Campaign in Bennelong This Saturday! Volunteers Needed!

Discussion in 'New Nicotine Alliance Australia' started by Dr Attila Danko, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Dr Attila Danko

Dr Attila Danko Senior Member

We are going to do our biggest political action ever! This Saturday, 16th December, we are going to go on an all-out campaign to make headlines and put the issue of vaping into the political consciousness.

We have indications that the Liberal Party is moving towards an anti vaping stance, as we have seen with MP Greg Hunt's public statement that nicotine vaping is never going to be legalised "on my watch".

They haven't listened to the science. They haven't listened to the moral argument. They haven't listened to the vapers...but they will be made to listen!

MP's may not care about the evidence, they may not care about smokers dying; but they DO care about their votes!

We are going all out on this one. Every resource we can bring together for this. Every alliance we can get.

This is huge. This is historic. This could lead to the fall of the Turnbull Government itself! They only have a one seat majority. They are desperate to hold on to every vote they can. Even a 1% change could make the difference. The vapers vote could be the difference.

All the eyes of the Liberal Party will be on the seat of Bennelong this Saturday 16th of December. The seat holds particular emotional trauma for the Liberals after Maxine McKew tossed the Prime Minister John Howard out of this very seat in 2007.

We will be producing a scorecard for every candidate's position on legalising nicotine vaping as a consumer product. We have already asked each candidate and political party for their position by email and we will call them if they have not responded by tomorrow. If they do not respond by tomorrow by close of business we will assume they are in favour of the status quo and in favour of keeping it illegal. So far we have the Science Party that has responded to us in the positive.

We will widely spread this scorecard across all social media channels and also get it into the media.
    We will be producing a leaflet based on this scorecard to hand out at as many electorate booths in the seat as we can, standing alongside all the people handing out how to vote cards.

It's said that one letter to an MP is counted as 100 people who have the same opinion but aren't motivated to write.

What about an entire team of people who are determined to make a difference by handing out cards to influence the vote on an issue like this? Perhaps each person represents 1,000 others with the same opinion?

The media will be there in droves. They are always looking for something different, and we may very well be very interesting for them and we will gain a lot of attention.

It will be politically neutral, not saying who to vote for, just publicising each party's policy on this issue.

We hope to produce bunting to put up near every booth. We also hope to print T-shirts with New Nicotine Alliance on them. We are going to burn the issue of vaping deep into the consciousness of the major political parties.

Poke the bear? We are now the bear. The politicians have poked us once too many times. The wrath of Australian vapers is coming down like a storm upon them!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Noe, margyb and Flea like this.
  2. Dr Attila Danko

Dr Attila Danko Senior Member

Some ideas about what to write on the leaflet: Concentrating on families, life, death, being sad or delighted. Being more than reasonable.

Vaping/using an e-cigarette with nicotine in Australia is illegal, with penalties of up to $45,000 or jail terms of up to 2 years in some States. NSW is one of the more tolerant States with the penalty only being a maximum $1000 fine. (this encourages people to volunteer)

We represent vapers who are deeply saddened that giving up smoking this way is punished in Australia. Switching to vaping is encouraged by Public Health and Government in the United Kingdom, because it is at least 95% safer than smoking. Most other developed countries also allow people to get off cigarettes by vaping with nicotine. But not Australia.

We are vapers who have gained so many benefits to our health by switching to vaping and our families are so delighted with our better health and reduced risk of dying. We tried and tried to give up smoking using every other way, and failed, but we succeeded in saving our own lives by switching to vaping.

We are only asking that this choice is made legal and available like cigarettes are.

Here is the scorecard for the candidates and their parties for the seat of Bennelong on their position on legalising nicotine vaping. If you care about our lives, if you care about making sure every option to quit smoking is allowed, consider which of the candidates and their parties supports this choice and which ones would rather see people smoke and die.

