1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery safety & which is the best battery to use?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Noe, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

My immediate thoughts would be too many re-wrap rubbish being imported either knowingly or otherwise from China. Do we know what type of batterie?
    . The other would be as you said people using wrong batteries in their mods. I have seen reports of Ego II 's going off and also spare 18650's shorting when carried around in pockets with loose change, keys etc. I for one, if I need to take spare batteries with me use dedicated plastic battery boxes. They are not expensive. My thoughts would be on the lines stated above. In all my years of vaping I have had only one issue and that was caused by a defective internal mod circuitry. Now I point blank refuse to buy a vale that does not have a removable battery for charging.

Noe and The Vaper like this.
  2. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I've been much the same, but for different reasons. Batteries have a number of charge cycles before they get tired, & I'd rather replace the battery and run the mod for years (I'm a cheapskate ..& loving it). Plus I feel better knowing I can carry two mods that take 18650s and two charged 18650s and be confident of not running out before I get home.

Pippi, Old Grump and Noe like this.
  3. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I still like my chances that I have a 1 in aprox 1million chance of my battery exploding.
    I think to get a better picture of the % chance of likely ecig batteries exploding, it would be good to research LapTop/flashlight/other electronic devices using Li-Ion or Li-Poly batteries & their failure rates.
    The reason being, the battery tech is the same (esp in laptops which use 18650 batts in the power packs usually), knowing the failure rate for other devices which have wide spread use, will give us a general idea of expected failure rates for ecigs, plus I am sure that laptop battey failures will be well documented.

Most ecig battery failure results in no injury to people & most of those failures are due to incorrect use (trying to draw too much power from the batt) involving mainly poor imitations (rewraps, fakes etc) of genuine Brand batteries, from what I have seen.
    So this tells me that if the poor batteries are mostly to blame & many more are sold & used than have failures AND knowing that genuine branded batteries, when used within their limits, are much safer to use, then that 1 in 1 million chance is probably much higher for vapers using GENUINE BRANDED 18650 batteries (such as Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony).
    Suppose the genuine batts are 5 times safer to use(i'm not sure of the exact factor but it is likely higher than 5, perhaps 10 times), that would mean when using them correctly, a vaper would have closer to a 1 in 5 million chance of a failure or accident.

The US Navy probably records things such as someone vaping & slipping on a wet floor due to inattention as being an incident involving an ecig. Also cigalikes have higher failure rates than proper mods & cigalikes are probably more often used in the military, since carrying a mod in your pocket would stand out more. Not only cigalikes but other more stealthy mods, which use 18350 batts or Li-Poly batts, which are IMO not quite as safe to use as 18650 batt mods.
    I think I can recall about 3 or 4 incidents (in Aus) in my 5 years as a vaper, reported here on Australian forums, only 1 of which was not a eGo or cigalike & it involved a rewrapped batt, the eGo /cigalike incidents were all during recharging.

The Vaper likes this.
  4. Noe

I have these, which come in a range of colors, for less bulk & protective carrying in a pocket : http://www.gearbest.com/accessories/pp_259743.html?wid=21 or value 10 pack : http://www.gearbest.com/accessories/pp_259746.html?wid=21 they are equally as good IMO as long as they are in good condition.

[​IMG]

Hard plastic battery cases that hold 2x 18650s cost about $1 or about $2 for a waterproof version, which I find more useful for plane trips etc, the silicone cases I find more convenient for day to day use but they cost a few cents more.

Old Grump likes this.
  5. Noe

Going to edit the OP of this thread & include the video below it.

6. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Yep. I have some of the 'battery condoms' as I like to think of them, for batteries I toss in my carry around bag.. Quite handy.
    A B&M I attend won't let a battery leave the premises until it's been put in a (twin battery) case (that they provide for free). Kind of makes me want to buy them in pairs, but I resist the temptation.

Old Grump likes this.
  7. Noe

Responsible Li-Ion battery vendors will always provide a battery case, the cost is obviously built into the cost of the battery(s) but it is sound practice & I find even most online Chinese battery vendors do this.

The Vaper likes this.
  8. DogMan

DogMan Butler

jeebus, do you vape at 200 watts? or just go camping etc?

Old Grump and The Vaper like this.
  9. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

No, fairly low watts. The thing is, either or both of the two 18650s currently in the box mods might be near depletion (I often don't bother to check them before heading out) & I factor in getting hit by a bus and having to spend a few days in hospital (yeah, I know - paranoid). Plus I typically have two other tube mods that normally take 18350s but can be lengthened to take 18650s using extension tubes. So by carrying the 2 spare 18650s I'm covered multiple ways for 4 mods!

