonably priced stealthy single 18650 device. It has performed perfectly well with only one complaint. Alright two as it had a silly light thing on either side but you can disable that so I'm not counting it.

It absolutely devours batteries.

Initially I thought it was my batteries getting old but found that no matter the age they were all lasting roughly the same amount of time.
    I experimented with the same battery and atty but on different mods and the vast majority seemed to last twice as long.

I can only estimate but would say that I haven't vaped with any more frequency at one time or another so my only conclusion is that this mod just demands more power for whatever reason.
    I have entered the menu and I think I'm on the lowest settings for screen time etc.
    Menus aren't my strong point it must be said.

Anybody else experienced anything similar with this mod or any others?

Wanda, Rayjay, Flea and 1 other person like this.
  2. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

I have noticed this with other mods as well, it depends on the chip they use so I am told but I am no expert in electronics.
    Eg. If any one remembers the Wismec Presser that could use the 26650 Batteries and compared to the Geekvape Aegis In the Wismec Pressa the battery seemed to last longer at the same watt setting and coil resistance than the in the Geek Vape Aegis.

Also remember that batteries have a life cycle of recharges. Could it be that you are using a battery that is near the end of its recharge capability?

Try with new batteries.

Gasman likes this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Sorry for the late reply.

That was my original thought as well but as mentioned I tried the same batteries and attys on/in other mods and the battery life was definitely longer in all of them.
    I even tried alternating the test as in using the Wismec before and after a different mod with the same results.

Therefore my conclusion is that the Sinuous is a battery hog.
    It works as you would expect with no other problems but battery life is not the best.

Rayjay likes this.
  4. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

battery mooch posted an OT comment in one of his threads that he didn't like his wismec 3 battery mod, since it gave worse battery life than other 2 battery mods

i think it was his 3000mah 18650 shoot out thread

Gasman and Rayjay like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

It's one of those conclusions that will put me off buying another Wismec mod. Probably completely unjustified but from here on in I'm going to read the name Wismec and immediately think of battery hog.

Rayjay and DogMan like this.
  6. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

LOL @Gasman, I only wish I can get the Wismec Pressa 100W mod again, it has been discontinued, dunno why, It was a damn good mod in its day one of the first that took the 26650 battery. Mine is definitely showing signs of wear and I had no issues with it.

Gasman likes this.
  7. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

It's just how my troubled mind works. Word association and all that and unfair I'm sure.
    I've got a few other Wismec mods and never noticed a similar problem but this one has probably lost my future custom.

I'm sure I'm deluded and when the next Wismec mod that interests me hits the sites I'll be fighting the never ending I don't need it battle and lose miserably.

Rayjay likes this.
  8. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Lol I have enough mods to last me a lifetime. It would have to be extra special for me to consider another.

Sent from Taptalk. Vape On & be happy. Live & Let Live Blessed Be!

Gasman likes this.
  9. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

That's what I said waaayyyy to many mods ago.

Noe and Rayjay like this.
  10. MrMonk

MrMonk New Member

I’m new to vaping but I was just thinking that maybe an idea to extend battery life could be to only fill a tank to 3/4 or 1/2 full of juice.
    If the battery doesn’t have to work as hard to heat so much juice in order for the person to get their desired hit then maybe it will last longer?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Makes no difference, the coil is what does the work, the juice is heated on the coil not in the tank to get vapor production.

There are definitely battery hogs of mods. Wismec are not the only manufacturer to produce them but I stopped having interest with Wismec mods & devices long ago, they produce some gems but they, for the most part, produce flawed devices, IME.
    My preference is for 3 x 18650 mods now, since these require fewer recharge cycles compared to dual or especially single cell mods, single cell mods are by far the mods to avoid if you are after longer lasting batteries, not just run times but also duty cycles.

The DNA250 I have found is probably the best chip in terms of run times from my 18650 cells but I have also heard good things about the newer SX chips & having owned 2 mods with the older 100W SX chips I can say they were good in their day.
    Generally speaking all DNA250 devices should get the same run times using the same number of cells, there may be some small amount of difference depending on how the chip is wired up but the ship itself will consume the same amount of power as another DNA250 chip.
    I posted here http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/threads/genuine-dna250-3x-18650-box-under-100au.6397/ about a very affordable DNA250 mod, I have one ordered & still awaiting restocking before being shipped but this mod costs less (even at full list price) than the DNA250 chip on its own so it's quite the bargain.
    Even if that mod is not to your liking, you could buy it just to pull the chip out & put it into another mod, it would be cheaper than buying the chip & refitting another mod ;)
    I am probably going to find the mod a little clunky after using the "ThinkVape Finder 250" mod, which I rate very highly but at a cost of under 1/2 of what the Finder was (at the time of purchase) I won't be judging it too harshly if it performs the same, which I think it will mostly.

Edit: another thing to look out for is mods with larger screens, the larger the screen the more light it needs to produce, the more light needed the more power needed to run the screen, this is where a lot of power can be saved.
    A mod with no screen & minimal LEDs, will use less power than a mod with a regular/small screen, which would use less power than a large screen mod, if they were all using the same chip & electronics inside & had the same number of cells.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  12. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

I find battery charge lasts longer if you recharge the battery when it's down to 25% power. Dunno just my observation. I use LG 2 brown.

13. Noe

LI-Ion cells can be ran down to 2.8v but it really isn't ideal to run them that low, most regulated mods have a cut out at around 3.2v cell charge to preserve battery life & health.
    However if you want to take that a step further, you could stop & recharge your cells when they get to 3.5v, which is probably the optimum time to recharge for longer lasting cells, there are some mods that have a cut out at 3.5v cell charge, the Witcher mod being one such I know of but they are less common than the mods that cut out at 3.2v cell charge.
    The DNA 250/200/75/75c or any DNA chip that can use Escribe software, can have its low cell voltage (cut out) manually adjusted using the software. This is an advanced feature though & by default I think the DNA 250 has a cut out at 3v or perhaps 3.2v per cell ( I know I adjusted my cut out manually using Escribe).

Rayjay likes this.
  14. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Thank you @Noe I have disposed of most of my mod collection and can no longer compare. I mainly now use the Procolor and the Dolphin which arrived yesterday. Indeed it is a blessing that we have Li-lon cells as they seem not to have memory like the Ni-Mh or the Ni-Cad batteries used to have. Indeed I do find that recharging Li-lon batteries as you suggest works best. The other point I would like to mention to newbies if you have mods with removable batteries it's always best to use external charges as I am not comfortable with internal charging circuits having had a mod an Smy God Mod vent on me in years past. Have not trusted a internal charging circuit since. Never had an issue with built in battery devices.

Another point to remember do not mix battery brands in multiple battery mods. Always use identical ones.

Noe likes this.
  15. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

I found the same thing with my new Aimidi, the battery's last around 2/3 the time as in my astra, i put it down to its big led screen and it's week battery shut off could kick in sooner than my astra as well, that was my thoughts

Noe and Rayjay like this.
  16. Noe

Sounds like it to me, if it's running a bigger screen & that screen is staying on for longer while the mod is idle, then it's sure to be eating more power.
    Some people like bigger screens on mods, so they can see info more clearly or at least larger numbers, personally I'm happier when my mod uses a smaller screen that isn't too bright & that doesn't stay on for a long time after I put it down, the shorter time it is on after I put it down the better.
    The trade off for having a big, easy to read screen is shorter run times, compared to a mod with a smaller screen, the same when it comes to how bright the screen is - the brighter it is the more power it is consuming & the length of time it stays on when sat idle should be self explanatory, obviously longer = more power lost.

Rayjay likes this.