Best Ohm meter reader for coil building?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Pippi, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

I think my cheapo Coilmaster Ohm reader is faulty .
    Advice on a good one would be appreciated.
    Not another Coilmaster one thanks :winky:

2. jobics

jobics New Member

I've been looking for a good one a few months ago. Consensus on the vaping forums for a quality unit is the one made by usaohmmeters. Actually, I've been looking at getting one for some time but was put off by the shipping costs. By the time I decided to get it, I went to their website ..... only to find that it wasn't in their product list anymore. Emailed them and got a response that they've stopped making them.

Bummer as my CM Tab 5221 finally gave up the ghost. I didn't want to get another Coilmaster as their QC is a bit shoddy.

Ended up with a UD Sifu. I don't recommend it, ohm readings is about 0.06 ohms lower than on my DNA mods. Between UD and DNA, I truse the DNA better.

Oh, I'm also using this cheap (relatively) from Fasttech https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10008111/1721502-atomizer-resistance-tester-ohm-meter about 2 years ago. Cheap, reading is the same as my DNA mods.
    [​IMG]

Pippi likes this.
  3. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Thanks Jobics - I ended up ordering this one - geekvape 521 tab.
    Vapers on FB seem to think its good.

Ps. I need to order some coils for my VT Inbox squonker from you.
    Thinking I could walk on the dark side and drop my Ohms a tiny bit :)
    I have a Nadia and a Halady clone :nod:

DogMan and jobics like this.
  4. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

ohm meters worry me in terms of vapergeddon

i had one of the expensive usaohmmeter ones, which was very accurate as advertised, but carked it

Pippi likes this.
  5. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Given up on ohm metres and just check it on the mod.
    Use one of those el cheapo fasttech ones above to build on.
    Avoid wicking on mod in case of accidental firing.

Flea, sirfoxey and Pippi like this.
  6. JakeFloyd

JakeFloyd Member

May i ask what coils you will throw in there?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Pippi and DogMan like this.
  7. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

At the moment I have 1.o1 nickel in the Hadaly but want to play around a little.

8. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

I use my mods now as I have tried 3 ohm readers and all gave different results. I have my DNA mod and my gpriv which both give the same reading within 0.01-0.02 difference. My ohm reader gives 0.1 ohms higher than my two mods. I figure the mods are more accurate now.

Posterboy and Pippi like this.
  9. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

Nichrome.

:*

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Pippi likes this.
  10. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Lol - yep thats what I am vaping :blonde:

DogMan likes this.
  11. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

oh shit we need to teach @Pippi how to vape. You vape the juice not the coil

Pippi and Noe like this.
  12. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

I only use SS now and first fire changes resistance anyhow. Better on DNA mod to build I reckon

sirfoxey likes this.
  13. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

DNA75/200/250 are the most accurate IMO, my Ijoy mods are all very close too(@Pippi I know you have an Ijoy Maxo ;) ), reading about 0.01 ohm out, my 521 Tab clone is 0.02 out most of the time.
    However to get the DNAs as accurate as possible, you need to use the Escribe software & zero the internal resistance of the mod, once you do that the only resistance the mod reads is that of the atty/coil & this is what makes for very accurate readings.
    DJLSB Vapes did a youtube tutorial on the DNA software & showed how to zero the internal resistance if anyone is interested.

Most mods are accurate to a point, including DNA mods but they read the internal resistance of the mod as well as the resistance of the atty/coil, the 521 TAB readers etc do the same, reading the internal resistance of the device & this can vary between unit to unit of the same brand & production run, an extra few mm of copper wire can add to the internal resistance, 1 broken strand on a multi-stranded core copper wire will add to resistance etc.
    The only mods I know of that allow you to zero the internal mod resistance are DNA mods that use the Escribe software & you can only do this with access to a PC running a Windows OS, Escribe does not work on Mac or Linux machines as far as I know.
    You can think of zeroing the internal resistance as being like using digital scales & using a bowl to hold small parts or something in to measure the weight. When you put the bowl on the weight of it can be cancelled by zeroing the scale & then when you lift the bowl off it will have a negative reading, put the bowl back on & it will read zero.

sirfoxey and Pippi like this.
  14. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Thanks Noe - way too complex for me!

DogMan and Noe like this.
  15. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

The TL: DR version:

DNA mod, using Escribe software (so the newer DNA chips - 60(maybe?), 75, 166, 200, 250) allows you to get the most accurate ohm readings.
    Without using the Escribe, the ohms readings will not be as accurate & will vary between DNA mods, even the same make & model of DNA mod.
    You only have to Zero the resistance, using the Escribe software, one time, after that it is set like a weight scale being set to Zero :)

sirfoxey and Pippi like this.
  16. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

Ta and PS - I dont have the Maxo quad anymore - ended up swapping it for a Reo sqounker and a few other things.
    Only made in china mod I have now is the VT inbox Sqounker.

17. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

if you are not pushing the limits of your batteries, it doesn't need to be 100% accurate

if your coil is 1.2 ohm and it says 1.1 ohm, that is okay when using lower wattages

a fasttech jobbie will do you for your personal needs, and someone mentioned above one that will last years

or just use a mod

iamTezr, Pippi and Noe like this.
  18. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I use a cheap and cheerful one that Vapeking used to sell which I now notice they don't, or at least I couldn't find it.
    I bought a 521 tab which I used for a while but due to its size stored it away and generally now revert back to the cheap and cheerful.
    However I do find the tab useful when stuffing around with twisted and Clapton wires as I use the crocodile clip thingys.
    To be honest I doubt the accuracy of both.

But due to the fact that I don't build very low I think and hope what I use is accurate enough.
    I can't be precise from memory but know that any difference has only been very little between the ohm reader,521 tab or a mod.

Probably worth a mention that some of my mods give ever so slightly different resistance readings too.

DogMan likes this.
  19. CoraDias

CoraDias New Member

Hi...as per my experience you need to use the Escribe software & zero the internal resistance of the mod, once you do that the only resistance the mod reads is that of the atty/coil & this is what makes for very accurate readings.Most mods are accurate to a point, including DNA mods but they read the internal resistance of the mod as well as the resistance of the atty/coil, the 521 TAB readers etc do the same, reading the internal resistance of the device & this can vary between unit to unit of the same brand & production run,

20. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

The Coilmaster tabs are useless imo, never had one that works properly. The last Coilmaster 521 i owned had a faulty switch on it. Just cheap and nasty stuff.
    I recently bought the Geekvape Pro Tab which works amazingly well and very accurate (close to the usaohmmeters). It also runs as a basic regulated 50w mod to test you atty without having to mount it onto a mod. It runs on a single 18650 battery. It's also a nice compact size, and has a decent weight to it so it won't move when building.
    So far I'm extremely happy with this reader.
    https://www.vapr.com.au/collections...eekvape-tab-pro-ohm-meter?variant=52101758229

laurie9300 and Pippi like this.