Describe your first month of DIY juice.

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by DogMan, Oct 25, 2016.

1. DogMan

DogMan Butler

This will take thinking way back for some. But I thought it might help see what the best method to start with is, illustrated by other's failures.

I started about a month into vaping. I bought a bunch of generic concenrates from health cabin while I was ordering other stuff.

I mostly bought fruit flavours, with a few menthol and butter etc. I didn't follow recipes, thinking I'll just learn as I go.

It didn't go very well at all. Overly strong, overly sweet juice. But the directions said 10% each concentrate and I was too dumb to improvise.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Maria, Adrian Grace, Noe and 3 others like this.
  2. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

I started DIY juice about a month ago but have been reading and researching on how to mix shortly after I started vaping. I was interested in all this chemistry from the start. Bought some concentrates (TFA brand) and used the recommended 8-12% mixing a single flavor "Bubblegum". Smelt great but it didn't taste good at all. I soon realized that some flavors requires other flavors in the mix to bring out the full flavor.

Everywhere I looked for opinions or instructions on what flavors to use I tend to stumbled on site which is a gold mine for recipes: e-liquid-recipes dot com website

Great app I found for the smart phone is 'E-Juice Lab' that lets me input all the information for a recipe with %,ml and grams(mixing by weight).

I mix by weight and I find it much easier to clean up (no mess or cleaning required). After watching "how to mix by weight" from Laurie9300's thread I knew that this was for me.

Beside from some odd mixes trying to replicate store bought juices which didn't taste the same but it still taste good :) I think I did pretty well.

I also made some terrible juices as well because I wanted to be "creative" but at the same time I learnt what flavors mixes well together and what just don't play well together at all haha. Also I learnt Fruity mix is good for "shake and vape" and desert/creamy mix needs some steeping to taste even better.

Now I have some 100ml bottles with some nice mix to keep me going until I can find a better mix.

Overall, my first month of DIY juice was one adventurous journey :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Maria, Adrian Grace, Noe and 3 others like this.
  3. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles Moderator

Great idea for a thread Dogman,
    Hopefully it will be helpful to new DIYers .
    I will share my experiences soon but suffice to say a lot of cash was wasted buying heaps of concentrates, they seemed cheap at the time but once you add up postage on it all , mostly due to not being able to do one stop shopping in any online store and having to pay multiple postage costs it seemed a little crazy.
    I dont regret it as I was able ( long process) to find the one juice that nailed it for me and kept me off the Stinkies :)

Maria, Noe, laurie9300 and 2 others like this.
  4. emu

emu Banned

I can't remember 6 months ago let alone 3 years

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Flea, Maria, iamTezr and 2 others like this.
  5. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

I spent the first ages, scouring forums recipe threads, and recipe sites looking for clone recipes of juices I had liked. Then looked for more recipes that had similar ingredients. Collated them all to make a concentrate purchase list that was reasonable and allowed me to try a fair nqumber 1of the recipes.
    I have no imagination. Slavishly followed recipes.
    Then, started adding aspects, or flavour pofiles that I liked in one juice, to another where I thought it might improve it

Maria, Noe, laurie9300 and 3 others like this.
  6. DogMan

DogMan Butler

But you were buying RTV when you joined here from some euro country. VCA is less than 18 months old.

Maria and Pippi like this.
  7. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Crikey.
    Seems longer.

Maria and DogMan like this.
  8. Pippi

Lol, yes and so much has changed in that time :)

Maria, Aqualung and DogMan like this.
  9. emu

emu Banned

So sorry I read it as mouth not month, I can still taste my first mouthful of juice...[​IMG]

DogMan likes this.
  10. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I had enough flavored juice (DiY but not my own) donated to me by another vaper, to last me a couple of weeks until my juice supplies arrived, when I first started vaping.
    My juice supplies were all concentrates, plain PG & VG & flavorless PG based nicotine for mixing, so I was DiYing almost from the time I began vaping.

Most of my early mixes were what I term simple flavors, 1 or 2, possibly 3 flavor mixes. From those early mixes I knew I wanted more from my flavors & started experimenting.
    Simple flavors are good, they teach you how much of a certain flavor concentrate is needed to get the taste right, most of my early blends were fruit blends, because fruits generally blend nicely together & are fairly easy to master.
    Fruit flavors on their own, became a little lack lustre for me though & I started using tobacco concentrates & bakery flavors to enhance my vaping experience.
    I had a few failures along the way, the most notable being a pizza flavor I tried to make, it simply didn't work, no matter how I tried to get it to.

Over time, I developed highly complex blends, using a dozen or sometimes more concentrates but to get to that point takes patience & understanding of individual flavor concentrates.

laurie9300, iamTezr, Pippi and 2 others like this.
  11. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Pizza :rofl: did it have olives?

Epic

iamTezr, Pippi and emu like this.
  12. emu

emu Banned

Your not supposed to dissolve cheese and bacon snuff in juice, no wonder it tasted like carp..... [​IMG]

Adrian Grace, Aqualung and DogMan like this.
  13. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

I tried a Deadly Sin clone recipe, had 10 flavour components.
    Never made it twice, because in the first place it was carp, but in the second, took half the night to mix up.
    Don't much exceed 5 or 6 flavours now.

