1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you "dual use" when you started?

Discussion in 'Polling Booth' started by DogMan, Feb 12, 2016.

?

Did you have a period of still using burning tobacco when you started vaping?

1. No, instant switch.

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Yes, a day or less

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Yes, a week or less

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Yes, weeks

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Yes, months

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Yes, I still do

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Yes, until I discovered smokeless tobacoo [snus, snuff etc]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Yes, a year or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Judith was the premier VCA admin, so sad she retired :(

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  10. Chrissy, can you cook for me?

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rotten

rotten Senior Member

I did for a few months, and then the odd one every few months to remind myself how horrible they are. Now I simply cant stand the taste and smell. I do have the occasional cigar every 6 months or so.
    I don't feel bad about what I do have either :hi:

Noe, emu, Judith and 3 others like this.
  2. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

Instant switch ,No nic. It can be done . But realised I was missing nic and purchased some.Stinky free 3 yrs April 11th.

Noe, Cloudy, emu and 4 others like this.
  3. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

I did have 3 weeks where i smoked when i went to vietnam for my wedding. It was not because i wanted to smoke.. it was because i was worried if they found vapegear in my bag at saigon airport there was a chance they would not know what it was and arrest me thinking it was a crackpipe. I could not afford to miss my wedding so i left all my vapegear at home. Every cigarette i had tasted bloody awful and i couldnt wait to get home and vape. I rang my dad before i departed vietnam and said "do not forget to bring my vapegear to the airport". The first thing i did when arriving at melbourne is ask if dad brought my vapegear. He did. Straight back on the vape.

4. Donna

Donna Senior Member

This story is very heartening for me.

I've told my girls many times that if I couldn't vape, I'd smoke. They don't believe I would. They have more faith in me than is warranted.

What I have told them though is that immediately I was able to vape again, I'd not smoke without any fears of being re addicted to them. Steve, you've confirmed that for me so thanks.

Noe, Jerry Hatrick, Cloudy and 5 others like this.
  5. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

I dual used for 5 months until I had an RBA, mech mod and 36mg liquid. I have no doubt I would go back to smoking if I couldn't vape or use snuff. Now I have found snuff I feel it might be possible to use that instead though. If vaping and snuff disappeared I would almost certainly go back to smoking. I am heart broken that I didn't know about smokeless tobacco (snus, snuff and later vaping) before I damaged my lungs.

I have a cigarette sitting in a drawer too and one day I will put it in resin since it is the one I didn't want to smoke and no longer needed.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  6. Andrew Parker

Andrew Parker Senior Member

I switched to vaping a couple of years ago during a trip to the UK. The first day there, I was in a supermarket and noticed some cigalikes containing nicotine and put them in the basket out of curiosity. I tried them out the same evening. Early the next morning I headed off to a dedicated vape shop to buy my first starter kit that I could fill with juice and never looked back.

I did however have a few cigarettes during the first couple of days mainly because I had nine packs left from a carton of duty free (for which I paid something like $20 at Dubai) but mostly because I couldn't really believe that vaping could totally replace cigarettes. I was using a small ego battery with a C4 but it was enough for me to be able to throw eight packs of cigarettes into the bin by the end of a week.

I was lucky in that it was so easy to walk into a shop and buy various e-liquids containing whatever strength of nicotine I wanted - 24mg initially but 18mg by the time I returned home a few weeks later bringing plenty of supplies with me! I've often wondered how many smokers in Australia would have converted by now if you could do the same thing over here.

Noe, Gasman, Jerry Hatrick and 9 others like this.
  7. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Get it bronzed. Make a perfect trophy I reckon.
    Mounted on an offcut of those fancy timbers that folks build those flash mods out of.
    You could have an awards ceremony at your next vaperversary

Pippi, Donna, Judith and 2 others like this.
  8. Steve Thomas

When i first switched to vaping i carried 3 cigarettes everywhere i went for about 4 weeks. I think because i "knew they were there if i wanted them" made it alot easier to keep vaping. I had no anxiety at all about being without a cigarette. I knew they were there, but simply did not need or want them. I may be one of the lucky ones that seems to have made the switch very easily, but i did start vaping at 36mg. I used to smoke 8mg cigarettes.

