1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Cotton for wick

Discussion in 'Ask the Veterans' started by Mo Town, May 21, 2017.

1. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Did you try Vape Assist?

That is what I used and there were a few places in Au stocking it, but I guess word travels fast.

2. btobw

btobw Member

If you mean at the Steamers, it was sold out on their website when I bought it at the Parramatta store. Given how flat out they've been perhaps the web site just needs updating.

3. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

Nah, I dropped into Parramatta, sold out Saturday......

4. btobw

btobw Member

Oh, bummer. Maybe I bought the last one (sorry ...).

laurie9300 likes this.
  5. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Some pictures of the Wicked with KGD next to it .
    Sheets side by side KGD left Wicked right.

[​IMG]

Thickness- KGD seems about 3 x thicker.

[​IMG]

Close as I can get. As you can hopefully see the KGD has fibres all running in one direction whereas the Wicked seems more like it has been felted.

[​IMG]

I haven't tried it yet but will give it a go later today.

Noe, Mo Town, iamTezr and 2 others like this.
  6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Thanks for that, the Wicked looks to me to be rayon fibers, there may be cotton blended into it but it looks a lot like the rayon Japanese rayon sheets I have here.

RC. likes this.
  7. RC.

RC. Senior Member

It has a picture of a cotton plant flower ball, bamboo, a tree, and a moth on the pack saying all natural, so the pics say it all, cotton, bamboo, rayon and silk which has sort of all been felted together, I suppose.

It is rather thickish to work with (like sheets of felt) and is more difficult than plain cotton or rayon but it wicks pretty well.

But so do the others we use.

Noe, Aqualung, DogMan and 1 other person like this.
  8. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

I recently bought some Demon Kilker Muscle Cotton which is 100% organic. I was surprised how well thiscotton wicks and it is completely favourless with no break in period at all. All you get is pure flavour. And its only $6 per pack which is great value.

Pippi, Mo Town and Noe like this.
  9. Noe

If you don't know, I love the OBS Engine RTA!
    So much so that is pretty much all I have been using over the past few months. I started with one (Black Version) & then bought a Gold version, I have recently acquired a second Black Version (still unopened in box) making a total of 3 OBS Engines I now have.
    You might say that the Engine is my OBSession lol

What does that have to do with cotton?
    Glad you asked. I have had time using just the same tank day in/day out, to experiment a little with wicks, my latest experiment involved a Rayon/Cotton hybrid wick, with the rayon on the outside, with a cotton inner core. So far it has been 3+ weeks since I last changed my wick in the Engine (gold) & this is the only tank I have been using (my Black one has sat idle due to me reacquainting myself with Smokey Fog).
    The flavor is still good, it's not tasting "dirty" like cotton would have been doing more than a week ago probably 2 weeks ago but I can tell it's not quite as good as when it was a Fresh wick too. I did check the build deck a couple of days ago & the coils were a little bit gunked up, which I expected & which explains the flavor drop compared to a fresh build but the wick itself while dark didn't look clogged with gunk (of course I'm going to have to remove the wick & check to be certain of this), all of which makes sense to me given the vape quality I am getting this far into my last re-wick of the Engine.

The reason i wanted to try a hybrid rayon/cotton wick, which I have tried in the past on other devices, is because I know that rayon is more heat tolerant than cotton (ie it won't burn as quickly), thus it tends to last longer than cotton as a wick, while cotton is more absorbent than rayon, whilke rayon transports juice faster. Thus using a hybrid wick has several advantages but it doesn't work for every situation/device, for example, if your coil has a inner diameter less than 3mm then it's going to be a PITA to build a hybrid wick properly.
    To make a proper hybrid wick takes a bit of patience, you need to ensure the rayon is the entire outer covering, with the cotton in the core, this used to be more difficult with loose rayon wick but I was sent some Rayon sheets, which are quite thin & perfect for making these hybrid wicks, making them easier to roll.
    Ok you may say but 3 weeks isn't a great indication of how good the wick is or how long it lasts, if you're not vaping a lot of juice then even cotton wick could last 4 weeks, which is true but I vape around 1 full tank of juice per day in the Engine(4 - 5ml approx) which may not sound like a lot to some of you but I vape 24mg/ml & this will give you a good idea of how to calculate how long the wick will last for your own consumption needs. The pic shows just how much I have used out of a 120ml bottle, since it was full when the wick was new & has only been used in this tank.

