Domestic Flight

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by salamanda, Jun 14, 2015.

1. salamanda

salamanda Member

Thank so much everyone and Dave J I will the raid the tupperware cupboard and I know I have plenty of ziploc bags here, at least now my vape gear is the least of my worries now to get over the nervousness of my first flight.... :crying: Thanks all

DaveJ likes this.
  2. Dennis_Loki

Dennis_Loki Member

Just be thankful this new Boeing isn't around just yet

3. salamanda

salamanda Member

No thank you..... Id prefer to walk to Queensland did you see how flimsy those wings looked

4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Remind me not to fly Vietnam Airlines, that pilot couldn't fly straight!

5. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

It looked like a swan flying. Quite beautiful although a terrifying take off it that was real.

6. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Looked real enough, I doubt with passengers on board they would take off like that though.

Judith likes this.
  7. Nunga

Nunga Member

Dave I had my juice in the zip lock bags, and they were great, thanks for the tip. I had no trouble at all on my flights up to Perth, and then onto Melbourne, and back again. I put mods (vamos) in checked luggage along with my RBA kit with screw drivers, pliers etc. I took an istick and batteries for the vamos in hand luggage, juice was also in checked luggage and leaked slightly, but thanks to the zip lock bags, it didn't go on any clothes.

I told the people at the security check what was in my carry on bag, and they didn't bat an eyelid, except for one guy who asked if he could see the nautilus, and then asked where to get them :) All very smooth.

DaveJ, margyb, Aussie and 1 other person like this.
  8. Donna

Donna Senior Member

I was on quite a few flights recently and as long as you don't have more than 100mls in any liquid (including toothpaste) inside carry on you'll be fine. At one airport I had a 30ml bottle of eliquid and a 115gr toothpaste and I had to give one up. Guess you know which one I let them put in the bin.

I had two isticks and 2 clearos that I put in the trays with phone, ipad etc. and they didn't blink an eye anywhere.

Nunga and DaveJ like this.
  9. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

With my recent domestic trips, that was my experience too. Good to hear flying OS is similar.

Nunga and Donna like this.
  10. salamanda

salamanda Member

Thank you to all you who gave me the heads up on the proper procedure to carry vape gear on a my flight to Brisbane, It turned out it saved me from a lot of anguish.
    I put all my Juice and Tanks in zip-lock bags and my Batteries were sealed on positive ends with electrical tape and placed them in appropriate containers.
    I was pulled over and scanned thoroughly, the scan kept reading I had some form of explosive on me (which they had done 4 times) they made me take of my shoes and jacket gave me a pat down, made me produce proof of name and address which they made a few phone calls (to whom I not sure) went through my Checked in luggage on the plane.
    I kept asking if it could be any of my vape gear in my hand bag (which they had emptied and went through thoroughly) but insisted it was perfectly fine.
    I have no idea why I was showing traces of explosive. However due to the correct procedure in carrying vape gear they had no reason to keep me and let me proceed.
    Funny thing is the trip home to Sydney I went strait through without a second look.
    By the way I really enjoyed flying wasn't as bad as thought it would be.

Admin and Nunga like this.
  11. Big O

Big O Member

Fertilised your yard recently? I made that error before flying once lol

Judith and Nunga like this.
  12. salamanda

salamanda Member

After doing a bit of Google-ing It turns out quite a few people have had the same experience and I think its due to sanitizers and or glycerine based soap. I remember my baby niece had just grabbed my leg with food covered hands so I used a bit of liquid soap to dab on the mark before going through check in....

13. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Glycerine? VG from recent juice mixing? Donno, just a guess.

What a nuisance for you. At least your PV stuff caused no concern. I hope your next flying trip involves less trials for you.

14. Nunga

Nunga Member

This happened to my SO on the flight to Melbourne, he had spend the day before at the golf club helping out with fertilizing the greens, got pulled aside and tested 3 times for explosives, as he was getting an alert. We asked the guy what the alert was for, and he said it was the test for chemicals found in fertilizers, and was above the background rating. Interesting :)

15. The Outback Vape Cafe

The Outback Vape Cafe New Member VCA Approved Vendor

Here's something handy for those flying just in case you get a security person who seems to think you can't fly with your ecig (being a private pilot myself I've seen this happen). It is within CASA policy itself that an ecig is a portable electronic device and acceptable (and as such the battery portion needs to be carried on carry on luggage):

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_100414

My advice, having done a lot of flying with these things (I think it's already been mentioned, but just to reiterate) is that the tank is best in a zip lock bag as the pressure change makes them leak! Liquids should go in check in baggage (once again in zip lock bags).
    I always suggest having the info in the link on hand just in case.
    Cheers!

margyb and DaveJ like this.
  16. wedgtail

wedgtail Member

Not strictly vape related but i gave a friend some white sage to smudge her new house with when she got to Brisbane air port the drug dog went wild and became here new best friend seems salvia apanna has some resemblance to marijuana :banana:

margyb and Judith like this.
  17. Sassy

Sassy New Member

the key to avoid tank leaks is to have them oriented so that liquid is not covering the intake holes.

The air inside the tank will expand by a factor of two during ascent. This will try to push out through the intake holes, forcing liquid out if it is covering the holes.

So for bottom coil designs like nauts, they need to be upside down.

Only matters during ascent.

margyb and Broony like this.
  18. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Right so, no one really mentioned the juice and liquid restrictions into the cabin. You see, if I am going for a week or less, I only do carry on luggage. So whats the most that you can take into the cabin liquid wise? Any issues?

19. Donna

Donna Senior Member

100ml of any liquid. It includes toiletries like toothpaste, moisturiser etc. I had to throw out toothpaste to keep my eliquid

20. Big O

Big O Member

For interstate flights? I carry a over litre with me from Brisbane to Perth for work on a monthly basis. Never been hit up about it.