Everyone patch your Windows OS urgently - Critical weakness

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Glen, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Glen

Glen Member

some very recent news here (true) http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33608364

patch download link here (if your auto updates are turned off) if your auto updates are turned on, most likely its already taken care of https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS15-078

find relevant windows version on left, and click on the operating system name. page will lead to next page , over there click download, and follow the instructions.

now the above problem is proven to have began being utilized in the below example.. so this warning is not due to your typical house calls from supposed windows security scam guys... lets keep it separate.

today, an elderly friend of mine rang me and said, hey Glen there was some security warnings on my pc, and i rang the phone number shown there, she said, that the person on the phone is trying to sell her a security program.
    I told her, just hung up its a scam.. she then said, ok i will but how do i get her out from my computer
    i was HUH.. and apparently my friend already clicked on some stuff and did things and the person on the phone who is pretending to be a telstra pc security technician is already remote controlling her pc..

i told her to cut net connection immediately and keep pc turned off until i see it and fix the issue tomorrow.

after this situation, some research led me to the topic information.
    Be alert and alert others you may know..
    This is not a drill :spank:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Browny likes this.
  2. IGsrGR8

IGsrGR8 Senior Member

That's why I gave up using Windoze many years ago :)

3. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

love those calls

me "can you tell from your end what OS I am using?"
    them "i can see here you are using windows 7 or 8"
    me "i use linux"
    [phone hangs up from their end]

IGsrGR8 and Judith like this.
  4. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Hate those calls.

Then: "I'm from MS Windows support..."
    Me: "fuck off"..CLICK

IGsrGR8, Browny and margyb like this.
  5. Glen

Glen Member

this issue is a bit different than the usual phone scam guys :)

6. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

i find talking to calls like that gets them to go away longer

7. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Yes, it is. Sorry.

Windows update had a single new fix a couple of days ago - that may well have been the one to address what you referred to.

8. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

They used to say they were from windows here now they say they are from Telstra
    I get calls most nights at teatime
    So sick of them

Browny and DaveJ like this.
  9. Glen

Glen Member

i used to get those calls often.. i would usually say, hey mate i am a pc technician, what did you say again? usually went ummm ermmm hangup.

i have a number of elderly friends, over the years helping them with stuff, i've learned how they are a completely different breed in terms of perceiving windows issues, and some scam shit going around.
    this is why they design the scam targeting non-geeks.. these are the people with fatter credit cards, and more coin to be scammed from with a lot more ease. Using trusted company names or sentences,
    like "windows approved emergency support department" etc etc..

the friend who bite this hook today is actually a very well educated and intellectual woman. can operate a pc at basic level, and use common programs.. though, if she hadn't called me today most likely, they'd have gotten her credit card and prolly online banking details as well. The assistant was telling her
    "as soon as i fix the issue and log out, you better change all your passwords of important accounts" which of course, they would not log out, and still remote watch whats happening..

it's so sad and frustrating that this shit happens a lot, and these guys don't even get jailed usually... i've heard of people who got their entire bank account gone..

10. James

James Senior Member

I rarely get those calls, but when I do it makes my week

I get so much enjoyment out of trolling them

DogMan likes this.
  11. Sean

Sean Pommie Git

I've had these dickheads on the phone, ask them to wait while I boot my pc, put the receiver down near the TV, come back half an hour later and the muppet is still on the other end! :)

Judith, The Vaper, margyb and 2 others like this.
  12. MarkAtNeerim

MarkAtNeerim Senior Member

I also tell i am starting my pc, pit the phone on top of a tadio tuned to talkback or news and leave it for an hour.

My neighbour knows nothing of PC's, called me the other day to ask about the man who called from Microsoft, when I told her it was a hoax she said 'good, I kept him on the phone for an hour, until he asked for my credit card'. Canny lady

Browny and DaveJ like this.
  13. dnar

dnar Member

Hi, oh no really? Can I speak with Goopta? Who is Goopta? He is the guy that I normally deal with from your company. No one called Goopta here mate. Yes he called yesterday, same problem. Click.....

Judith and Browny like this.
  14. MarkAtNeerim

MarkAtNeerim Senior Member

Do I need to patch double glazed windows?

15. IGsrGR8

IGsrGR8 Senior Member

I migrated from DOS to Windows and loved it until ……

Am on the University system with a laptop and it's a case of constantly applying security patches.

Finally I just broke, and went Mac OSX 1 …

Been there ever since, I don't get weird phone calls from anyone about my computer ….

End of problem :cancan:

16. Glen

Glen Member

guys, this thread is not about the common scam calls to your home phone.
    this is far more serious, and as the bug has been officially announced, there will be many groups exploiting this.

assuming full remote control of a distant computer via a simple script that runs by tricking the system thru common fonts in a simple executable file is "A BLOODY SCARY THING"
    yes i understand you all know of the scams and calls and tricks..
    i'm tellin ya.. this is different :)

margyb and IGsrGR8 like this.
  17. dnar

dnar Member

Put on yes aluminium foil hats now!

18. Glen

Glen Member

i never remove mine .. not even in shower !!!!:rofl:

19. Browny

Browny Senior Member

I'm lazy and set auto-update for a weekly check, things like this pop up I check for myself also.
    Seems windowz are getting more of these each time a new version comes out, I would have thought they would get it right by now.

Laptop has been dying for months now so time I start shopping for an alternative I think.

20. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

With all the problems Windows 10 is looking like it will bring, I think I may just go Linux, finally.

Thanks for the warning Glen.