Did you "dual use" when you started?

Discussion in 'Polling Booth' started by DogMan, Feb 12, 2016.

?

Did you have a period of still using burning tobacco when you started vaping?

1. No, instant switch.

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Yes, a day or less

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Yes, a week or less

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Yes, weeks

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Yes, months

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Yes, I still do

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Yes, until I discovered smokeless tobacoo [snus, snuff etc]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Yes, a year or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Judith was the premier VCA admin, so sad she retired :(

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  10. Chrissy, can you cook for me?

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DogMan

DogMan Butler

emu likes this.
  2. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Tinkerbell

Hell yeah and I agonized over it. I eventually increased my nic, got reliable gear. got serious and quit.

Judith, RC., emu and 1 other person like this.
  3. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Nope,......never........instant switch.......except that time.....and afew times after that.......so, a little bit.......yeah, I dual used, for a while. Until the last time, when I was trying to remember the flavour I was aiming for, and it tasted so SHIT that I never returned.

4. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles Moderator

Nope, I haven't had a puff on a ciggie since the day I started vaping ..... But I support all those that need to dual use to give up.
    We are all different and I would never judge anyone on the path they are taking.
    It will be two years in April for me - but I continue to support friends that are finding it a little harder.
    Nothing worse than a born again Vaper!

steam bunny, Judith, Donna and 6 others like this.
  5. emu

emu Banned

Bloody oath I did, at least three months but I weaned down in that time. To this day even as I'm typing this I am smoking with about 30% baccy but I have no desire to smoke a cig.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  6. DogMan

DogMan Butler

I hope the poll doesn't imply judgement. Just curious and perhaps comforting to those struggling

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

7. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles Moderator

Nah, it doesn't - I was just expressing my two cents worth :)

RC., emu and DogMan like this.
  8. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I took about 6 weeks, but in those days there were only 510 3 piece cig-a-likes.

I cut down immediately but went up in nic from 18mg to 24 mg cutting down cigs all the while.

I got some 36mg and that was it, no more smokes after an OD on that nic.

So my banner below shows my vaping time after I kicked tobacco smoking totally. ie vaping only.

margyb, Judith, Donna and 5 others like this.
  9. DogMan

DogMan Butler

oh, happy vaperversary, sorry i missed it last week :cancan:

margyb, Judith, Donna and 5 others like this.
  10. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

You should try a dry herb vaporizer. Maybe a VS3 ($50 on Aliexpress) or better a Firefly (bout $150). No need to spin and they are really very tasty (so I've heard). In fact it tastes amazing with the right herb, or so I've heard....

If you love the tech fun of Vaping you will love this too, or so I've heard...

Judith, Catweazle, Pippi and 3 others like this.
  11. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

I made a straight switch. But I did it with basic but proper gear. Its all about the gear, that's why I am here...

Pippi, emu, RC. and 1 other person like this.
  12. salamanda

salamanda Member

Started with a C4 and no nic and was able to cut back from 40 a day to 10 a day for the 1st week (which made me realise after 43 years smoking, this just may be the help I needed to finally quit)
    After a bit of research I ordered some supplies which arrived a week later.
    Over the proceeding three weeks I cut down to just 2 cigs a day one after coffee in the morning and one after dinner,
    The 4th week ditching the last 2 fags after realising Strawberry's & Cream and Pineapple & Coconut just tasted way better than tobacco. Coming up for my 2nd year vaperversary in March....... Yay for e-cigs:clap::clap::clap:

margyb, Aqualung, Judith and 6 others like this.
  13. DogMan

DogMan Butler

I dual used 2 days. 1 day nic hadn't arrived. Then charger for egos was a dud.

I was very tempted recently to buy a small cigar. By the time i was near a tobacconist that had passed

Judith, RC., Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  14. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I was one of the lucky ones but I intentionally used my last bit of backy up and was mentally ready to make it work.
    From memory I had my first starter kit ready to go for about a fortnight in front and it felt extremely strange when I put my last one out and thought that's it.

Obviously I was extremely tempted initially but thankfully I didn't and I now know I never will again. The good thing is apart from letting my family down I also know I will be the most disappointed.
    I actually cannot remember exactly the last time I was even tempted to smoke and feel comfortable with the thought that I never will smoke again.

I have been offered cigarettes but have not been the least bit tempted to take one. Vaping has become a big part of my life and I enjoy everything that it involves including this forum.

margyb, emu, Judith and 4 others like this.
  15. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I have been a non-smoker for 5 years now & I dual use eliquid & tobbaco, just not burning tobacco or tobacco with higher risk profiles.

16. Nico and Laughter

I was glad you put up this poll Doggie. When I was dual using I felt like such a fake. Like I wasn't a real vaper. I started a thread at the other place to find out if anyone else dual used and I got all this advice which I had already tried and hadn't worked for me. That's when Jen gave me the awesome advice that she doesn't remember about not stressing about it and that I was waaaay better off than when I was smoking full time. It actually gave me the confidence and well eventually vaping won.

Maybe someone reading your poll will see that they are not alone and take heart. Or at the very least want to try Christines cooking.

17. DogMan

DogMan Butler

I thought i put burning on the poll question? I meant to. And included an option until finding snus etc

margyb, RC. and Pippi like this.
  18. Nico and Laughter

That's pretty impressive RC congrats on six years. Looking foward to being able to say that in five years LOL

margyb, RC. and DogMan like this.
  19. Nico and Laughter

I know it sounds weird but I think sometimes you have to try a ciggie to realise it's not really what you thought it was. A "helpful" friend offered me a cig about a month ago and I said nah I'm good. Well he left it for me anyway making me wonder at his motives. Six months ago I would have smoked it. But instead I put it in a ziplock bag in a drawer. I don't even want it! How bizzare. It's become like a weird trophy. Maybe I should have it framed.

Aqualung, emu, Judith and 3 others like this.
  20. DogMan

DogMan Butler

I think i had a 1/4 kilo of tobacco in the freezer. Kept it for months just in case.

Gasman, emu, Donna and 1 other person like this.