1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

Cleaning & storing gear, changing juice

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Gabby, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Gabby

Gabby Member

I'm going to ask these in one hit because they're related.

1. What's the advice on storing one of my kits for a few months? How do I clean it? Does the juice leave a residue? What about the coil? Should I do regular cleans anyway?

2. What's the best way to change juice when there's still some in the tank? Do I need to clean the coil? (I don't mind having a short flavour mix.)

Gabby

2. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Remove Battery or if it is a inbuilt one ensure it is turned off. Wash Atty in warm soapy water and rinse well - Air Dry- I would probably throw out the coil.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    sirfoxey, Firekombi and Maria like this.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Agree with @ Pippi. With changing Juice...throw out the coil or if still good put it into a zip plastic bag and label it with the flavor used. If you are going to vape menthol flavours use a dedicated tank for them and coil of course as menthol contaminates tanks badly and very hard to get rid of the taste. I mix in glass jars and for menthol mixes I also have dedicated glass jars and measuring glass columns (laboratory quality)

Moving towards a tobacco free World!

Maria likes this.
  4. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

PG is a solvent and while it won't hurt anything atties are made of it might hurt some delicate surfaces if left on (e.g. a French polished piece of furniture). If I was storing for months I would definitely clean them the way Pippi described. Probably wouldn't be a problem though apart from being unsightly if you didn't. Neither PG or VG are a friendly environment for micro-organisms.

If you are storing batteries it is apparently best to drain them of charge a little so they are not fully charged.

I'm with you on the don't care if the juice is mixed for a tank full rather than throw out a perfectly good coil but I am a pretty slack vaper. Just vape the liquid (if you like it) until the level is low and either tip out the rest or just re-fill it with the new liquid. Most pre-made coils don't clean well. You can dry burn a ceramic coil to get off the burned on junk but you can't do that with a cotton wick. Mostly people just chuck out cotton wicked pre-made coils rather than try to clean them.

Firekombi, Maria and Old Grump like this.
  5. Gabby

Gabby Member

Thanks all - I'm learning ...
    Presumably in washing an all in one I avoid getting water in the switches, batteries, etc.

I don't think I'll be using menthol. Research I've seen suggests it's higher risk that the normal food flavourings.

6. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I don't use menthol so I can't comment on that but from what I've seen in videos most people seem to use blunt tipped syringes to clean out all in ones. Definitely avoid getting water in the electronics. Some people use canned air to dry them but I would probably just use a cotton bud and finish with a good air drying. If you have some vodka or isopropyl alcohol kicking around you could finish with a wipe of that (if you were worried about it still being grubby) and let it evaporate but I wouldn't worry about it too much. The life of mods seems to be pretty short before they end up in the cupboard to be replaced by something new and shinier. :sillygrin:

margyb, Pippi and Old Grump like this.
  7. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Gabby my suggestions were for Vapes with removable Tanks - in the case of an all in one - follow Judith instructions and clean out with a cotton bud (I use paper towel for my Aio) Definitely dont wash in water!

margyb and Maria like this.
  8. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Can't stand menthol flavoured mixes myself but some of group do. Damn expensive too.

Moving towards a tobacco free World!

9. subyXV

subyXV Member

Everyone has posted great ideas. Im lucky that between my wife and I we have a few tanks.
    I clean mine in warm soapy water then air dry them. I get some tissue to help soak up the water in my coils. Store all your liquids in a dark place and if you can ensure that dark place is cool - happy days.

Pippi and Judith like this.
  10. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

I sometimes wonder if we get over concerned with cleaning atties.
    The juice itself is a substantial antibacterial agent.
    Changing coils, or rewicking and dry burning rebuildables, gets rid of collected carbon, oxides and other impurities that collect in the juice and are filtered in the cotton.
    I'm not sure what else there is to worry about.
    I could well be catastrophically wrong, it has happened before.

Pippi and Judith like this.
  11. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

There's an easier thing to do than clean coils, which is realitically impossible.
    But you can tootle puff on the coil in an "almost empty" tank til just before a dry hit.
    There's not much juice left in them then.
    I've personally never put detergent near the internals of anything. Luke warm water and elbow grease..
    I also rinse out my AIO under the tap. Very low pressure couple of mls swish and repeat.
    I only dry with lint free materials or better still allow air drying.

Noe, Pippi and Old Grump like this.
  12. Gabby

Gabby Member

Is the juice water soluble?

Old Grump likes this.
  13. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Yes, everything in e-liquid should be water soluble.

Old Grump likes this.
  14. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Yes, I agree and very rarely wash my tanks ( drip tips are another matter and wash those daily) although I am prone to forgetting to refill my tanks and when that happens and the nasty burn thing happens - I wash the tank and throw away the coil :)
    A few months ago I semi retired some tanks - stored them upright in a cool dark dungeon - without use they leaked and it was messy :bolt:
    Note to self - always empty tanks and store without juice in them. :)

Judith and Aqualung like this.
  15. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Where's your sense of adventure?

Throw your AIO in the dishwasher & let it stand for 24hrs, hopefully it'll be properly dried inside by then, if it doesn't fire up or if it blew up in the dishwasher just buy a new one :p

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seriously though, a Joyetech AIO is a sealed unit, apart from the usb & fire button. If you hold it tightly wrapped by your forefinger & thumb, just above the fire button, with the tap running slowly, you can safely rinse out the tank while holding it on an angle to avoid wetting past your grip.
    Then dry out the tank with either cotton or a paper towel.
    That is how I will do it, when the AIO I have here needs cleaning, if you take care, there won't be a problem doing this. If you are worried that you can't get a good enough grip to seal around the device, you could use a piece of tape over the USB while washing - which is the easiest point for water to get in & hold the button upper most in your hand while washing.

Judith and Pippi like this.
  16. Noe

I just wipe mine with a paper towel that has a drop of juice on it, gets rid of the crusties & the PG/nic kills any microbes. Alternatively use Teflon drip tips, crusties never form on teflon DTs ;)

Aqualung likes this.
  17. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

I hate crusty drip tips too. I tend to 'chew' a bit, so reluctant about teflon. Have recenty got a few POM dts, and like the feel, and they resist crusting very nicely

Pippi likes this.
  18. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I have a few Teflon drip tips and like them. I use cheap pipe cleaner brushes from FT to wash them. :)

Aqualung likes this.
  19. Noe

POM isn't much harder than teflon but teflon is far superior when it comes to non-stick, I have used the same teflon DT all week without cleaning & not a single crusty can be seen on it, it looks like it was just washed.
    Teflon is also more heat resistant than POM, so if you're using high wattage, there is less chance of it melting or releasing gases.
    I won't use POM or other plastics but I do use teflon, I prefer glass or stone though but getting the right shape of DT in glass or stone to match a atty can be difficult.

Pippi likes this.
  20. Gabby

Gabby Member

Good tutorial this one - thanks all.

Another question. How long would you leave it with juice in it but not in use?