Not sure if that qualifies me for 'prepared like a boy scout' or 'obsessive compulsive enough to be committed' but I like the sense of security and don't over think it. ;)

Old Grump likes this.
  10. Noe

When I used single 18650 mods, I used to take 2 out with me, one as a back up & 1 spare batt.
    Sometimes even now I will take 2 mods with me, because if 1 fails unexpectedly I want to be able to vape & not feel like i could be tempted to smoke (not that I likely would I have snuff & snus with me most times also) but i will take my main mod which is currently my RX200 (3x18650 mod which runs for days) & a single 18650 mod as back up.
    My reasoning is this; if the main mod fails or is damaged, then I have a backup mod & extra spare batts I could use inside the main mod on the back up (not recommended unless in an emergency & you run all batteries in the main mod down to the same level in the backup), a spare fully charged 18650 battery for the backup is there in case the main mod is lost or stolen.
    This covers nearly all the bases & means you won't be out of a vape in most situations.

If you are using a multiple 18650 battery mod & it stops working & you have a single 18650 mod, it is safe to use the batteries out of the multiple batt mod in the single batt mod but you should always use a "married" set of batteries in a multiple batt mod. So if you are going to use those batts to power a single batt mod, then you need to run them all down to the same level to keep their "wear" even & keep them safe to use as a "married" set.

Old Grump and The Vaper like this.
  11. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

The extra complications of battery matching in multi battery mods is why I prefer the single battery units. I'm currently carrying two eVic VTC minis to fill that role. I like them a lot! :)

Old Grump and DogMan like this.
  12. DogMan

DogMan Butler

ok, i typically change batteries in the mornings. It is a squonker thing, since a bottle is roughly a battery is roughly a day worth

i take 2 mods, just in case contacts end up gunked up etc

my parallel mods i swap after 1 bottle too, even though batteries are at 3.9 volts, force of habit for a squonker

Old Grump, Noe and The Vaper like this.
  13. Noe

It really isn't that complicated, simply mark the batts eg. for my RX200 I have, A1 + A2 + A3 = 1 "married" set, B1 +B2 + B3 = another set (for 2x 18650 mods you would have A1 + A2 = 1 set), I also use different brands of batts in my 2xbatt mods than I do in my RX200 (3xbatt mod), Samsung R25s in the 2x mods & Samsung 30Q or LG HG2 in the RX200, this helps me keep them separated so I know which batts should be used in what mod. For single batt mods, I know which batts to use because none of those batts are marked & if ever any marked batts get mixed up, I just use them as single batts in those type of mods.

Old Grump likes this.
  14. DogMan

DogMan Butler

I bought brown bombers for easy identification of a pair. Thought I'd compare to 25r though, which I had a spare "pair". On mech it made 0.1v difference. So just going with 25r or hb6 30amp whites now. Keep pairs in battery packs.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Old Grump likes this.
  15. Noe

I bought the LG HE2 brown bombers to try them, then bought the Samsung 30Qs to compare to them, I prefer the 30Qs TBH.
    The LGs have had a few more weeks use so a direct comparison wasn't possible but I do seem to get a little more life out of the 30Qs compared to the LGs when they were new, plus the 30Qs are a little cheaper at most places that stock both, so IMO are better value.
    Mooch rates the 30Qs at 20A, same as the HE2s, although Samsung specs say 15A, I trust Mooch's assessment.

Edit: I'm not dissapointed in either the HE2 or the 30Q batts, both are quality, I think the 30Qs are just a little better value wise but if all you could find was HE2's at your chosen vape vendor, then you could buy them with confidence.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Old Grump and DogMan like this.
  16. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

emu likes this.
  17. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Know Your Vape: Batteries Debunked
    Here is another good movie for all on battery safety

Maria and emu like this.
  18. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

It has time to re wrap my Sony VTC5 I wondered why they never quite fitted into my KangarTech 160 Watt Squanker. Ok I take off the green wraper with a very faint QR Code which my QR scanner could not read. I find a reason why it would not fit my mod. It had a second sleve which did not show through the origional green wrap.
    Ok, I look at the writting on the inner sleve and this is what I find. I have a Code generator and I generated both codes which look nothing like the original code.
    I scan the code on the right and it opened up a whole pandora's box with a shit load of links and videos. The SE18650 should be SEUS18650VTC5 mine was not.
    The unreadable code on the green origional sleve was very faint and if you look at the video after the picture. The real Sony have a very distinctive code easily scanable and the fakes have a very faint code as mine did.
    [​IMG]

Now the video which shows how to detect the real Sony from the fake is below

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Noe and Maria like this.
  19. Maria

Maria Senior Member

What to say .shonky:violin:

Old Grump likes this.
  20. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

The problem is @Maria you do not know you are going to get a shonky battery until it arrives. Shonky dealers give all sorts of bullshit excuses that they were fooled by shonkey agent in China. A good dealer would have offered a refund and paid postage for the shonky product be returned to him or her.

DogMan and Maria like this.