Flavorah's New Flavours

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by Charles Vaper, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I had a bit of a go at Native Tobacco last night and I'm not too sure about it.
    Perhaps a 2 week steep isn't enough?

Vapeable but not one I'd pick as a favourite. The taste reminds me of something that I can't quite put my finger on but it isn't tobacco.
    Perhaps also a bit weak at 2.5%?

I'll give it a bit longer before I pass judgment.

The entire household have a bug at the moment so that could have a bearing on my opinions.
    Also admittably I was also under the influence last night but I've found that much like smoking vaping is more enjoyable with a light refreshment or two.

We'll see.

2. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Native Tobacco by Flavorah has been a strange experience for me.

One minute I've thought it's nice but the next I've thought it's not.

I've settled on it's vapeable on its own and has some possibilities but not an adv.

I think I get an interpretation of what a cigar type vape should taste like but that is nothing like my memory of what a cigar did taste like. I never smoked cigars as the norm but have certainly had some in days gone by.
    It has no real resemblance to tobacco on the whole to me but a slight taste as such. I do get what I think has been described as a honey/sweet taste.

I appreciate that is all extremely confusing and basically useless to anybody thinking of trying the concentrate.

To sum up my thoughts on this one it's not a tobacco in my eyes at 2.5% but could possibly change with a higher percentage.? My personal thoughts at this stage is that Inawera tobaccos hold a lot more enticement perhaps due to the 'ashy' taste that I've experienced to date.

Sorry Charles I really wanted to like this one but have found it lacking in the departments that I enjoy as a standalone anyway.

I'm thinking it will become useful in a mix along the journey but it will require some thought.

Again sorry Charles but I have to be honest.

3. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Don't be sorry, Gasman! Just not working for you and that's fine. If there's one thing I've learnt about tobaccos, at least for my tastes, it's blending generally offers a more enjoyable mix and one can spend months testing varying percentages of 2, 3, 4 or more flavours to get that perfect ADV. Native, whilst I wouldn't vape it solo, can add some real depth to a mix, being earthy with some spice it's really suited to a more robust mix, however, adding even 0.25% can bring some nice results.

One can get both good and bad results from even the best concentrates but it always comes down to preference. One day you may discover a recipe that calls out for a dash of Native, or perhaps a buddy may enjoy it more.

DIY is practice and experimenting. It never ends though.

Gasman likes this.
  4. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

That's where I think I'm going to go with it. I'll add it to some mixes as time progresses. I've just had another go at Native and it does seem to grow on me so it definitely wasn't a wasted purchase.
    I always try a new concentrate as a standalone at the recommended percentage from various reviews. Some will say more or less from others but I have worked out an average starting point for different manufacturers... I think!
    I feel this gives me an idea of what to expect if I don't think it able to be used on its own.

I've just built a different atty and popped in the bourbon to give it a go.
    I'll give it a while before I get into it as I want to give it some attention.

Charles Vaper likes this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I'm enjoying the Bourbon a lot which considering the fact that I don't actually drink the stuff is a little surprising.

I bought it thinking it could be a decent mixer for custards and tobaccos but reckon it works very well in its own right.

Personally I get a slight alcohol taste on the exhale and a nice spicy taste on the inhale.

As part of a recipe I believe it will shine.

margyb and Pippi like this.
  6. Charles Vaper

The Bourbon offers a nice oak char and goes very well with other more straight Bourbons and makes an excellent additive for tobaccos, even certain dessert vapes. Happy new year to ya Gasman :wine:

Gasman likes this.
  7. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Happy New Year to you too Charles.

I've vaped about 5ml of the Kentucky Blend and found it very good.
    My impression is it's similar to Native Tobacco but perhaps has a bit more bite ( or spicy taste) to it and I also believe it delivers a better throat hit.

Personally I prefer the Inawera tobaccos that I've tried to date but am certainly enjoying these enough to warrant the purchase.

I can envisage them being used very effectively in mixes as well.

8. Charles Vaper

Inawera makes wonderful tobaccos but like all flavours, personal preference comes into play and I guess I've just had more success with Flavorah. Doesn't mean they're better though. I'm glad you find them useful and who knows, maybe down the road you'll discover an ADV using both FLV and Inawera.

