battery lifespan

Discussion in 'General Hardware Discussion' started by crispernator, Jul 31, 2016.

1. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

Hi all just a question to those who know about batteries ,i have 2 x 18650 samsung 25r for my pico and smok treebox but will be adding to the haul as i go .What would be the ball park lifespan of one of these batteries ie: charges ,yearly lifspan if charged daily ect .the main reason i ask this is so i can determine when they will need replacing ,i was going to write on the side date of purchase mainly so i dont get caught out with say several batteries going down at once .I have just bought 24 aa batteries and they say (dont laugh) useable for up to 1000 charges , how accurate that is i dont know i have had some before but they were not so good but others i have bought have performed well .

Old Grump likes this.
  2. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Generally around 300 charge cycles give-or-take from memory.
    I put this at around 10-12 months of use charging once per day.

You'll notice quickly when they are nearing the end, as they will take longer to charge, and deplete quicker than usual.

Old Grump and crispernator like this.
  3. crispernator

Thanks for that Rupert ,this is why I don't think I will go back to a sealed unit again event though the I stick 80w looks nice in the timber finish ,at least you only throw the battery away when its done not the whole unit works out somewhat cheaper

rupert likes this.
  4. emu

emu Senior Member

The newish Green wrapped 25R's are rated at 250 charges from Samsung, Google is helpful for most brands :)

Old Grump and crispernator like this.
  5. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Member

You can significantly extend their life by running smaller cycles (ie. don't run them all the way down - discharging half way for example leads to 4 times the cycles - so about twice as many vape hours before retirement).

Also, charging them less than 100% also significantly increases their life span - the sweet spot (for longevity vs capacity) is charging only to 3.9V, which gives 60% of their full capacity, but leads to a long life of 2400 - 4000 cycles! (Which means about 4-5 times as many vaping hours as you would get by charging them to 4.2V)

My main charger flashes green when the charge is 80-90% done, though I haven't tested the voltage at this point, I always take them out if I am around. I also replace the batteries when the 'gauge' on my eVic says 50% discharged.

I used to get rid of batteries after a year or so - but then I got a backup charger that takes the guess work out of it and tells you how many mAh get put in to the battery during charging - once they can only hold 75% of their rated capacity (so if it was a 2000mAh battery - when it only holds 1500mAh) I retire them regardless of age/cycles.

Pippi, Old Grump and crispernator like this.
  6. crispernator

That's quite amazing jimmy jazz that it can actually extend the life span by not charging them so much gee there are some clever people here

Pippi, Jimmy Jazz and Old Grump like this.
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

That is interesting, I run a Rx 200s with three Green Panasonic's. Some times when watching tell I am 2BL to get up and change batteries and vape it as a pass through. When it's not fully charged the charge does seem to last longer than if I get up and change batteries.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

emu and Jimmy Jazz like this.
  8. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Member

Just to clarify, not charging them fully will mean that there is less capacity between 'charged' and flat (ie. a 'cycle'), but you will be able to cycle the battery many more times than if you did full charges.

In other words, if you want to get the longest time in between recharging then charge them fully as per usual, but if you want to maximise the total vaping time you get out of a battery before having to throw it out and buy a new one, then take them off the charger before fully done (at about 3.9V) and try to avoid draining them all the way down before swapping fresh ones in.

For my vaping, I can get almost 2 days out of a 3500mAh cell, but I replace it each night unless I am away from a charger - so that I get almost 3 years instead of 1 before having to replace. A tight arse and proud of it!

emu, Judith and Pippi like this.