Geekvape Avocado RTA

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Stomp, Feb 11, 2016.

1. emu

emu Banned

I disagree, You can achieve better flavor with one coil, there are a lot more factors at play than just the amount of coils on a deck.
    Every vapor with a few years experience knows the secret to flavor production so there's no need for me to spell it out, took me a long time to work it out. I'm not saying what the secret is cause then it wouldn't be a secret.
    Tricks of the trade belong to the trickster :nod:

2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I'm going to disagree & I've been vaping for 5.5 years, so I know all the "secrets" & tricks.
    If you have a deck that is capable of single or dual coils, you can prove it to yourself by trying 2 of the same type of build, with both single & dual set ups.
    If you don't get your dual build just right though, then yes it is possible that the single coil will produce better flavor.

trumpy955 likes this.
  3. emu

emu Banned

I rest my case :nod:

4. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

I know what you mean and agree. I went single on 22 as easier to fill. Otherwise need syringe n needle. Went dual on 24 because got dry hits originally on single. Might try single again on 24 as improved with wicking tech.
    Also use 22 on P3 sometimes. Looks cool on tube mod but keep above .7ohms
    Ah the choices.

Noe likes this.
  5. Noe

Taking part of a sentence out of context, does not prove your case.
    Dual coils produce better flavor when set up properly.

trumpy955 likes this.
  6. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Had a fiddle with the avo 22 today. Still set up to run on P3 so ohms highish.
    But have managed dual vertical coils, on the same side using the block on the other side.
    28g 6 wraps longish legs at 3.5mm, straight over the wick holes. I passed the cotton through the coils into the tank. Came in at .89 ohms.
    Not any more "vapy" but the flavour is enhanced considerably.
    No dry hits. Cotton trimmed flush at the top.
    Liking it alot. Airflow obviously not straight over the coils, a bit whistly, but closing down a fraction helps.

sirfoxey and KayP like this.
  7. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Interesting, and something I had thought about, but not bothered doing yet.
    You're taking it back to its Genny roots ;)

KayP likes this.
  8. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Interesting. I'll have to give it a go. Any pics Posterboy?

Sent via Tapatalk, using my 404 Error. Not found.

9. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

I have no idea how to post pics here. Why cant you just drop in a file from your phone?

10. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

It has to be hosted somewhere.
    Instagram or Imgur or one of those sites.

Apparently there is a Facebook trick where you can message it to yourself and then copy and paste.

11. KayP

KayP Senior Member

It's okay if you can't. I'll have a go regardless. Thanks.

12. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

I'm extremely cautious about net traffic. I refuse to use instagram, facebook etc.

13. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

rupert likes this.
  14. Stomp

Stomp Pirate

Mine finally met its maker on the kitchen tiles. Finding the box with the spare tank is the next trick.

Posterboy and KayP like this.
  15. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Thanks. Looks good. It'll be a while but I'll definitely try it out, and maybe with claptons. I really enjoyed the vape off my Avo 22 when I had it running in single mode, but right now I have my Avo 22 and 24 sporting similar alien dual builds. Whilst it is enjoyable, I have to admit I'm not enjoying it as much as my previous single coil build.

Posterboy likes this.
  16. Noe

Looks like the coil on the right is either heating up faster than the coil on the left or getting less airflow than the one on the left. I suspect it's the former & the reason for this is a disparity in ohms, which is something I dislike about dual coils, getting the ohms exactly the same on each coil is a pain but needed to get the same performance out of each coil.

rupert likes this.
  17. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Yes I had noticed that. Will have get myself a better ohm reader. Problem is on installation of second coil gives you both values.
    Is there a way of isolating coil values insitu.? This setup has problems with leg lengths as well. You can see the bottom legs in the photo.

18. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

As they are running in parallel there is no way of isolating each coil once installed (not that I know of anyways).

You'll need to get them glowing at the same rate before wicking ;) its why contact coils are easier than spaced IMO.

19. Noe

What @rupert said is correct, it is easier to get dual contact coils firing equally than dual spaced coils but both types can be made to fire equally.
    You need to glow your coils & watch carefully to ensure they are lighting up in unison at the same rate of glow & intensity, that is when you know they are right.
    Once you have glowed your coils & got them firing together, cooling them with a few drops of juice is a good idea, it speeds up the cooling process so you can wick them sooner without burning fingers.

Also you can put the first coil in measure the ohm, divide that by 2 & that is the reading you should get when you have both coils installed, an ohm meter than reads to 2 decimal places is best for this or one that reads to 3 decimals is even better. The lower your build, the more important 0.01 of an ohm becomes.

rupert likes this.
  20. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

In this instance both coils are on the same side of the base.
    What if both coils were wound from the same piece of wire, with a straight bridge between.
    You could adjust the spacing by veeing the bridge ie stretching / shrinking it. But current should be constant.