Battery safety & which is the best battery to use?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Noe, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Your battery's charge can be seen similarly to a can of gas, when you release gas from a can you release pressure, similarly when you use charge in your battery you release pressure. As the pressure drops, inside the batt you need to turn the valve open more to keep up the same flow of electrons, if you are starting with the valve already wide open, then of course you are going to notice a drop off in power.
    Going back to the can of gas, now let's attach a pipe to the can, the diameter of the pipe will affect the maximum rate that pressure can flow, in the batts this is called max continuous amp rating.

Like I said previously, I don't use 26650s but I believe there are 18650's that can put out higher amps continuously than 26650s are able to do safely.
    Back to the can of gas, if your can is larger & has a thin diameter pipe, then it will push out gas for longer but at a slower rate than my smaller can of gas with a larger diameter pipe.
    The mah rating may be higher for 26650s (although this may not be the case) but they have "thinner pipes", some 18650's are much better at providing the power needed because they have "larger pipes".

When using FastTech, always pay the $2.50 or $3 for expedited shipping, you'll get your parcel within 2 weeks & there is a expedited option that allows batteries to be shipped (Pro tip - ship batteries this way without other items).

Old Grump likes this.
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Thank you Noe, for all the useful info. Muchas Grasiase

Noe likes this.
  3. embee

embee Senior Member U.S. Correspondent

That's a little worrisome. I have the LUC double sled charger...can switch between .5 and 1 amp. I use it at 1 amp for 18650s and .5 for 18500s. I don't always use both slots. Should I be concerned or only use it to charge 2 at a time?
    Is there anything else I should know?
    I'm still using only AW IMR batteries, and have never had a problem. I always check them on a multimeter.

Old Grump and DogMan like this.
  4. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

Just the 4 bay one I think. Even then I'm not 100% I'm not thinking of a different one

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

5. embee

embee Senior Member U.S. Correspondent

Thanks Doggie.
    I'm a worry wart with this stuff. I still don't understand all the technicalities and terminology of battery stuff, so I just go with what I know and keep it as safe as possible with my limited knowledge...and if you asked what I know I couldn't really tell you. I have the charts bookmarked somewhere. I know I'm not pushing any limits and I'm satisfied.

DogMan likes this.
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Hi Embee,
    I do the same as you and also never had an issue with the Luc V4 I am currently using AWT 18650 as well as Imren and Brillipower 26650's. I have charged a full bank of 18650's at 1.0A and the 26650' I charge 2 @ time at the same amperage. I have not tried the 26650's on the nitcore yet.

Old Grumpy

embee likes this.
  7. Noe

I think you will find you are only able to charge 1 x 26650 at a time in the Nitecore i4, unless they changed the housing design, with the batt in either slot 2 or slot 3, the slots 1&4 won't accomodate a 26650 (or at least the housing design a couple of years ago didn't) which is one reason I went for the JetBeam i4, its housing allows for 2x 26650's to be charged at the same time (not that I have ever charged any 26650s).

I'd be interested to know if you find this to be true of your i4 charger.

cloudmonster and Old Grump like this.
  8. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Don't stress embee. I haven't read the instructions since I bought it ages ago but the LUC 4 sled which was being discussed is fine with everything except 26650's which have to be charged in the two middle slots. I have no idea if it is related to physical size as I dismissed it as unimportant info for me since I don't have any 26650's. I use any slot and have never had a problem.

9. cloudmonster

cloudmonster New Member

Best thing to do is first familiarize yourself with Li-Ion batteries. I found this awesome article that gives you tons of good info.

I have 9 18650 batteries now, and my favorites are this Efest and the LG.

10. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

11. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Here you are Noe Sorry I was away for a while and missed your post.[​IMG]

Two of the fat buggers charging quite nicely on the LUC V4 by Efest. I rarely use the nitecore now days. I let them trickle charge @ 0.5A overnight. No point in speed charging. Would love to see a Squonker using these lol.

12. Noe

Good to know the LUC4 can charge 2x 26650's at the same time but I was interested in knowing if the i4 was capable of charging 2 of the same. If you have it handy can you see if 2x 26650's will fit into the sleds at the same time please?
    You don't have to actually charge them, just see if it will allow 2 to sit into it at the same time :)

13. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Ok when I get home will get it out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Noe likes this.
  14. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

@Noe, Had a look at the Nitecore, yes it will do the 26650 Batteries but the same configuration as the LUC only two at a time. I haven't plugged it in but the bay is very similar.

On a sadder note I hear from my supplier that China is no longer shipping Li 18650 Batteries or any other batteries by air. If this is true where the hell are we going to get them from?
    I looked as some aussie sites and hell they are expensive if you buy from non vape shops.

15. Noe

Did you actually fit them into the bays?
    My researched information is that the Nitecore i4 will only charge 1x 26650 at a time because the batts need to sit in either slot 2 or slot 3 & the space between those slots is too narrow to allow 2x 26650's to charge at the same time.
    If they have changed this since the review of the version I read about that is great, it is partly why I chose the Jetbeam i4 (same chip in both chargers) over the NC, because its design allowed for 2x 26650 charging in slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4, if I ever had need of it.

We can still get Li-Ions shipped here, it really depends on how they are packed & which shipping company is being used, most will not ship them now but if they are packed correctly, then there are companies that will ship.
    FT has an available option, reasonable prices & genuine cells.

Old Grump likes this.
  16. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Yes fitted to the bays, but did not turn on the charger, I wish I knew how to post photos here without having to use a url.

17. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

@Noe Here you are it works [​IMG]

Bay 2 and bay 4 only.
    Still prefer the LUC4 though as you can set the charging current

Noe likes this.
  18. Noe

Yes it looks like they changed the housing design slightly, it used to be higher on the edge near the pos end (I notice that it still causes the batt in slot 4 to angle but at least it fits in now), which prevented adding a 2nd batt when cvharging 2x 26650s.
    Good to know & thanks for going to the trouble to let us know :)

Yes I would too, since the LUC4 seems to be a decent charger from what people are saying but given the choice I'd still choose the OPUS BT-C3100 (v2.2), it has more functions & active cooling.
    Bang for your buck the OPUS is better IMO.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Catweazle and Old Grump like this.
  19. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

The least I could do considering you have done so much on so many forums helping all of us.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Noe likes this.
  20. Noe

That pic I posted of the OPUS isn't very clear but there are 4 function buttons under the words at the bottom.
    You can use them to select each slot individually & have each performing different functions or charging at different rates, by pressing the display button you can see different parameters per individual slot or on all slots at the same time.
    It's really very useful & informative for a charger that is not very expensive, I use it for much more than simple charging.

Old Grump likes this.