Pippi, Cloudy, Donna and 4 others like this.
  9. Steve Thomas

When i flew in a plane on 3 overseas trips i used nicabate oral mint strips. They were not satisfying but they did take the edge off my cravings. They gave me a horrible sore throat. They tasted crap. I wish i knew about snuff before i flew, i would have used snuff instead.

Pippi and emu like this.
  10. DogMan

DogMan Yes

just remembered i wore patches in addition to the 24mg nic i started on :rofl: not sure why, or if it helped, but kept hem on a couple of weeks

Pippi likes this.
  11. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Actually, I believe that dual use is an important path to transition; at least for most smokers. Quick fixes rarely work.
    I tell those I assist.. "Smoke outside when you need to and Vape while you're watching TV or indoors".

Stuart, margyb, Judith and 4 others like this.
  12. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Great sales pitch Charles without selling it. I must use that next time. Thanks.

Judith and DogMan like this.
  13. rotten

rotten Senior Member

Initial update: When I started I vaped @ 24 mg for a few months and smoked. I went to 36 mg for only 2 weeks which helped heaps.
    Ive been at 12 mg for over 2 years now regardless of setup.

sent from my emptying glass

Stuart, Judith, Pippi and 4 others like this.
  14. btobw

btobw Member

I was an "instant" quitter. I just thought vaping might help me cut down a bit, but, after my first vape with 18 mg/ml nic, I just never needed another cigarette. Consequently, I still have a partial pouch of tobacco in the back of my cupboard, along with filters, papers and the little rolling machine I used to use. It's over 2 1/2 years since my last cigarette.

The tobacco might be a teensy bit dry now, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it out when I had a clean out a couple of months ago.
    [​IMG]

Noe, Stuart, margyb and 8 others like this.
  15. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I have often had the same thought myself and do believe that if we had half as many b&m as the UK coupled with nic juice we would have a shed load less smokers.
    It was a delight to walk into a b&m and be able to see juice with nic let alone all the choice.
    Every shop I went into was busy full of people talking about vaping and some obviously for the first time.
    Logic dictates Australia cannot remain in the dark ages forever and our objective will come one day.

DogMan, emu, Noe and 4 others like this.
  16. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

Straight switch for me. Still getting used to vaping but I know I won't go back. Sometimes I still have an auto reflex to light a cig but pick up the vaporizer instead. As Cloud9 said, its all about the gear thats why I'm here lol... I moved quickly and spent a bit of money. If I'd tried to persist with the firts vaporizer I bought I would have started smoking again for sure!!!

Steve Thomas, emu, Judith and 2 others like this.
  17. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Since I have ample stock of snus & snuff, I probably wouldn't smoke again but if I was without those too then I probably would or maybe use some minitabs (which wouldn't work out any cheaper than smoking & be less satisfying).
    About a year after I sarted vaping I was out of reach of my vape gear for about 4hrs, after my PV 's batt decided to run out of power (I didn't know about snus or snuff then) & I had 1/2 a cancer stick to get me through until I got back to my spare batt etc.
    The smoke was disgusting & it confirmed to me that I don't like smoking at all but I needed the nicotine, as soon as I got back to my spare batt I chain vaped for about 20mins LOL

I still have a full pack of Captain Black Cherry cigars, that are over 5 years old sitting in my drawer, unopened & in the original non-plain package pack, I'm sure someone would smoke them if they really needed to, maybe after another 5 years I'll get them framed & sell them as a collectors item LOL

Steve Thomas, emu, Judith and 3 others like this.
  18. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Yep me too, started on a Evod kit and within two weeks changed Vapes and did that for a least a year - it was costly and I sure didn't save money by giving up the Cigs - but I did save myself :)
    Ps, I still spend about the same as I would have on my Rollies but giving up was never about the dollars for me - it was that I was coughing myself to near death!

Noe, emu, Donna and 3 others like this.
  19. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I use snus on plane trips, it's longer lasting than snuff & longer acting, plus it's more discrete.
    I even eat on the plane either with it in or with it tucked into a napkin & put back in when I'm done eating. On a 3-4hr flight I'll use 2 snus pouches & don't miss vaping at all while using them.

Steve Thomas, emu and Pippi like this.
  20. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

That is a good tip :)

emu and Stuart like this.