[​IMG]

So to me this is the best wick type I have used so far in the Engine, if I decide to use it in future I won't be trying to push the boundaries of how long I can make it last & will be changing it out somewhere between 2-3weeks of use, because that is about when the coils start to get clogged enough to notice a drop in flavor. However it is good to know just how much further I could put off changing the wick if I was busy & needed to.

The reason I said "if I decide to use it in future", is because my next experiment is going to be with using SS mesh wick.
    Yes I heard most of you saying in your minds "WTF??"
    SS mesh is usually used in genesis style atties & is used in some other older types of tanks, the thing that appeals to me about it is the pure clean taste you get when using it as a wick & the fact that you can dry burn your coils clean without ever changing the wick.
    I don't expect that this will be an easy build, there are a few things that can go wrong, this will be compounded by using a dual fused clapton contact coil build (I may have to space the coils) but the pay off if it works will be better flavor & far less maintenance.
    If I do get it to work, I'll be sure to take some pics & write a short tutorial on how to achieve it :)

10. Mo Town

Mo Town New Member

I love the Engine as well. Looking forward to seeing that SS mesh build!!

What kind of build do you have on it? To have 24mg, what wattage do you apply?

I currently have twisted clapton in it at 0.3 ohm and I vape around 60-75 w at 3mg.

Best tasting and clouding for my liking.

Wanda likes this.
  11. Noe

Around 40W dual fused clapton build 0.36ohm. I could run it harder but I don't want a hot vape just a warm vape & I don't need huge clouds, I'd rather have better flavor but I get plenty of both with this build.

Mo Town, Pippi and Wanda like this.
  12. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

Sounds like a pretty com9lex wick, but would be worth the effort. I also love the OBS tank, I'm running the Nano with a 1ohm Clapton (26/32 wire) and using the Demon Killer Muscle Cotton at 30-35 watts which is giving me amazing flavour and pretty conservative on the juice as well. It's a cool vape, but I prefer the cooler vapes.
    We might need an OBS appreciation thread here lol

Mo Town, Noe and Wanda like this.
  13. Noe

Not overly complex really, it just has to be done right to ensure there's no hot spots/shorts because it's metal mesh.
    There are a few ways to use SS mesh & get the hot spots/shorts out which anyone that's used a genesis style atty will probably be aware of (& if they have will probably have their own preferred method) but for this tank because it is not a genesis I think the method I chose was the best option for the build.
    I'll start another thread for the tutorial :)

After writing my last post, I couldn't stop thinking about the build, so a few hours later I was attempting it lol
    Gone through 1 tank of juice & mesh is working a treat now, just a little teething problem with it, not entirely sure what was happening but I adjusted the airflow to be a little more open & bumped the wattage up about 5W to 45W & it's fixed it.
    Had a little bit of juice to spit out on the first few puffs from it is all, I figured it was probably not heating the mesh quick enough initially at the lower wattage or I had the AFC too restricted pulling juice through too quickly. I think it was only a problem when the wick was very fresh, because I have tried both restricting the AFC & dropping the watts again since & had no recurrence but I found 45W to be more flavorful so have it set there now with my preferred draw on the AFC.
    Definitely getting cleaner taste & a little more flavor out of it, I'll be doing it to my other Engine too, then I'll never need to disturb the coils to rewick again , making life easier with less maintenance! :wine:

MetalOz likes this.