14. Pippi

Lol, I am down to one and its perfect for me. Call me me simple.

emu, Aqualung, Adrian Grace and 2 others like this.
  15. Adrian Grace

Adrian Grace Member

After a bit of a false start with a crappy pen from a local smoke shop and some horrendous fluids from Efusion I decided I was going to try this properly.

While researching more about this strange vaping thing I ordered up some nic from MFS along with some flavours: cheesecake, black raspberry and blood orange.

Mod wise I was researching everything and ended up with an Eleaf Pico kit (thanks Victory). My MFS order hadn't arrived yet so I did try some of the Elusion juice in it, and it was even more horrible - back to waiting for nic.

An order was placed with Sydney Vapor for one of his starter kits - I can't remember what flavours were ordered to go with it.

Everything then seemed to land about the same time and the steep learning curve started. I had thought I had done a fair bit of research (HAH!) but I had no idea what levels to mix and the first juice was a smash mix of the orange, raspberry and cheesecake at around 5% each - vapeable, but certainly not what I was expecting.

So started the quest - working out nic levels, learning flavours, having failures, having fun.

Early on I figured that for any packet of cigarettes that I didn't buy I could put that money towards more tanks and more flavours and my new addiction really started - can't see it stopping any time soon.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

emu, Pippi, Noe and 3 others like this.
  16. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

I resisted diy for the longest time, then I won a diy kit from hiliq and that is what started my journey.

My experience was similar to aqualung's. I did months of research and reading before opening my first bottle of concentrate.

I went to eliquid recipes .com and found 5 top rated recipes I thought I would enjoy, and bought all the concentrates required, as well as a digital scale.

All this was done while I still had plenty of store bought juice to vape. It wasn't until I knew I had 3 or 4 good recipes to vape, that I started doing my own testing, and working on my own recipes.

I have not bought any pre-made juice since...

emu, DogMan, iamTezr and 3 others like this.
  17. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

One thing I didn't do was follow other peoples recipes, I did follow guidlines of concentrate brands for % to add but only initially until I decided if the guidlines were correct or not. By doing that I learned that guidlines are frequently wrong, especially when blending 2 or more flavors together.
    So I mixed 5ml test batches, then if the juice was too strong or too weak I could easily fix it without wasting juice, simply by doubling the amount & adjusting the amount of concentrate used, if it still wasn't right I had one more attempt to get it right in a 30ml bottle & end up with 20ml approx of juice. If it was right I could mix at the same % & fill the 30ml bottle.
    For me, discovering my own recipes is far more interesting but it is also more challenging, there's no "safety net" of a recipe to follow, just an idea of what you want to make & experimentation until you get it right.

Yes & tomato, cheese & bacon (concentrates not snuff, silly @emu) plus a few other concentrates to try to get it to work.
    After some attempts, I just gave up on the idea, I couldn't get it to anything that even resembled half arse juice, it was the full big booty arse juice but it kept my drains clean for some months.

emu, iamTezr, DogMan and 2 others like this.
  18. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

I've only been vaping for 6 months or so. My first vape was a cheap ce5, and some cheap Lava juice from China. Like most people I started vaping to help quit ciggies and save money. The first Concentrates I bought were 3 Hangsen flavours (Lemon Limed, Cherry and Parmel) and a T juice Concentrate called Vamp Vape. The Hangsen cherry was and still is disgusting, the lemon Limed is close to a real Lemon /Lime, and the Parmal (Pall Mall Tobacco) is a great tobacco flavour, defintely tastes like NET. The Vamp Vape is a Caramel Coconut which tastes amazing after a 2 week steep.
    I didn't really know anything about steeping etc. So percentages were very hit and miss. I've started using recipes from e-liquid-recipes.com and other sites with varying success.
    I've found the clone packs from Sydney Vapour are a great place to start. I'm still going through different flavour types to see which type of flavour sites my palette, so far I'm loving the bakery flavours, but I'm still to try cereal and chocolate flavors. My next Concentrate order will be placed today, with enough Concentrates to make about 8 different flavours. I'll find an all day vape one day, but it's definitely fun finding one.

Maria, Adrian Grace, emu and 3 others like this.
  19. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

It all started quite early for me as i hate spending money unnecessarily.
    So as soon as i found out you could make your own i spent about a week watching youtube clips on mixing and how to go about it i found diy or die videos a grate sorce of knowledge, and just findig out as much as possible on all things DIY, gathered up some recipes from recipe sites and forums and wrote them in a note book so i could easily chang them if need be
    Then went shopping ordered my nic and a clone pack and a couple of single flavors from one of my favourite site
    When it all got here i did it simple made my clone mixes and a couple of otheres with single flavors single flavors didn't go to well i quickly found im not a fan of really strong flavoured vapes

So now when im looking at a mix i can accomodate it to my taste and now with help from you tube clips i have been able to come up with my own recipes, to suit my taste

Pippi, Adrian Grace, Aqualung and 4 others like this.
  20. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

In a word "crapola "

emu, Pippi, MetalOz and 1 other person like this.