Noe, margyb and Flea like this.
  3. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Can I suggest something?
    In the US the, "I Vape, I Vote!", slogan worked with much success.
    Having a placard with that slogan at poling stations, will draw a lot of attention, it's simple & direct, it sends a message to politicians & it's one the media will be quick to take note of.

5. Nico and Laughter

Hi all just a really quick update on this.

Flyers and election signs are printed. We only ordered 10 000 which sounds like a lot but I was concerned we wouldn't get many volunteers which turned out to be the case. So we are targeting the biggest polling booths so it should be just about the right number. Also these are the booths where Kristina Kenealy and John Alexander are likely to visit with a media Entourage in tow. So hopefully we get some media coverage.

The point behind this has been to put pressure on the major political parties as it looks like liberals are heading towards medicalization for vaping, ie more of the same. We wanted to remind them that a small but significant group of voters are vapers and this matters to us. To a degree this has happened already because of the emails between myself and each candidates to find out their position.

Here's hoping we get some more media coverage because that will help even more.

Noe likes this.
  6. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

@laurie9300 has made these fliers up on who to vote for in the Sydney Bennelong bi election (round of applause for Laurie on a rush job) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    I hope the link works

Link to view the flyers:

who supports vaping

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Noe, The Vaper and laurie9300 like this.
  7. Nico and Laughter

It worked for me. I just want to say a massive thank you to Laurie who once again came through with the design of the fliers. I love the I vape and I vote with the Aussie flag.

The Vaper, margyb and laurie9300 like this.
  8. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

OK.. Attila is probably still sleeping from his gargantuan effort, and Annette has to travel back to Wollongong after staying in Sydney today to be interviewed for a doco. I'll share some details that the three of us sent each other by text about the result of our efforts in Bennelong.

First, @Dr Attila Danko:

Text 1:

If you zoom in you'll see Christopher Pyne in front of our poster. I chatted with him about vaping.

[​IMG]
    Text 2:

Vaped in front of Bill Shorten for about an hour and talked about vaping.

[​IMG]
    Text 3:

So I think it was a good day for advocacy.

laurie9300 and margyb like this.
  9. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

A text from @Nico and Laughter, that I'll try to recreate verbatim (would you believe that a tech geek like me does not know how to use a phone to access VCA, or to easily transfer texts to a desktop computer? If not, start believing it!)

(My day) was hot but a blast. Tried to talk to Kristina Kenealy but her minders moved me on. Handed out a lot of fliers but then it went quiet so I ended up talking to a lot of volunteers about vaping. Got some interested feedback. Especially from the Greens and progressives. Le(f)t about 4 pm exhausted, so stiff I could barely walk. Am going to have a spa and an early night.

laurie9300, RC. and margyb like this.
  10. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

And now for a summary of my own day!

Was there (at West Ryde Public School) before 8 when the poll opened. Came in through the back of the school on the less busy / insane side and set up near the booth itself, just closer to the booth than 2 nice young conservatives boosters from Liverpool. An AEC lady came out and expressed concern that I 'might' be too close to the polling booth. I smiled cheerfully and asked her to let me know if / when she found out for sure.

After a while the conservative couple moved significantly further away, up to the shade of a tree (still inside the entrance to the school) where there was more breeze, leaving me as the last person handing out flyers before the people got in to make their vote. I liked that, since it often left them reading the flyer they'd last received - ours!

Since I had not seen our signs on the way in (through the back of the school) I went around the front to check if they were there. Malcolm Turnbull was there! I was tempted to try and trick a photo with him, at the last moment holding up our flyer. But it was a madhouse! (But I was really more worried that whichever Liberal hanger on that took the shot, would wake up to my ruse at the last moment and smash up my phone to stop the photo going out!)

O.M.G. it was crowded out the front - a bloody madhouse. I hung around for ten minutes, but given the barrage of Labor and Liberal flyer handing out people (their must be a term for them - shrugs), plus three coppers just to maintain order, that after ten minutes I had not managed to hand out a single flyer! I found our sign, grabbed a photo for posterity, and headed back out the back.

