First Squonk / MECH (nervous laughter)

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by mattythornton, Nov 23, 2017.

1. mattythornton

mattythornton New Member

Hey guys- decided it's time to look into the squonk and mech world - so I have a Geekvape Athena arriving later today- what should my first build be? Not really overly phased by blowing huge clouds (seems like somewhat of a pissing contest tbh) more after flavour.
    It comes with the Athena RDA and although the build deck would allow me to fit a single coil in the guts the airflow would be off as you can't rotate it away from the coils (or where it thinks the coils should be). Also have a Dead Rabbit I can load up a bigger single coil if I want to (have some pre made SS and N80 fused clapton wire) if that's going to be my best bet...

And yeah- reason it's taken me so long to check it out is they do scare the shit out of me. So safety paramount. Will aim my build around the .25+ mark as I have a couple of different batteries I want to put thru it.

I've bought one (d'oh thought I had ordered 2 but seems not...) VTC5A as from what I've gathered it seems to be one of the safer batteries around but also have a few 25r's that I might have to swap out here and there while my lonely Sony is on charge... Until she gets a couple of friends that is

Any ideas guys? Sorry for such a long post but baby steps all the way with this Betsie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

Your fused clapton may ramp up too slow. Better with single strand for mech. Dual or parallel coil if you want

3. Aussie

Aussie Senior Member

Don't be scared but be cautious.
    The VTC5a is a good 35 amp battery so you made a good choice.
    I think the 25r's are rated at 22 amps so a build at. 25 will draw 16.8 A on a fully charged battery so as long as you don't go below that you will be safe.
    I've been using mech mods for a long time and never had any problems just keep checking for shorts and you'll be fine.
    Hope you enjoy squonking as much as I do.

Noe and mattythornton like this.
  4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

If it is your first build on any RBA, I'd aim for around 0.5 ohm (dual or single coil) just so you can get used to it at a safer ohm rating first, then next week you can try something a bit lower ;)

One thing I think you need to do, before putting any build on a mech is check the build's ohms on an ohm checker & make sure there are no shorts before you put it on your mech.
    If you don't have an ohm checker then at least pop it on a regulated mod to check for shorts first & set it to very low wattage when checking.

5. mattythornton

mattythornton New Member

Been building coils for a while now but my dual coil go to is 316l fused claptons that hit around the .18 mark so lower than I'm comfortable with here. Just wanted to see what some other people were running on similar batteries to get some ideas.

Thinking I'll prob go for dual 24g Kanthal twisted or parallel in the athena and put a single ni80 fused clapton in the dead rabbit. Think they will both come in around the .25 - .3 mark and both should be safe on either battery. But yeah I build on ohm meter and will check on another mod before I fire anything.

Cheers

Noe likes this.
  6. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

you will probably find it underpowered for those builds IMO

try it, but if it doesn't hit right, then try thinner, single strand wire. Not clapton nor twisted, just straight wire in 26 or 28 gauge, it is where single cell mechs shine

mattythornton likes this.
  7. mattythornton

mattythornton New Member

See this is why I ask. More to think about. Cheers hombre

DogMan likes this.
  8. Aussie

Aussie Senior Member

Totally agree with DM. You would be disappointed with the long ramp up.

When you find the right build you wont want to put it down. Be prepared to experiment and you'll find your sweet spot. Enjoy and have fun :sillygrin:

DogMan likes this.
  9. mattythornton

mattythornton New Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Righteo- I'm done playing for the night. Put a few different builds thru both attys. Leaving to for now with just straight 26g 9 wrap Dual on the Athena RTA (3mm ID - meh- tried a couple different ideas on it but I usually need time to learn to build on a new RDA anyways. Can't just look at it ypet and figure what will work best.

Tried a slightly larger single coil Ni80 fused claptons in the dead rabbit at first but I think running a single straight down the guts puts it too far away the airflow. Went dual spaced and it pumps pretty good

Oh- quick one- my coilmaster ohm reader seems to be reading around 0.10 above both of my mods (both running Arctic Fox firmware). And ideas? Cheers

DogMan likes this.