Determining Nic Level For You

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Gold Guru, Apr 28, 2017.

1. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I succumbed to WTA's just recently and they are really really nice but the thing is I don't think I want to be without them ever again.

I thought about it before embarking on this adventure and concluded that I really am old enough to not give a shit any more.

I also reckon a bit of pleasurable indulgence is quite ok for my pre-dotage stage of life . [​IMG]

Annie, Gold Guru, Judith and 2 others like this.
  2. Gold Guru

Gold Guru Member

3. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Great link GG, thanks
    97% less carcinogens present in comparison to smokers. Human subjects, not emulation machines. Funded by Cancer Research UK
    Abstract of article here http://annals.org/aim/article/25998...re-long-term-e-cigarette-nicotine-replacement

edit. Wonder if your link deserves a place in the positive media thread @Pippi

MetalOz, Gold Guru and KayP like this.
  4. Gold Guru

Gold Guru Member

Thanks Aqualung.
    This sort of factual positive research results is really good news to vapers. It reinforces what we know to be true as far as the benefits to quiters of cigarettes.
    How do we get this message across to the powers that be???

Aqualung likes this.
  5. James P

James P Senior Member

Hi Annie. I'm interested in that statement of 1mg absorbed from any strength cig. especially in light of the FDA going on about super low nic cigs. Where did you find out that info about the 1mg absorption?

On a related note, I'm confused about the claim that low tar/nic cigarettes only functioned because of the air holes, and that they failed because smokers learnt to circumvent this. Didn't they used to sell low tar/nic rolling tobacco? Obviously they didn't come with holed rolling paper. There must be some inate difference between low tar/nic tobacco itself and regular tobacco?

6. James P

James P Senior Member

WTAs are so insanely expensive, especially with the types of devices that are sold in Australia which essentially pump most of your juice into thin air. The only way I'd consider WTAs as viable is if I could go back to a low output ecig, and I abandoned those ages ago because I couldn't find the spare parts.

7. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

Hi James,
    Here's a quote I found very quickly from google:

"Will low nicotine cigarettes deliver low levels of nicotine? Yes, but only when they tested on a sucking machine. However, when a human smokes low nicotine cigarettes, they get as much nicotine as they would from a regular cigarette.

Smokers need their nicotine hit, so when they change to a low nicotine cigarette, they just suck harder and more frequently - so they get the same dose. Unfortunately, when you suck harder on a burning cigarette, you also suck in more carbon monoxide. This forces your body to make more haemoglobin, which makes your blood more "sludgy" - which increases your chances of a stroke. So it's actually more dangerous to get your "regular" nicotine dose from a low nicotine cigarette (Kruszelnicki, 2005)."

Interestingly, more and more of the evidence about nicotine in vaping is suggesting it may be better to stick to a higher nicotine concentration because you will vape less, (and not inhale as deeply perhaps?) and thereby expose yourself to less risk related to the unknown dangers of some of the flavouring molecules (and PG in sensitive people).

In relation to the perforations in the paper of pre rolled cigarettes, I don't have time to look for the source right now.. but I'm sure you could find it without too much trouble using google. Without a doubt though, they did at some point, produce tobacco that had less tar/nicotine, but at the end of the day, Karl's explanation above is every bit as relevant to the low tar/nicotine tobacco. So basically, you're even more likely to be fucked if you smoke low tar/nicotine products. It's all about lighting up all those nicotine receptors in the synpapses of your neurons. You will keep smoking until they're sated, and then as the effect wears off pretty damn quickly (40 minutes tops), you'll find yourself wanting/reaching for another one. Incidentally, most cigarettes changed to packs of 25 because there are 16 hours worth of 40 minute periods in a 24 hour day.. about the same number as our waking hours, right? Fucking tobacco companies - that was no accident!

Kruszelnicki, K. S. (2005). Low nicotine cigarettes. Retrieved from http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2005/04/19/1348281.htm

ETA : I'm getting rather good at 300 word summaries... thanks uni!

8. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

Oh and James, I'm still rocking along quite nicely on 4/5ths of my vapes being Istick 20Ws, and Nautilus Minis with 1.8 ohm coils in them. You can still get the coils.. and I've got a bit of a vapergeddon supply of them, but each time I order anything, I add 20 coils to the order(BVCs ftw). My only other device is my cute little black and white Penguin.. which I think as a 1.2 ohm coil installed currently (haven't tried the other coil yet) but I'm a bit distressed by how much eliquid that thing gets through, BUT it does produce a very satisfying amount of flavour and vapour! So it's my "luxe" mod for special occasions, like after I finish a module of uni stuff, or when I'm doing a show and tell with the local smokers. It's a lot more appealing to the youngun's because of it's look, compared to the istick/naut combo. Apart from a bit of a leaking issue, which I think I've resolved thanks to iamTezr's advice.. and just "push it in harder" which is one of two best bits of life advice I've received in my 51 years.

9. James P

James P Senior Member

Annie. 1) Dr Karl is not a reputable source, nor is he quoting any reputable source in this article. 2) that article does not support your claim of 1mg absorption from any cigarette.

The problem with smoking related information put out in the 90s and 00s is that it was agenda driven, not evidence driven. And the awful thing about google is that it hangs on to all this misinformation, like space debris in the atmosphere, and people keep quoting it as fact. Please don't tell people to "just google " a claim that you've made. I'm sure as a university student you'd know that that's inappropriate, especially when giving medical advice.

10. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

Actually, that's exactly what I'm told at university.. google first, then chase up the evidence. So, you know, my motivation here was to help people figure out a starting point of how much nicotine they need to add to their eliquid to avoid nicotine cravings. While I may not have found evidence that is acceptable to you, I spent a year working in a vape shop where I helped 100s of people get off the smokes. The method that I advised people for calculating their nicotine needs worked for them. I did do a lot of research into this years ago, and I'm sure I could spend hours going through the literature, but I don't have the time or inclination. Rather than arguing with me, why don't you instead tell us what you think is the best way to calculate how much nicotine a newbie needs? I don't need to be chastised by you. This is a forum, not an academic discussion board. In fact, if you go through some of Dr Farsalinos' early stuff, I think that's where I got the information from in the first place. If you find something substantially different, why don't you share it? Oh, and giving advice on how much nicotine to use is not medical advice. Nicotine is a recreational drug.

11. James P

James P Senior Member

My point still stands Annie. There's a difference between using google to research new information, and using it to fob off people asking where you sourced your information. But thank you for clarifying your original statement. "I think I got from Dr Farsalinos that..." is a perfectly acceptable qualifier.

12. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

Well as long as you're happy, James!

James P likes this.