Different Resistance Readings, Same RDA + Coils

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by loganrah, Apr 8, 2018.

1. loganrah

loganrah New Member

So I have a wisemec guillotine that came with a RX machina mechanical mod. It has the stock clapton coils that came with it installed in a dual coil build. According to the wisemec site those coils are .28 ohms each, so a dual coil build should be ~0.14 ohms. My Innokin Coolfire Ultra reads the resistance as 0.16 ohms, which seems close enough to be right. But both my coil master mini tab and my asmodus minikin 2 read the resistance as roughly 0.28 ohms. Not sure which one I should trust? Might there be something wrong with the asmodus or coolfire reading? They seem to agree closely enough on all my other atomisers, so there is no obviously systematic problem. I am unsure what material these coils are made of, so I guess they could be some odd material?

Rayjay likes this.
  2. loganrah

loganrah New Member

In case it matters the clapton coils are described by wisemec as: " 4 ply Flat Ribbon Wire core wrapped with 38g". All my other coils are either kanthal or stainless steel plain wire that I have hand coiled.

More details (no idea if it matters): Both the asmodus and the coil master have spring loaded pins, while the coolfire is a fixed pin.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Rayjay likes this.
  3. loganrah

loganrah New Member

Solved (by the power of playing around with stuff till it works): Turns out there was a little screw on the bottom of the guillotine (presumably holding one of the posts in place, it is a squonk capable RDA) which I tightened and that fixed the problem (all of mods now correctly reading about 0.16 ohms). No idea why that would make a difference between the mods, instead of just giving an inaccurate reading on all the mods, but hopefully it might help someone else to know.

Rayjay, Noe and Flea like this.
  4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I know this reply is late but it is likely that that screw was causing most of your mods to make an improper connection, while your Coolfire was able to make a proper connection.
    I have no experience with that RDA but I know from experience with other toppers that if the positive pin on the 510 connection is not making good contact that it will cause variable ohm readings. So by tightening that screw you would have moved it inwards a fraction, which allowed the RDA to get proper connection on your other mods.

Hope that helps you understand it a little better :)