1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Clive Bates coming to Aus next week. Yippee

Discussion in 'Politics, News, Media, Campaigns' started by margyb, Oct 12, 2017.

1. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

I do hope he gets to talk to our politicians on the ecig committee

link
    https://www.clivebates.com/is-australia-falling-behind-on-tobacco-policy/

Introduction
    I’m visiting Australia next week and looking forward to some good discussions with people holding any and all points of view on vaping, nicotine and smoking. My aim is to share experience from the US and UK where we are seeing encouraging uptake of low-risk vaping alongside an unusually rapid decline in smoking. Historically, UK has always had substantially higher levels of smoking than Australia, but in 2016 that gap has finally closed. Both countries have comprehensive tobacco policies – albeit with some differences in the details and Australia generally the first to do new measures, like plain packaging. But there is one major difference. UK (and especially England) now encourages smokers to switch to low-risk alternatives like vaping, while Australia actively prevents it and actually criminalises people who try to protect their own health in this way.

Five talking points inspired by the Royal College of Physicians
    The case I want to make is that Australia is missing an opportunity, and there is a human cost for that in terms of cancer, heart and lung disease and premature death. I’ve structured my talking points around five of the key findings of the excellent April 2016 Royal College of Physicians (London) report: see Nicotine without smoke: tobacco harm reduction and press release. It was, of course, the RCP that first put the dangers of smoking on the public agenda with its groundbreaking 1962 report, Smoking and Health.

Noe, laurie9300, Pippi and 4 others like this.
  2. margyb

:):)I made a comment thanking Clive and see Andrew has too @The Vaper

3. margyb

Colin Mendelsohn had this on twitter

Dr Colin Mendelsohn
    2 hrs ·
    Leading UK #tobacco policy expert, Clive Bates is coming to Australia next week to give evidence to the Parliamentary Inquiry on #ecigsand to share the UK experience with decision makers. Clive is a leading advocate for tobacco harm reduction with #ecigs and other reduced risk products. He was director of ASH UK for 6 years. Read his analysis on Australian policy here.

Noe, laurie9300, Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  4. DogMan

DogMan Yes

look at you margy, the twitter guru with breaking news :h:

Pippi, Jerry Hatrick and margyb like this.
  5. margyb

Looks like some Health people have refused to meet with Clive

[​IMG]
    Alex Wodak @AlexWodak

Replying to @Clive_Bates
    Very important must-read comments by peerless commentator on #e-cigs. Unfortunately many leaders sig Australian health orgs declined to meet

Pippi, Jerry Hatrick and DogMan like this.
  6. margyb

From Colin Mendelsohns website

Link

http://colinmendelsohn.com.au/posts/leading-e-cigarette-advocate-clive-bates-visiting-australia/
    Leading e-cigarette advocate Clive Bates visiting Australia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Clive Bates is visiting Australia from the UK from 15-20 October 2017 to give evidence to the Parliamentary Inquiry on e-cigarettes.

Clive is one of the world’s leading experts on tobacco harm reduction policy and science and was the director of Action on Smoking and Health UK for 6 years.

Clive will also be doing media interviews and meeting key decision makers while in Australia. He says, 'my aim is to share experience from the US and UK where we are seeing encouraging uptake of low-risk vaping alongside an unusually rapid decline in smoking'. He says the major difference between Australia and the UK tobacco policy is that:

'The UK… encourages smokers to switch to low-risk alternatives like vaping, while Australia actively prevents it and actually criminalises people who try to protect their own health in this way'.

Historically, UK has always had substantially higher levels of smoking than Australia, but in 2016 that gap has finally closed. The rate of smoking in the UK has now caught up to Australia. In England it is lower.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    The Vaper, laurie9300, Pippi and 2 others like this.
  7. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I cant find that mentioned Margy - can you copy and paste the relevant bit please :)

8. James P

James P Senior Member

Margy you've only linked Alex's Twitter main page. Are you saying Alex refused to meet Clive? I would find that odd!

9. margyb

Sorry
    Alex said in his tweet that health orgs in Aus refused to meet Clive

Alex and Colin Mendelsohn know Clive Bates from GFN

10. margyb

James P, The Vaper and laurie9300 like this.
  11. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Still cant find it - I hate Twitter! this is a forum and endless links to twitter is giving me the shites if I am honest - very frustrating. :cry:

12. DogMan

DogMan Yes

:blonde:

alex wrote this

Very important must-read comments by peerless commentator on #e-cigs. Unfortunately many leaders sig Australian health orgs declined to meet

margyb and Pippi like this.
  13. margyb

[​IMG]

laurie9300 and Pippi like this.
  14. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Thanks Margy :)

margyb likes this.
  15. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

@margyb I realize my post was really tackless - it wasn't directed at you and please keep sharing everything you find.
    I am just tired and grumpy today - more lambs were born last night in the heavy rain and wind and I didn't get much sleep.
    Please forgive me :sorry: I prompted myself to write this and I will try not to complain about Twits and Twittering in the future :lipssealed:

Noe, margyb and DogMan like this.
  16. DogMan

DogMan Yes

poor, buggered pudle mumma :(

Pippi and margyb like this.
  17. margyb

LOL
    Everyone is allowed to have a bad hair day ;)

Pippi and Noe like this.
  18. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Or a bad wool day
    :rofl:

Pippi and margyb like this.
  19. James P

James P Senior Member

It might be that you need to, 1. go to the tweet post 2. click the down arrow 3. select 'Copy link to tweet'

You should get a link like this one (just an example):

MetalOz, margyb and Pippi like this.
  20. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

@margyb :)

margyb likes this.