Dazed & Confused.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by NXX, Nov 10, 2018.

1. NXX

NXX New Member

Hi everyone. My name is NX and I live just outside Brisbane. I joined Vaper Cafe a couple of days ago during the early stages of my torturous, seemingly endless quest search for a suitable vaping product.

I've been a smoker for 35 years, minus two. I lived in Texas for a few years, during which time I used a Halo G6. However, once that gave up the ghost, I returned to smoking.

The reason it took me a couple of days to swing back around and introduce myself was mainly due to the fact that I've been looking for the right product. The most noticeable (and daunting) difference between my Halo purchase in late 2012 and now is how much the vaping landscape has changed.

There are so many products to choose from, so many different types/styles, so many accessories and really nuanced and intricate settings, controls and modifications, not to mention the wealth of jargon. I've just melted down.

I'm reluctant to ask for help here, because I'm sure there are threads devoted to the issues I have. But I'm so overloaded and confused. Even if you could point me in the direction of a thread or threads that narrow down my options, please, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks.

2. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

hi nxx

i'm not much good with beginner wares, but as a starting point, since you last purchased and now there has been a widening gap between MTL (mouth to lung) and DTL (direct to lung) setups

the MTL mimicks a cigarette drag, where you first fill your mouth, then draw clean air in to complete the path to your lungs

DTL is more like how you would inhale a bong, straight to your lungs

lots of decent kits around

Rayjay likes this.
  3. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Hi Nxx,
    Welcome to the Cafe,
    Been vaping come this Christmas for 6 years now. I started with those pen type things.

My mate in Tamworth, swears by the the Dolphin and the Penguin a little pod type vape. it comes with Mtl & DL coils.

I too tried several Halo juices and was not impressed with them. I mix my own now and it saves me heaps. Refuse to pay for fancy labels and packaging.

I have two penguins, and use them in the car. I like their cartridge feature which you can fill at home and take spares with you and not have to mess with filling tanks. Coils are cheap also.

No need for confusing menus just charge with a usb and vape away.

At home I use the Geek Vape Legend which is virtually indestructible. On this I have a rebuildable Obs tank.

Enjoy your vaping journey and to hell with cigarettes and cigarette manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

4. NXX

NXX New Member

Hi DogMan,
    You probably won't be surprised to hear that, as a smoker, my stepping off point will be mouth to lung.
    Thanks for replying. Nxx

5. NXX

NXX New Member

Thanks for your help RayJay. I think I'm in a place between the Geek Vape and the Penguin/Dolphin styles. Something like the Aspire Zelos or Eleaf Pico 75. You're right about Halo juices, I didn't much like them either. Although, to be fair to them, it's been several years since I've tried 'em, and so much else has changed about vaping, maybe they've improved.

Rayjay likes this.
  6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Welcome to VCA NX.

IMO the best starter kit is still the Pockex. I dislike pod systems like the Dolphin for a few reasons but one of the main ones being it is larger to carry around than the Pockex& has about the same run times.
    The Pockex is a very good device, that even a lot of experienced vapers (myself included) use but it was designed with beginners in mind.
    It is also inexpensive, probably costing less than your old Halo G6 did back in the day.

I did a full review of it here: http://www.vapercafeaustralia.com/threads/aspire-pockex-all-in-one-review.4436/

Rayjay likes this.
  7. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Different strokes for different folks, it's all a matter of preference. The penguin and its successor the dolphin is no bigger than a packet of stinkies. My favourite used to be the JustFog vape for stealth vaping and travel, but it's tank capacity was too small and it was a pita to fill.

The big pro for the Dolphin / Penguin are it's cartridges which you fill at home and just swap. No need to carry juice with you.

Also it's inbuilt battery charges a lot quicker than most that I tried.

8. NXX

NXX New Member

Thanks Noe,

After several days of research, during which I started to visualize screen shots of various vaping products as I drifted off to sleep at night, I finally settled on the Aspire Zelos 50W TC. Ordered Sun 11th Nov from an Adelaide based company called Vapoureyes.

