emu's early building days

Discussion in 'The Shed' started by emu, Jan 16, 2018.

1. emu

emu Senior Member

I was renting a house at a place called Verrierdale between Noosa and Eumundi when I was a young fella and the owner who was a solicitor in Sydney come to the house one weekend, so we got talking and he discovered I was a carpenter and one thing lead to another.
    He wanted to do a full renovation on the place and he commissioned me to do it for him because I was living there which made a lot of sense to both of us.
    The fella who built it was a German WW2 bunker designer so it was very structurally strong.

It is on 100 acres in a tucked away location and a very sort after area these days, just the driveway is 1 KM from the road to the house which is up high on a mountain with superb views looking west. The only photos I have are printed ones so I've had to take a photo of them with my phone so please excuse the quality.

[​IMG]

You can just see the house up the top in the middle of the photo below

[​IMG]

The house is a ten sided design made from RSJ's as the frame and a formwork concrete verandah all the way around with an open ground level featuring a steel spiral staircase enclosed in a rock wall from the ground floor to the first floor.
    I had to enclose the ground floor and made five bedrooms a big bathroom and the laundry.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I put a nice Rosewood Log standing up in the center to transfer the extra weight from the third floor I was yet to build :)

[​IMG]

Thats the floor I built in the middle of the house because from the first floor to the roof in the centre was about 9 meters and you had no way of getting up there to look out the windows and take in the beautiful view. This bloke had plenty of money and spared no expense.

[​IMG]

I fitted a mahogany timber spiral staircase to access the new third floor I just built which come in a kit form and I just had to assemble it on site. $4000 just for the staircase...

[​IMG]

Because the frame was made of solid steel RSJ's I had to shoot the special nails through the pine frame into the steel with a 22 charge shell in a special ramset gun, once I had all the timbers on the main steel frames then I could build off them and do all the infill frame ready for sheeting with 133x10 radiata pine tongue and groove boards.
    I used 3000 Lm's of the pine boards for the whole job and he wanted every single board hidden nailed so that meant nailing in the groove by hand with 1 inch brads then using a punch to tap the head in so the next boards tongue could slip into the groove of the one I just nailed.
    Took me 2 years for the whole job but I loved it with free rent and $500 a week which was a lot of money 25 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Come up really nice though and after the painters finished coating all the pine with liming white it looked a treat, but you'll have to wait till I get the rest of the photo's of everything finished from Qld.

[​IMG]

I made the rails around the verandah out of logs and lattice and used a tractor to bore the holes and stand the posts but I had to get a small crane in to lift the rails in place, the rails were just over 7 meters long and I had to order them specially because of the length and that took 6 months as well as having to wait for them to be cut then treated and delivered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I built a big deck over the concrete water tank which was 6 meters by 6 meters just for some extra room and somewhere to have a BBQ.

[​IMG]

That was the view from the third floor when I was finished looking Northwest up towards Cooroy way.

[​IMG]

When I get the rest of the photos I'll post them here to finish it off but you get the general idea of the size of the job which was my first big project. :)

Flea, Admin, Wanda and 4 others like this.
  2. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Very impressive.

I'll admit to having a one track mind though as when I read the thread title I immediately thought it was going to be pictures of your first coiling adventures!

The fact remains that the pictures show some very good craftsmanship.

The first pipe I brazed looked crap.
    Come to think of it my brazing hasn't improved much.

Flea and emu like this.
  3. emu

emu Senior Member

I done a lot of jobs for friends when we lived in Peterborough SA for 5 years, I managed to dig up a few photos from my Dropbox account.

Anyway just a few pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Admin, Flea, Deadonarrival and 2 others like this.
  4. emu

emu Senior Member

Gotta love the old outback towns in Australia, plenty of timber from long ago in the ruins just waiting to be discovered.
    A lady in Peterborough SA commissioned me to make an open cupboard for her craft supplies, she supplied the salvaged jarrah floor boards from the town theatre circa 1899 and I had the pleasure of making it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. emu

emu Senior Member

Can't find the rest of the pics of the theatre but did dig up a couple of the stage lol, love old towns with a colorful history :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deadonarrival and DogMan like this.
  6. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

That one is gorgeous. So streamlined and sleek

7. emu

emu Senior Member

Thanks mate

DogMan likes this.