Best Vanilla Flavour Concentrate

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by Jennifer, May 8, 2017.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

My thoughts exactly. I was at a genuine loss as to where to go from there.

Aqualung, Pippi and Judith like this.
  2. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

Couple of points here . Yes there is supposed to be an apple hint to the Plain Jane , I just never used it . Like it enough with out it.
    In my opinion the V2 of Capellas Vanillas just do not ( to me ) taste as nice as the V1 s. I have also read others feel the same way about this on line somewhere .
    Here is one example
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2oam4f/capella_french_vanilla_v1_and_2/
    I have mainly been using Capella French Vanilla V1 in my mix and just yesterday made a mix with double the amount of fennel , just to see what it's like.

Gasman and Jennifer like this.
  3. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Thanks Jerry, sounds like the V2 is just generally shit all round.

My concentrates are here already. Juice Factory are awesome. :thumbup:

Judith likes this.
  4. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

The problem with vanilla is that virtually all are not stand alone flavours. They're meant to be mixed with additional concentrates. Cap vanilla custard V1 is certainly a rich buttery custard loaded with diketones however, Mother Murphy's (sold by Flavorah) is far superior as it has no Diacetyl and the custard although lighter is more natural. I add some FlavourArt fresh cream (1-1.5%) and or TFA French Vanilla (2%) and you have a very enjoyable, balanced flavour. One of the best vanilla's I've tried isn't available here and is made by Nature's Flavor.

Gasman and Jennifer like this.
  5. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Crikey that was quick.
    Pippi is rebuilding, and Jennifer is mixing juice.
    Feels like the world as we knew it has fundamentally shifted on its axis a degree or two.
    Good luck.

6. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Very quick Aqua, that's one of the reasons for attempting this, er......fiasco.

I've mixed up 10ml of black licorice, double apple, french vanilla. It's mediocre, so I put some vanilla cupcake in it. Still so-so, but not unvapeable.

My heart's not really in this to be honest, there is shit everywhere and I'm reminded of why I gave up on it all years ago. I think what I want is just one flavour concentrate that I don't hate, and a tiny bit of it in unflavoured juice to take the harsh chemical edge off...and be done with it.

The bavarian cream smells pretty good.

7. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

This sounds interesting. The only custard vape I really liked was by an English company and I liked it because it was light.

I saw the Flavorah ones on Juice Factory's site but had never heard of them so didn't buy any. Unfortunately they don't seem to have Mother Murphy's. :(

8. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

What proportions of each?
    Can we talk recipe suggestions?

9. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I put in;
    5 drops - black licorice
    5 drops - double apple
    30 drops - french vanilla
    20 drops - vanilla cupcake

The apple is definitely needed I think, but I think even less than 5 drops of each (& black licorice) would improve it for me. Maybe 3 drops of each, or 2. Both are overwhelmingly strong flavours to me.

Aqualung likes this.
  10. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Wow. 2 drops was going to be my suggestion.
    The total amount is about 20% all up, which for me is very strong.
    Maybe try starting at a total of 30 drops for your main flavours (10%) and those couple of drops of secondary ones.
    I'm finding that any total above 15% is almost sure to end up crap and chemically

Judith likes this.
  11. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

How do you know that 30 drops is 10%? Is that a standard thing that DIYers know? I have no concept of the maths part of this stuff.

Thanks for confirming about the 2 drops, it seemed ridiculously low to me. But I do prefer very subtle flavours (low percentages), so I'll take your advice.

Aqualung likes this.
  12. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Its not an ironclad standard, but 30 drops is about 1ml. (Give or take a few) Your total was 10ml, hence 10% estimate

Jerry used 0.5% fennel, which in your 10ml, translates to a little more than 1 drop. May be a better place to start. Easy to add another later

Judith and Jennifer like this.
  13. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Another one I forgot to mention was TFA sweet cream which I found quite nice at 10% but again I've no idea what lurks in the ingredients.
    A bit late now anyway...that was a quick delivery.

In my very limited experience I tend to agree with Charles in that vanillas are more of a ingredient than a standalone.

Of course as ever we are all different.

Have you thought about mixing a clone of a juice?
    I appreciate you'd have to know what the original is like to be sure but it might help.

I have an original Cuttwood Boss Reserve which is nice and to my tastes was a creamy and sweet vanilla with a very slight banana in the background.

Jennifer likes this.
  14. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Ok, just made another 10ml;

20 drops bavarian cream
    1 drop licorice
    1 drop apple

It's better. But doesn't compare to Plain Jane which is fuller, rounder, mellower, and much more complex. I think I just need to accept that I wont be able to achieve that.

Aqualung likes this.
  15. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Yep, that's the idea! I've been vaping Plain Jane from the US for, like, 3 years. So I'm trying to replicate that.

Thanks for the extra info Gas, I did look at Sweet Cream but hesitated because I was worried it might not be 'meaty' enough of a flavour. Or something. :)

Gasman likes this.
  16. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Baby steps. Don't toss it.
    Maybe add 10 drops of your vanilla custard. Round out the profile a bit, get up closer to the 10% total concentrares. We still hve room to move here

17. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Why are Vanillas so much darker in colour than other flavours?

What freaks me out about Plain Jane is that it goes such a dark brown colour after a little while, and I just don't like looking at that in my clearo. For some reason I would feel better vaping a completely clear juice. I admit that might be a bit deluded though.

18. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I just put one drop of vanilla custard in my 1ml clearo. I've finally accepted that I just don't like to vape vanilla custard, no matter how much I like to smell vanilla custard, and eat vanilla custard.

I'm wondering about a drop or two of coffee, just to give it some omph? But that will involve another purchase.

19. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Or some Ethyl Malto aka Cotton Candy perhaps, although it is a mild sweetener it mostly seems to add a bit of depth and body to some mixes especially vanilla's and custards without having much of an effect on the overall flavour profile. Some mixers don't like to admit that they use it because there is a sort of thing about it being called cheating in some some circles.

Just a suggestion but it does come in handy at times.

20. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

it'll just take time, perth jen :om:

i know you'll hate that

HIC is a well respected recipe maker. I think the full name is HeadInClouds on vaping underground. Maybe see if he has a vanilla something you can fine tune

most people start with copying others these days, then reinvent the wheel with from scratch recipes after a year or two of practice

it is usually recommended to mix up a batch of your concentrates as single flavours. Then it becomes like cooking, cuz just like you know what garlic tastes like, and know what lime leaves taste like, you can improvise more

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-mellow-vanilla.1865/

like that one