Ahhh, creating and mixing...it's a sickness but so much fun!

9. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

You summarised it perfectly especially the sickness bit.

I've actually been wondering if the sickness finally took hold of Rupert and he's been carted off to the asylum for incurable crazy chemists.

10. Charles Vaper

Whilst I could think of far worse obsessions or certified illnesses, I too trust that Rupert hasn't been dragged away and placed into one of those rubber rooms. Off swimming for the day, too bloody hot in the house, even for mixing! Have a good one mate..

Gasman likes this.
  11. Charles Vaper

I thought I'd point out that the Smoked Butterscotch is marvellous! There's a yummy butterscotch, creamy, sugary but the smoked layer offers a wonderful blend. It's a sweet woody smoke. It's terrific in tobaccos and various desserts, coffee too. An excellent flavour from FLV. Try it from 0.75-1.5%. One of the better ones from this batch.

(I'm currently building a new Flavour section/category for the site and will have it up by the end of the month. It will eventually cover many, many single concentrated flavours, uses, percentages and some flavour notes.)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Gasman likes this.
  12. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Good to know Charles, thanks.

I'm looking forward to your Flavorah category/spreadsheet/opinions.

13. Charles Vaper

May be a while to complete as it's so much work! I've been retesting all my flavours lately (around 190 now) and updating tasting notes but the reality is many folks taste entirely different things, at times I wonder if it's all worth it. However, I am doing it!

BTW, I rediscovered Inawera cavendish and loving it! Going nuts with it trying a bunch of FLV additives like Oak barrel, Bourbon and pucker. Heck, this never ends!
    On a side note, I'm slowly transferring all my concentrates to 10 ml glass dropper bottles as I've noticed a few that are 10 months old (in original bottles) that the profiles have changed a bit. Just another duty to keep me off the streets :)

Gasman likes this.
  14. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I've arrived at the conclusion that the opinions of others are really only an indication and in reality it's still a bit of a gamble if you buy a concentrate,juice or doubler.

But I've found myself enjoying the experimentation and have found very few that don't hold possibilities.

However Inawera cavendish is one of my favourites and can definitely hold its head up high (in my opinion!).

Personally I'll honestly look forward to your opinions as my modus operandi is to research a flavour when I see it and now only trust forums and the like.

Your opinion will likely be different to mine but in regards to vaping and especially concentrates etc it's not surprising really.

At the end of the day we're all different people with different tastes and ideas.

Honestly though Charles your opinions are ones that I respect.

P.S... Did I say opinion enough?

15. Charles Vaper

Thanks for the kind words, Gasman.
    I too have found very few that can be used for something. In reality, most concentrates are best as blenders or additives/enhancers, and as such, many don't realise that they're not really suitable as a stand-alone vape. Perhaps I should say they tend to work best when blended with other flavours.

Yes, the experimenting, creating process is fun, albeit I tend to spend a high percentage of my pocket money on DIY. But that's okay, for me it's my hobby and moreover a passion.

I'd be interested to know what if any, other cavendish flavours you like?

16. emu

emu Senior Member

Aussie ecigs sent me a free RTV sample of their U4EA Peanut with my last order which is totally disgusting as a stand alone, haven't tried mixing it yet because of the phycological damage it done but maybe there's a place for it somewhere.

17. Charles Vaper

I'm aware of those concentrates but haven't tried their peanut. Almost all nuts are nice to blend with tobaccos and great with a granolas, oats, fruits and various bakery vapes. It's an additive so play around with it, I'm certain you will find a use for it.

emu likes this.
  18. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Can't think off the top of my head but from memory they've been flavours with cavendish mentioned as a component rather than the total description.
    I'll have to have a look at my notes and I'll get back to you.

19. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I remember trying Vapoureyes evening tobacco and having a similar thought.
    I managed to combine it with others until I eventually used it up but it was always there in the background even in minuscule amounts.

I should have just ditched it but I wanted to see if I could create something and I couldn't.

Sorry Vapoureyes but that one wasn't for me.

emu likes this.