The juice I ordered same day from Vapo in NZ, which arrived in the morning on Tues 13th, which is a brilliant turnaround time. I'll be sure to let them know once I've tried it. It's Thurs 15th, and according to the Aus Post tracking details, they've had it since Monday and it's still in SA. So, I guess the positive way to look at it is that my Vapo juice has had a few days to steep. That's something I'll likely have questions about once I've received the Zelos and taken it out for a test vape.

Rayjay likes this.
  9. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Glad you all sorted @NXX.
    Authough your choice of vendor in SA leaves a lot to be desired. I won't touch V. Eyes with a 40' barge pole. Long boring story.

Yes, goods from most NZ vendors I have dealt with have had excellent delivery time frames. Australia Post is a disgrace.

I am somewhat confused though, I thought they passed some sort of f... d up law in SA that no one can buy or sell Vapes.

10. NXX

NXX New Member

Hey Rayjay,
    It's one of the tricky things about ordering a product from a company for the first time. It's often quite hard to know until you've had an experience with them what they're like. All I know at this stage is that they've picked, packed and passed on the order and now it's having a nice long sleep on a shelf somewhere in an Adelaide Australia Post facility.

You're bang on about the changes to e-cig laws in SA. For some stupid reason there is bipartisan (major party) support for changes to the Tobacco Products Regulation Act 1997.

It seems a curious symptom of life in Australia that its legislators seem intent on ensuring that we're 10-15 years behind the rest of the developed world when it comes to social & cultural advances. One example is communications: late to radio, late to TV, late to colour TV, late to cable TV, late to high speed internet, throttling of high speed internet.

The first solid data on vaping strongly indicate that, compared to smoking, vaping is much safer.

Nonetheless, SA appears to be heading in the other direction. They're still working on the legislation though, so that's why I was able to order via Vapoureyes. What issues did you have with them?

11. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Three mods and three defective. Returned and yes replaced. Then I ordered some other goods wrong ones sent. When I emailed them, extremely rude in reply. Their PG VG known as Basedrop tasted horrid. I mix my own juice and will only use U4EA brand from Aussie E Cigs. Concentrates I will only buy from the above or Juice Factory. (WA)

Fenix Vapour's are also good for Mollinberry Juice from Poland.

The only delicious ready to vape juice I buy comes from @rupert Deity Vapour alas you can only order from him on Face Book messages. His website is still down. He is the best juice maker I have ever come across in Au. His Sanskrit range is fantastic.

12. NXX

NXX New Member

Wow, three out of three defective, that's terrible. In one order or separately? I imagine it's going to take me a bit of time to lock in on the companies that supply products, parts and juice. At this stage, though, I'm still trying to prepare myself for the switch from smoking to vaping.

From what I remember of doing it the first time, it was fairly seamless. But I think part of it had to do with the fact that I'd just moved to another country, a life change so big that moving from cig to e-cig seemed fairly insignificant by comparison. I did occasionally smoke cigs in America, especially when having a drink. The Halo just didn't seem to cut it when I was drinking. And a pack of Pall Malls in Texas was about four bucks. It was one heck of a kick in the head when I returned to Australia to find the price of a pack of 20's was four times the price.

13. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Separate orders, with me, three strikes and your out. Then the rudeness when wrong stuff sent that was the straw that broke this camels back.

Yeah our Govt screws smokers. I got a box of Havana cigars given to me when I was overseas. The f.... G duty I had to pay for them and the humidor they came in was bullshit.

I still like a good Cigar but stinkies no way.

14. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Yes a friend of mine is a Halo vendor, she was a member of this forum some time back, dunno what happened to her. She was in Melbourne somewhere. She sent me a sample pack of Halo e-juice none of which I liked. What urks me is a lot of vendors be they in Au or overseas go to a lot of trouble with fancy eye catching labels and packaging which forces the price of juice up. It was like that with all the cigarette advertising and fancy packets, which thankfully have been banned.

Like I walked into a vape store, in my area, a 10ml bottle of E-juice with a lovely label and packet for $10.00 ($1.00 per ml) and no nicotine in it.....made in China, get real!:cloud::cloud::cloud:

I maintain, make a good juice, keep the packaging simple and to the point and let people buy it at a reasonable price.....to put it bluntly....keep it simple stupid.