Constantly top up, or refill when empty?

Discussion in 'Juice Chat' started by Annie, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

For those of you who use tanks, do you top up frequently, like I do? Usually by the time my tank is half empty, I pull it apart and top it up. Am I the only one? I find as I reach the bottom, the flavour changes a bit, and the constant topping up helps keep the flavour tasting good for longer on the same coil. My nautilus coils last over a month each. How do you refill and why?

2. Dennis_Loki

Dennis_Loki Member

I'm with ya mrsgruffy, I fill soon as I need to, and share long lasting coils albeit in silo tanks.
    Don't know if it's psychosomatic but I swear I get better fuller hits when it's topped up, and never runs the risk of dry hits for me at least

Annie likes this.
  3. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

I rarely wait till my tank is 100% empty, I normally top up between 50% to 95% empty. I'm using RDA/RTA's and I used to replace coil every 2 weeks and wick every week to start with as I thought that was needed or just the done thing. Now I replace wick every 2 weeks or so when I clean the tank but coils I just clean off and keep going.

I've got coils that are months old and still going, I 99% of the time use K1 for wire and I do dry burn on occasion to help clean the coil if it has any build up. I use flavours and mostly have my mix ratio @ 70PG/30VG. I'll say that I think I kind of agree about what said above as in the first half to 2/3rds of a tank seems to taste slightly better to that last bit.

Edit: just thinking about it now I can't remember the last time I let a tank run 100% empty, not really planned it that way or even gave it thought till just now reading this thread.

4. James

James Senior Member

I generally top up, some manufacturers recommend topping up to keep the vacuum in the tank working well.

However I only use a tank 1-2 days a week, drippers > everything

5. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

I tried dripping and while I do enjoy it I find I'm lazy and enjoy tanks more. I've got lots of attys already set up with different flavs in them just ready to vape so I can switch as easy as anyways. But I still drip, I like to do a bit of everything lol it all just depends on mood and energy at the time but I'd only drip once a week at most maybe or for flav testing when mixing and/or messing about.

I'm not into clouds or sub ohm very much, bit of fun once in a while but that's about it. But I'm getting off topic lol.

6. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

As I use mostly Kayfuns .I tip them upside down and when you can't see the juice (or barely) I fill em up again. Yes all of mine have a window. :)

7. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Looking at my collection of about a dozen tanks in front of me, it is obvious most of them are 90-95% empty.
    So this gives me an idea that I refill them at around that point or move onto the next one.

I think pushing the coils too hard (high watts) plays a bigger part in longevity of the coils than juice levels over time.
    My coils tend to last for weeks, even when that is the only tank I am using & I think that is probably because I don't try to push them too hard, instead setting the power closer to minimum for a good vape.

8. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

You could be onto something Noe, I can't remember (except for trial, messing about) going over 15w and normally I'm between 7w to 11w. I adjust power to different settings for different juices, going by how I like the flavour but always keep it fairly low.

And only a Dozen? I feel a little guilty now lol, I'm not going to say how many atty's I have :lipssealed:

9. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Well, I always have about 5 or 6 filled and running around the house at anyone time. Continual swapping of flavours is what I do.

I always "work the atties" just after breaky. ALL maintenance is done then. Any rewicking, dryburning, refilling, whatever. Always after breaky. Never thro the day. That means some are just "topped off", others are nearly completely refilled...

10. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

I never vape over 8 watts.. I've been reading about the high temp stuff and quite happy with my low watts.. it does the job for me :)

Oldgamer and Dalork like this.
  11. oxey

oxey Member

i'll fill up between 50% and 75% empty

12. disley

disley New Member

I add between 1 and 2mls when I see my tank is low.
    I don't like the vape from a full tank.
    60% full is enough.

13. Browny

Browny Senior Member

I generally fill before empty, where ever it's at it gets a fill before I head out, but at home to avoid dry hits etc I fill when it gets about 1/4 left.

14. Nunga

Nunga Member

I fill when the level gets below the window in kayfuns, or below the chimney top in the taifuns. I'm also not into high wattage vaping, and generally run a 1.3-1.5 ohm coil at 3.3-3.6 volts. Coils last quite a long time, and I change wicks about once a week. I'm a pretty heavy vaper, and generally have 4-6 flavours on the go at any one time. Its fascinating to see how different everyone is in how they vape, but if it works for you, then its all good :)

15. Browny

Browny Senior Member

Good points above.
    I generally build anywhere from 0.8-1.2ohm coils in the KFL and the Orchid, pre-made coils are 1.5 in the PT2's and Evod's - 1.2 for the SubTank and also 1.2 in the PT3.
    I've never enjoyed anything too high, with the SubTank and Orchid the highest at about 4v (0.8@4v is 20w) but the others usually run at 3.6-3.7v. I like a little warmth but not much it seems.
    My coils last ages but it's hard to tell how long for most as I'm always swapping tanks when empty, I only have 8 maybe 9 in total but they get rotated. The Orchid is probably the most used out of all and I get around 2 weeks to a wick and re-coil every second wick change.
    Max 10ml a day with an average of 6ml (the SubTank goes through a lot) and most of my liquids aren't that hard on a coil plus I prefer a slightly lighter flavour to normal so the flavouring's have less effect on coil/wick lifespan.

16. bethydy

bethydy New Member

I have never really been one to have a few tanks on the go so normally its topping up for me until I feel the coil is at the end of its time or it just stops working (as mentioned in one of my other posts..darn aerotank coils LOL)
    I sometimes top up with a similar juice if I need a change such as a fruit for fruit or custard for custard but otherwise I can be sitting on the same flavour for a few days :)

Browny likes this.
  17. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

I was on holidays,feeling lazy and vaped on my back with a half empty ST mini. Don't do that. It destroys the wick.

Judith and Browny like this.
  18. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I fill the Kanger Aerotank Megas (usually running two concurrently) when they have 5-10% left. Unless I'm going out for some hours, then I'll check the levels and refill if down to around 20% remaining.

Browny likes this.
  19. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

I top up when ever I am at the kitchen bench and never leave the house without a least five full tanks... Just in case. After reading others comments I am going to lower my wattage, all my mods are set between 11 and 12 watts with 1.5 coils but now I am thinking it might be too much. I learn something new daily here. Thanks

20. Brucey63

Brucey63 New Member

My usual kit for daily use is a Silo Beast tank. Lots of room in there and I'm also a tip it upside down and see how much is left boy.

Im also a pretty heavy vaper and will fill itbat least 3 times a day. It gets topped off before I leave the house in the morning and I carry a 30ml bottle of juice with me. If im going out then same routine and the bottle comes with me. I usually run a 0.2 or 0.6 ohm coil at around 45w but that can vary depending on my juice.

I've recently discovered dripping so of an evening at home i'll either drip or squonk (crap battery life, can't stray too far from a charge point).