1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you buy counterfeit vaping gear?

Discussion in 'Polling Booth' started by Doona, Jun 13, 2015.

?

Do you buy counterfeit vaping gear?

1. No

2. I buy clones (same design, but no logos)

3. I buy counterfeits (clones that also have OEM logos)

4. I buy a bit of everything

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Doona

Doona New Member

I silently watched on AVF as people were attacked on both sides when it came to the discussion over counterfeit vaping gear. It was both sickening and counter productive at times. I thought with a new forum there might be a chance for a civil debate on the issue.

I myself only buy original gear. That's a personal value-based choice however. I have a slight moral issue with people buying clones, but I'm less accepting of people supporting wholesale theft of the entire box and dice. It just seems wrong to me.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see if this forum can have a more civil debate on this issue. Keep it friendly people.

wedgtail, James and Noe like this.
  2. James

James Senior Member

I buy some clones and I buy some authentics
    Regulated Mods Authentic only.
    RDA's generally clones unless the authentic is reasonably priced, no dotmod I will not spend $100 US for your petri RDA

Sure, I don't like buying clones but hey, some of the things I like are either stupidly (in my opinon) priced or the modder can't even support the market with enough quantity.
    Either way I am happy with either as long as they 1) Keep me off cigarettes and 2) Provide me with a good vape

Some of the clones I have are either just as good or are the exact same thing as the authentic for example Turbo RDA by Tobecco (Tobecco make the Authentic under their US division Ohm-Nation)
    I'm sure more will come to mind later on, but that's my reply for now

p.s good choice making a thread like this, could be very controversial but I'd love to know everyone's opinion

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    wedgtail likes this.
  3. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I prefer not to buy clones but I can't always afford up to $200, for an atty I can buy for $10 that looks & does the same job.
    Lately a lot of Chinese cloners have started designing their own original gear, which is nowhere near as expensive as some originals made elsewhere.
    I'm happy to buy these new cheaper originals, seems to me the best of both worlds.
    YouDe have always made Original pieces & their designs of late have been top notch.
    Wotofo, make some decent clones & have started making originals.
    HCigar, a well know clone producer has started making atties & box mod originals.
    Infinite, also cloners are now making originals.
    The trend is obvious & the quality of these Chinese manufacturers is often better than the Originals they cloned, their Originals are similarly of high quality.

4. Doona

Doona New Member

I agree, it's heartening to finally see China come out with some of their own designs.

So that then poses the question, why do people still buy counterfeits of other gear when there are legitimate low-cost options available? (not a rhetorical question btw, a genuine question)

5. James

James Senior Member

For me, because they are so cheap, cheaper than low-cost authentics and they are also more accessible.
    e.g I could buy 3-4 clones OR I could spend that $35 and get an authentic Mutation X v4 (example of a low cost authentic)
    Plot twist, I did both >__<

edit: I agree with Noe below, Hype does play a large role

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  6. Noe

1 word - Hype.

Hype the product & everyone wants them, take for instance the KF V4 everyone wanted the lastest KF but it was a nightmare to use 768(ok maybe not that many) pieces to assemble & disassemble, multiple places where leaks could & did occur & yet people wanted them because of the hype.
    Originals were expensive so cloners had a perfect opportunity to cash in on that hype & of course most of the clones were worse than the original because of the amount of parts.
    I never bothered with the KFV4, saw it for what it was & got another Orchid V4.

7. Doona

Doona New Member

The KF4 seemed to be the biggest fall from grace we've seen in the vaping world for while, coming off the success of the KFL+

8. Noe

Luckily other manufacturers stepped up, Eleaf, Youde to mention a couple that have excellently designed, 2015 circa ,Original tanks atties & at affordable prices, cloners are finding hard to undercut their prices even.
    When All you're saving is $5 on an original by buying a clone, most will buy the original.

Maggie, Judith, Browny and 1 other person like this.
  9. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

atties i buy knock offs

10. MarkAtNeerim

MarkAtNeerim Senior Member

I'll buy a clone if the original I'm after is real pricey, so I can try the form factor and get a feel for the mod before I layout big dollars. Currently vaping a VF clone from FastTech, it's since been withdrawn from sale because it contravenes copyright but has convinced me that the Vapor Flask format is the way ahead for me. Now that VaporShark and Vapor Flask are collaborating on a new Flask at a more realistic price I'll probably grab one.

Victory Vape likes this.
  11. Catweazle

Catweazle Minion

I don't like counterfeit but I despise gouging. $200 for a tube mech? One off custom, OK. But a mass produced? Oh please...

The only people I've seen try and justify the gouging with "R&D" etc obviously (to me) know nothing about the subject.

THIS

Browny and DogMan like this.
  12. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

I buy a bit of everything .

margyb likes this.
  13. Northerner

Northerner Member

People claim that the authentic modders are gouging (some are)... but I have to point out that many are going titsup also. They can't get an army of ants to attack a job for $20 an hour like the Chinese. People like to think of that price they pay being profit for these modders but that is far from the truth. Materials, wages, tools, workplace, insurance, shipping, marketing... they can't produce for x5 of what the Chinks do it for.

That said, the Koreans and Phillipinos pretend to offer high end gear but in reality all it is is just shiny. Many a person been sucked into their junk too.

14. Noe

Yes but the smart modders, make their own prototype, then have a Chinese factory mass produce their Originals, then sometimes charge exorbitant prices for them (coughKayfuncough) & make a killing.
    Not all modders do that but more than a few do.
    You can't tell me an original, made in a Chinese factory is worth $100, when the clone (often made by the same factory ie OEM) turns up in Chinese vendor sites for $10 - $15.
    This is where most people will buy clones & get the same quality as the original.

15. ThrashR

ThrashR New Member

I used to get clones or cheaper mods for work. Tradesmen always braking tanks etc and mods falling from the forklift, but I have started to just take my K4 with the steel tank instead.
    Basically I try to buy what I think will be the best for what I can afford.

16. Northerner

Northerner Member

Yeah I totally agree with you there, the KF4 got what it deserved for this douchebaggery. So did the AquaV2 by Footoon.

Catweazle and Noe like this.
  17. Tara

Tara Member

Exactly. This is me at the moment too :)

Im a student and Im not working so there is no way in the world I could afford to buy some of these high end 'originals'.

But when I can afford to spend that sort of cash I will be very picky as to what I buy. I think a lot of the stuff that comes out is way overpriced and
    not that innovative. Especially with the RDA's. Im all for giving credit where its due but you cant just copy bits n pieces off other RDA's and get upset
    when China clones your 'original'.

18. Victory Vape

Victory Vape Member VCA Approved Vendor

We stock both clones and authentics, try to keep everyone happy...we never buy counterfeits of main brands like Aspire, Kangertech, Joyetech etc. and always authentics in regulated mods...

19. Northerner

Northerner Member

Vaping gear discussion Victory Vape, not vendor discussion :spank:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  20. James

James Senior Member

Mech mod? this is the Clone vs Authentic thread!:spank: