1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you buy counterfeit vaping gear?

Discussion in 'Polling Booth' started by Doona, Jun 13, 2015.

?

Do you buy counterfeit vaping gear?

1. No

2. I buy clones (same design, but no logos)

3. I buy counterfeits (clones that also have OEM logos)

4. I buy a bit of everything

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Northerner

Northerner Member

Oi! I edited that typo out long before.... cross posting madness. You have some too mate :spank:

:rofl:

2. Northerner

Northerner Member

Back on the topic though...

I have bought up 1/2 a dozen copper clones that I'm gonna try out some forced patina effects on. Seems a shame to do that to $150 mod.

3. Hoffer

Hoffer Member

In the past I have always bought a bit of both depending on the stage I have been at on my vaping journey.

Today is my 2 year aniversary of giving up. I have less mods than I have ever had but no clones anymore.

Only clone I have is a 2 puffs drip tip and a billet box that is completely battered after one night on the booze but moving forward I'm going to limit myself to three maybe four decent mods with decent atti's then keep my older battered stuff for nights on the beer

Browny and Catweazle like this.
  4. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

2 years today? Congrats to you. Well done.

5. Hoffer

Hoffer Member

Why thank you maybe I should treat myself something nice lol

Tara and Catweazle like this.
  6. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Of course you should!

And, of course, it is easy for me to spend your money! :)

Catweazle, Hoffer and Northerner like this.
  7. Northerner

Northerner Member

If it's going round I'll spend some too :giggle:

Catweazle, Hoffer and DaveJ like this.
  8. Danyel

Danyel Member

I think clones are good for testing new products. After I decide I like said product or not, I'll either go and buy the real thing, or it gets given away or ends up in my draw with all the other useless junk.

Maggie and Tara like this.
  9. Browny

Browny Senior Member

Single income household limits your funds some what and yes I've bought a clone, I like most people will buy an original if they can.
    I don't buy myself things that often so generally I save and just buy the cheaper original options, it all does the same job in the end and I personally find it hard to justify how something worth $200-$300 will be far superior to something worth $100 when essentially they do the same job.

Cheap versions will kill any industry, it gets more normalized every year, it often then drives the cost of original or same country items up further as less people buy them. I try my best to buy local and original for everything I do, but looking at the businesses around today it's not easy for many.

Tara, Northerner and Danyel like this.
  10. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I agree with Browny.

I really try to get all authentic as much as possible. In fact, of all of my vape gear, only one RDA is a knock-off.

I'll buy the original if I can, but otherwise... Also, I like to be able to test something before I commit. When an RDA costs $200 and I don't know if I'll like the setup, its too much of a gamble to drop that on an authentic at first. If the setup is good at a clone level, that would probably entice me to spend the extra to get the authentic.

Also - Support local FTW!

Browny likes this.
  11. Doona

Doona New Member

Based on how I defined clone versus counterfeits, you actually sell counterfeits as the items carry both the designs, names and logos of other companies. I know my definition is different to that which is generally used, but in my own tiny mind there is a distinction. Calling it a clone on your page is not really a get out of jail free card.

At least you aren't as brazen as this guy http://forums.aussievapers.com/vendor-general/32409-big-puffa-passing-off-clones-genuine.html :rofl:

12. Pipesub

Pipesub Senior Member

A bit of both. That said, what's in my hand now? A Provari with a Rose V2 authentic. At work it's a Billet Box. All my drippers (that I don't use much) and RTAs except for a Squape R & Russian are clones. I want a second Rose V2 or the Snapdragon, when it comes out, but I refuse to purchase a clone. Why, I saw an interview by Lee Alder where he talked about his design and mfr process as well as costs. He didn't seem like a gouger. Just a guy building quality vape gear. I think that to a certain extent, once you get to know the creator it puts a different face on it. After bills and such I'm lucky to have 50 bucks a month "mad money" and can't justify all these high end prices. Of course, it doesn't help hanging out on vaping forums (need I mention "So you want to Squonk"). It's the "want" versus the "need". Sigh :sweating:

DogMan likes this.
  13. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

I buy all sorts but then I have a limited budget (who doesn't these days lol), I don't have a big personal issue with clones and/or counterfeits so long as they are sold as what they are. I mostly stick with clones and what genuine items I can afford but I will admit to owning some counterfeits (clones with logos)

14. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I only have authentic regulated mods and cheap egos. I have bought some clone mechs and authentic magnetos as they are cheap anyway! Majority of rbas and rdas are authentic.I like a lot of people struggle to justify paying $100's for a product which although of superior design and probably superior performance does essentially the same job. I have been tempted by an authentic squape but am simply going on reviews and opinions and do wonder is it really worth the extra thinking that money could be spent on a similar product and some. I have every respect for a person who refuses to buy a cloned product but ultimately it's your choice and as long as its not funding criminals I think it's giving me a chance to at least get an idea of the authentic product. Personally I do feel a tad guilty with using a clone but I do and I respect anybody's right of choice.

Dalork likes this.
  15. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior Member

I ONLY BUY 100% ORIGINAL PRODUCTS.
    Call me old fashioned, but i find in life you get what you pay for. If the product i wish to purchase has been cloned and on sale for a cheaper price, i will always disregard it and buy the original for a higher price (no matter the price difference). Yes i may only be paying for a name or brand on many occassions. But i believe if that company has taken the time to create a quality product and market it correctly, they deserve to have my business.
    A company that rips off a product from another company for starters, cannot and should not be accepted or trusted by anyone in my opinion.
    Imagine you start a company and make a product, buy a patent, pay people to make your product and sell your product.
    And then a week later or a month later you find out everyone in china is making your product at a cheaper price, usually due to inferior manufacturing materials, slave labour, reduced working conditions and no damage control/testing.
    I support real products no matter the cost so the real producers get my $$$ and produce the next quality product. If i am happy with my purchase i will look to buy products first and foremost from the company i trust in the future.

16. Northerner

Northerner Member

I hope you avoid all Asian products too Steve... That way you can support true innovation and at least try to stem the tide of China crap that is the majority of vaping products on the market.

There is so much to be found but you need to add "-china -shenzen -styled -alibaba -clone" to every google search.

The Italian, British, French and Swiss are bringing out some amazing gear.... not to mention the Russians. It's out there if you look for it.

"Authentic" Kanger or Aspire (or any other mass money market chink producer) hold little value for me, a clone would cost the same to make. These guys aren't true innovators, just idea rapers and purgers of authenticity. (though they do have their place with the noobs)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    Gasman likes this.
  17. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Got to admire your convictions. Fair comment.

18. Northerner

Northerner Member

Admittedly if I think an item is disgustingly overpriced (and I need it) I'll buy a clone of it.

I needed a flat top cap for my ChiYou and so looked through the legit channels. $70 was what they wanted! For a top cap for a mod that cost $250.... No customer loyalty at all from MoJo. So I bought a fasttech knockoff for $3, looks 100% legit. Screw em. Since then I also refuse to buy from the Malay or the Koreans also. They are just in it for the money, more nasty Asian sellers.

19. Fluffy

Fluffy Senior Member

I buy genuine mods (for safety) but I do get clone drippers. (I have 3 magma clones, but I also just bought a genuine magma reborn) I try to always support genuine, but if I can't, I don't. If reborn comes out as a Clone in a s.s finish....? I'll definitely get it.

20. Old Grump

Old Grump Guest

Not as as a rule. Do get tempted though when new types of attys apear. Try cheaper copy first.

Moving foward tobacco free World!