Best Vanilla Flavour Concentrate

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by Jennifer, May 8, 2017.

1. embee

embee Senior Member U.S. Correspondent

HIC's mellow vanilla is the one I use a lot. I tweaked it a little, lowered the vienna cream and added more vanilla bourbon and marshmallow, maybe by a half a percent each, I think.

He also has a "Simply Vanilla" recipe but I've never made that one as posted because it calls for TFA's sweet woodruff flavor, which was always out when I tried to order it, but I've made it without and it's also okay.
    Good starting points both.

Oh, and if you want to play around with any coffees, I suggest starting with one drop at a time. I gave up on coffee because they seem too strong to me, always. The best I've tried is FA's Tiramisu, and that one I can only use at about 0.5 percent.

Judith, Gasman, Jennifer and 2 others like this.
  2. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Thanks guys, that is really good info! I will check out some of HIC recipes and then when I get my head around things make another concentrates purchase I think....and may have to get some more bottles. And some labels.....sigh.

Judith and DogMan like this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Sorry, I was tired when I made that post and its pretty obvious you're trying to replicate a juice.

My excuse and I'm sticking with it!

Jennifer likes this.
  4. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Don't forget that steeping makes a difference too so don't throw everything out and when you have perfected your recipe throw all the discards into one bottle and see what it takes like. It will probably be fabulous and you will never be able to replicate it. :sillygrin:

Vape Wizard is another ingredient used to enhance flavour but I haven't used it. I think it might be the equivalent of MSG in food in adding that extra something. There is one made by Flavour Art so it wouldn't have any of your nasties.

Gasman, Jennifer and DogMan like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I have some vape wizard as I believed it was intended to help flavours blend together better.

To be honest I've tried it a few times and have absolutely no idea what it does. To my knowledge it's made no difference to anything I've mixed and has added no discernible taste?
    To be fair I don't think it's intended to be a flavour but an additive and my comment could well be the result of user error.

Judith likes this.
  6. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

LOL Yes it is like MSG adding the umami flavour to food I think which doesn't have a lot of overt flavour itself but adds extra to the food. I think the Wizard is supposed to give more mouthfeel too but don't quote me. It is a while since I read about it and I should do some mixing myself and try it out.

Gasman likes this.
  7. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Well, the vanilla custard turned out to be a crap suggestion. For some reason I had in mind that it was one of your preferences. The 1 drop in a ml was a great idea. Imagining a pile of tainted coils on your worktable now though.

Jennifer likes this.
  8. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

I drained out the clearo with the custard and refilled it. Been vaping it all day and I'm miserable, so that's a win. :)

Judith likes this.
  9. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Jen, Mother's Murphy makes the flavours for Flavorah and many are as good if not better than the more common brands like Capella and TFA.

Jennifer likes this.
  10. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

Jen seriously IMHO the v2s just don't taste that good. None of the creaminess and full mouth feel that v1 has.
    It's like trying to make an omelette with out eggs . I threw all my v2s down the drain.
    Both the French and Custard v1 s far out shine the v2 s.
    I personally don't care about the stuff in it , but I am old and stuffed anyway !
    oh and I think I usually put a wee drop or 3 of em in the mix. but not much.
    But this is all just MHO .
    Jen would you like me to send you some v1 to try ? I buy it in bulk and will not miss it.

Jennifer, DogMan and Gasman like this.
  11. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

An omelette without eggs...
    I like that analogy.

I honestly think that I should think more about nasties but in my opinion as I'm not smoking I'm in front.
    I've not tried Capellas Vanilla custard V2 but certainly enjoy V1. Your opinion seems to match a lot of opinions that I've read in that V1 is far superior.

DogMan likes this.
  12. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Shit, I just re-read this; meant to say 'I'm not miserable'.

Aqualung, DogMan, RC. and 1 other person like this.
  13. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

You are a sweetheart! But I'm actually ok with the Bavarian Cream at the moment. I've been vaping it for the last two days and it's actually quite good. I'm about to make some more. :)

I need to do another order anyway, to get some more PG/VG and a few other things to try. So I'll get some of the V1 as well.

Thanks Jerry. :)

14. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Charles, Juice Factory has these two from Flavorah;

Vanilla Pudding
    Vanilla Custard

They are $10-12, so a lot more expensive than the others. Do you know if they are more concentrated? And have you tried the pudding? I might get both actually.

15. Charles Vaper

I have not tried the pudding but the custard is superb and most of FLV flavours, as with FlavourArt, are more concentrated although this vanilla custard is best around 6-8 %. Based on what else is used and steep time. The vanilla, although more subtle than some, is the best part and the custard sits further back in the mix. If you're in need of something prominent and a tad on the strong side, this may not be for you. Capella's vanilla custard, while full of diketones, is far more intense and therefore easier to work with. Forget their version 2, it's really a bit yuck.

Just FYI, Jungle Flavors make an excellent Bavarian Cream too. Can work well with FLV Vanilla Custard too.

When it comes to concentrated flavours as a whole, Flavorah (Mother's Murphy's) and FlavourArt are often a little more authentic than many of the common or widespread brands. I'd love to hear how you get on. Cheers my dear..

Jennifer likes this.
  16. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

Both are good flavours Jen. Solo, the pudding needs 4-6% and the custard 6-8....

Jennifer and Charles Vaper like this.
  17. Charles Vaper

Laurie is the sort of guy I could sit and chat to about DIY for hours. Hope all is well mate...

Jennifer and laurie9300 like this.
  18. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

All good here Charles!

Charles Vaper likes this.
  19. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Thanks Charles and Laurie! :thumbup: Will definitely give Flavorah a go, it sounds exactly what I'm after.

Charles Vaper likes this.
  20. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Jen, I havn't chimed in yet, knowing lots of others would.
    I'm not going to recommend any flavors for DiY, I could recommend 10 & you could hate every one of them.
    IMO if you're going the DiY route you need to accept that finding the perfect flavor or combination of flavors is going to take time & several attempts, keep your eyes on the prize & don't be discouraged.

Some tips that should help though:
    1. Mix up single flavors (as in 1 concentrate only) in 2ml - 5ml amounts. This creates less waste but also allows you to test flavors quickly & taste just the individual flavor.
    2. Rate each flavor you test into 5 categories- A. OMG must have, B. Good, C. OK, D. meh maybe to add a note to something else & E. Drain cleaner/ Yuck. This gives you a good reference of which to try to blend together to get a good flavored juice.
    3. Mix larger amounts of the flavors you like maybe 20ml & smaller amounts of the flavors that are ok say 10ml.
    Then combine 2 flavors at a time simply by adding a few drops of each to make about 0.5ml in a bottle, this way you've mixed the single flavors to how they taste best to you, so now you are combining the flavors to find how they taste best together in what ratio or if at all. Find the combinations you like or don't hate & tweak the ratios (ie add 5 drops of juice A to 2 drops of juice B) & yes use drops as the measurement, later you can use mls instead of drops so 3 drops would become 3mls etc, keep tweaking until you find the blend that tastes best for each combination.
    When you have the 2 flavor combinations blended to how they taste best you can start trying to add a third flavor to them, again a drop at a time, you'll know fairly quickly if this third flavor works well with the other 2, if it doesn't move onto the next single flavor with the same pair.
    Yes it's a lot of testing & will take time but it'll produce the best results for your tastes.

BTW, if you need an RDA built to 1.2 ohms single coil & some wick to make testing easier you know where I live ;)

Jennifer, Judith and Charles Vaper like this.