[​IMG]

I had a steady stream of people coming in the back way, and continued handing out flyers. The ones least likely to take a flyer were not the people with nothing in their hands, but the people with a single 'how to vote' paper. So when one approached with a scowl, I smiled, said 'good morning!' and thrust a flyer in his direction, I was a bit surprised when he took it and paused.. Only to look sharply back at me and ask "Aren't you too close to the polling booth?" I gave him my best smile (which ..might have been more of a smirk) and replied "Well, the lady from the AEC doesn't seem to think so - I'm more than 6 meters from the entrance!". He shoved a thumb over his shoulder to the back entrance of the school grounds and said "That's the entrance" but I maintained that the entrance was still ahead of him, and smiled broadly.

I heard no more from him, but it was getting hot under the awning where I was standing, and I decided to move closer to the conservative couple (but still closest to the polling booth) about 20(?) meters way.

Yet another angry voter later claimed much the same thing at the 2nd spot I'd chosen. Some time after that, the OIC of the AEC approached me and said WTE "OK.. it's not technically illegal to be where you are, but would you mind at all, moving further away (to the trees where the conservatives couple are standing)? Because - if we allow you to stand here, then the rabble which were lining the road outside the gate might be tempted to all come here." (Note: my words, not his!) I gave him a smile, and agreed to his polite request. (Heck, their position had better breeze anyway, and I was still the last word in flyers. ;) )

So I handed out more flyers, engaging a little with some voters (many of whom were surprised at the state of affairs) and had some fun talking more to the conservative couple, and some of the Liberals (who seemed totally cool with me handing out flyers recommending people not vote for them) a nice young lady who was handing out flyers recommending anyone but the Liberals, and a guy from the Labor party - who took my flyer, read it, grunted and moved off. :rofl:

Attila dropped by and (after a frustrating time trying to find me) brought me some lunch and a second sign I could attach to the trolley I used to haul the flyers from my home. It was probably the only sign that was actually inside the school grounds (all the rest were attached to the fence running around it). A few people stopped and pondered the content, as I continued handing out flyers till around 3 pm. I kept waiting for the AEC to show up again and ..kindly ask me to remove that sign from the school grounds, but they never did!

[​IMG]

Dr Attila Danko, Noe, Pippi and 3 others like this.
  11. Nico and Laughter

Sorry it's taken me so long to post guys but the weekend was huge and I needed to sleep for a few days just to recover.

Well Attila dropped me off at 8am or just before. And there was a sea of red t shirts (labor) and the Kristina Kenealy arrived. So with a certain amount of egging on by the conservatives I went over and smiled at her and offered to swap flyers. Stupid idea I know but I wasn't sure how else to start a conversation! She declined then ignored me and two seconds later an election official came over and told me I couldn't hand out flyers with in 6 m of the gate. Except that not only was her helpers handing them out but so was she! Eventually all the other parties complained and they were asked to move back from the gate.

After that I got in the swing of things and things got really busy handing out flyers. Eventually things slowed down and I started chatting to other party members including Bob Brown. Who was as warm and pleasant as Simon Chapman. However all the other green party members I spoke to we're really interested in vaping and asked me to contact the party once more as they felt it could be really helpful.

Other parties were quite interested and I had some pretty good conversations with them all. In fact it turned out to be quite a hoot! Myself and the minor parties took over a stategically placed shady tree. We called it the minor party tree. When some of the young liberals wanted to share our shade we negotiated an ice block as our price ( it was bloody hot) and it was pretty useful because I was able to talk to them about vaping and a couple even took my flyer. Later on Labor handed out their left over ice blocks to us and I felt compelled to take one as I couldn't be seen to be showing any bias.

Overall I think it was an incredibly useful exercise. I think we are starting to get vaping on the political agenda. The emails, the personal contacts, the election signs and the flyers really were worthwhile. Next time we will have more time and it will be even better. But the major parties noticed believe me. And that was the point of the process and despite being horribly hot and exhausting it was worth every minute.