1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

Dust extraction ideas

Discussion in 'Modding and Technical' started by rotten, Sep 7, 2015.

1. rotten

rotten Senior Member

G'day all.
    There's plenty of modders around here. How do you handle dust extraction? I'm looking for something I can build myself or can acquire on the cheap.

My beard is the dust extractor at the moment

Browny likes this.
  2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

One of those mini Vacs (the kind that you can mount on the wall) will work for small projects, just set it down switched on, near to the work being done & it will at least pull fine particles in the air into itself.
    This isn't the most elegant solution but it will get most of the dust.
    The vac may need to be held down somehow to prevent it vibrating itself off the workbench though.

rotten likes this.
  3. Browny

Browny Senior Member

My current system is the same as yours, but with a beanie for the top fuzz too.

Plan is a shop vac with custom made ports. You can get shop vac's at a half decent price and the hose is usually a useable length.
    Not as effective but a lot cheaper than some of the industrial extraction units some folks have.

YouTube has the odd clip of peoples cheaper vac setups too.

rotten likes this.
  4. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Browny and rotten like this.
  5. rotten

rotten Senior Member

Yeah I've seen those.
    Nice but not possible. I'd really like to crank up the lathe again but filled up the shed with dust last time. I've also already burnt out a vaccuum with dust.

I mostly use hand power tools, files, sanding etc.

Would a ceiling fan and ducting into a bag work?

6. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

I really doubt it, rotton.

I've got a "hood" like this: https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-control/accessories/big-gulp-with-stand-1-c-10kg-48-48-33-cm for some messy jobs on the router table where I cannot use the fence. Sorta works - but only gets stuff that is close to it and/or "floating" right in front of it. I kinda reckon it'd be a stretch expecting a ceiling fan to pick up much that comes off a lathe or sander.

rotten likes this.
  7. rotten

rotten Senior Member

Thanks guys. Will look for a descent shop vac

Browny and DaveJ like this.
  8. Browny

Browny Senior Member

Ceiling fan might get a bit of that dust that likes to settle on EVERYTHING, I hate cleaning the whole garage from too much sawdust.

9. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz Member

You can build your own swirl filtre from a 44 gal drum and PVC pipe - they work really well and bugger all get’s though to the vac ‘driving’ it - just google DIY 44 gal drum cyclone vac. Those blue chemical drums are even easier to build.

Browny likes this.
  10. Browny

Browny Senior Member

Thanks for sharing that, considering where I work the drums are the easy part.

Jimmy Jazz likes this.