1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery safety & which is the best battery to use?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Noe, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Unfortunately, there are few vendors I trust to ship me genuine 18650 batts, FT was my main source & they always shipped genuine cells but no more, there are no options left for shipping batteries from FT now. Hopefully they'll find another way toship them but for now, it is impossible to get them on FT.

I've been pretty lucky, in getting genuine cells every time but my luck is mostly self made, since I research vendors before purchasing from them, however, vendors sometimes get duped, good vendors will pull that stock immediately they discover the fakes & offer replacements/refunds to affected customers.

Old Grump likes this.
  2. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

@ Noe did you not give me a link some time back for an Aussie store on flebay?
    Are his batteries doggy also?

3. DogMan

DogMan Butler

4. Noe

go to fleabay, type supersports600 into the search bar, you'll find his store.
    His cells are all GUARANTEED genuine, he will replace fakes if he sent you any, at his own expense, not that he has ever had to do that because he is vigilant & knows the right suppliers to buy from.

subyXV and Old Grump like this.
  5. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

@ Noe, @ DogMan, Thanks guys I saved the links from before. Just wondering why Noe was upset that he couldn't get his batteries from FT when we have a decent supplier elsewhere.

6. Noe

Because FT has other vape gear I sometimes want too, so I used to get batts & other bits for vaping at the same time. Now I need to order from 2 separate places get get what I need.
    Which means I have to Postie stalk more...

Old Grump likes this.
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Poor Noe, Would you like to borrow my dog?
    He is an excellent postie stalker

Sent from my B1-730 using Tapatalk

subyXV likes this.
  8. DogMan

DogMan Butler

[​IMG]

iamTezr and Noe like this.
  9. Noe

Interesting.
    We'll probably see a few custom mods offering an 18650/20700 battery sled option initially, China may bring out a dedicated 20/700 mod version or two sometime after CNY, I predict but 18650's are still going to be king.
    With the trend to keep mods compact, adding length due to longer batteries isn't going to take off quickly, I don't think.

The Vaper and DogMan like this.
  10. DogMan

DogMan Butler

yeah, theoretically no new yankee products after 8/8 too

Noe likes this.
  11. Noe

Doesn't exclude the European market & you'll see retro fitting of older mods by DiY modders in the US. Custom mods in the US may also have enough room inside to offer the new sleds, even if they were pre- 8/8.

DogMan likes this.
  12. Donna

Donna Senior Member

[​IMG]

The Vaper and DogMan like this.
  13. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

There are other ways in which we, as consumers, can increase our battery safety, and these ideas are about the equipment we use:

Activate on puff

The AOP concept saves having to remember to turn mods off when stuffing them in pockets or bags. When I started vaping I never bothered switching mods off before tossing them in a bag. One day I pulled a mod out and noted the tank was much warmer than it should have been - obviously something in the bag had been pressing on the 'go button'. So now I'm more careful, but wish there were more mod/tank combos that activate when we draw on them, and that I no longer had to worry about it.

Regulated mods with inbuilt battery

Using a regulated mod with inbuilt battery has multiple advantages:
    • The manufacturer gets to select the battery design (& quality control) suitable for the maximum output the mod was regulated to handle. (Yes, I realise cases like the exploding Samsung Galaxy S7 phones contradict me here, but that was manufacturer SNAFU - and Samsung quickly recalled all the relevant units.) @Charles Vaper informs me this is why Innokin prefers making mods with inbuilt batteries.
    • The mod will refuse to fire coils whose resistance is too low.
    • There is no chance for a loose battery to short on keys, coins and other conducting objects.
    • The 'faulty charger' is again irrelevant, in that the 'regulated' part of regulated mod can also take over the maximum charge rate & duration for the inbuilt battery. Connect it to any mini USB and it should be safe.
    In 'full disclosure' here, I have to admit that every one of my main mods (ignoring the two Vision Spinners I keep mostly for nostalgia) has removable batteries, and it was one of the criteria for choosing them. Knowing that batteries have a particular number of charge cycles in them, I prefer to buy mods where I can just replace the batteries, rather than the entire unit. So perhaps a 'middle ground' could be reached with the manufacturer designing them so the 'inbuilt' battery can be replaced, but only with access to a screwdriver.

14. Noe

Some vapers like mods with built in batteries, I do not.
    Mods with inbuilt batteries are disposable devices, mods with replaceable batteries are reuseable devices. Reuseable is better for the environment because it creates less land fill but that isn't the only advantage, it is also less expensive to replace batteries than an entire mod & if I have 2 or more sets of batteries, while one set is charging another can be in use. Yes some inbuilt battery devices allow you to use them as a pass through but this means you are not free to move around & vape, you are stuck vaping at the power source, also it means the mod takes much longer to recharge & it creates a lot of not needed heat when using it this way.

DogMan likes this.
  15. Gabby

Gabby Member

What I would really like to see (and was very surprised wasn't standard) is the PV to turn off after not being used for a period of time, say 10 mins. Of course this wouldn't be liked by some chain vapers, or much use for one that's being bounced around in pocket or purse. I've never seen one with this feature, but I guess they must exist. Am I missing some history here?

16. Noe

Sorry for not replying sooner :)

Almost all mods have a "soft off" function, where the screen goes blank but leaves the mod in a state where 1 click of the fire button activates it again.
    However, I believe you mean a "hard off" function, like when it takes 5 clicks to shut the mod down (which also most mods do), except that you're implying a "hard off" under "soft off" conditions.
    This may suit a small number of vapers but for the rest it would be a complete PITA (pain), having to click 5 times every few minutes just to turn your mod on after setting it down on the counter etc is not something most of us want or need to happen.
    Sure it might be good if you're carrying the mod around but the rest of the time you are using it it is going to frustrate the hell out of you, it is much more practical to have a 5 click off function, which as mentioned, most mods already have.

Gabby, DogMan and iamTezr like this.
  17. Gabby

Gabby Member

Yeah, obviously less than ideal for chain vapers, but what % do you think are doing that.
    Option would be good, but that adds to cost & complexity unfortunately.

18. Noe

Not just chain vapers, I often take 2 or 3 puffs, then put the PV down for 5 mins while I do something else, then pick it up again & have another couple of puffs, then continue with what I was doing then a few more puffs 5mins later. That isn't chain vaping, it's vaping on demand.
    If my mod switched itself off every time I would be getting annoyed very quickly, I also think there are a lot more vapers that vape in a similar fashion than there are that would appreciate a mod that would need to be turned on with 5 clicks every time they vape with it & the greater majority of vapers would not like that functionality at all.

Pippi likes this.
  19. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I had one that turned itself off - I think it was the COV mini Volt - drove me mad but it died a pretty quick death so the problem was solved. ;)

Noe likes this.