1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

GeekVape Zeus RTA

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Noe, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Not available yet & no real reviews of it but this tank has me excited.
    It is near exact to the design I have been hoping to see in a rebuildable tank, the only 2 things on it that possibly could be different is:
    1. It is a single coil deck only & that a dual coil deck of the same design is what I had in mind.
    2. It has some strange side & bottom airflow design, not sure that the side airflow holes are needed as complete bottom airflow probably would have achieved the same or better results, however without testing it I can't say for certain. The airflow is all integrated, coming from the same source, perhaps they added the side airflow holes to allow for more air to be drawn in, I can't see how they would improve flavor. When I get mine (I will be getting this one) I'll experiment by blocking the side airflow holes to see if it makes any difference.

@Gasman, I know you love single coil tanks so this one should be on your radar I believe ;)
    Leakproof design, single coil, top to bottom to top adjustable airflow, top filling, includes both a 510 & 810 Drip Tip, 4 color choices (which you can see in the pic below), build deck that allows for big or small coils, 25mm diameter, with 4ml capacity or a TPD version with 2ml capacity (personally I'll be after the 4ml version).
    This really looks the goods, I hate to say it but I think my OBS Engine RTAs will be put out to pasture after I get this tank, the only downside I see for me is there is no Gold version planned (yet), guess the black & gunmetal will have to suffice.

[​IMG]

Not a review but obviously they have released samples to some vendors/reviewers, as I found this on youtube of the real tank being built, which only got me more interested:

MetalOz, Rayjay and Gasman like this.
  2. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Certainly does look interesting.

Looking forward to some more reviews coming out.

Noe likes this.
  3. Noe

I don't need to see reviews to know this is going to be a flavor beast, if I'm right(I'm rarely wrong in my predictions), without even having tried it, it's going to produce flavor as good as any RDA, possibly only after blocking off the side airflow holes though.
    This is the design I have had in mind for over 12mths, that I thought is what would be perfect for an RTA for the best possible flavor & airflow (side airflow holes not counted).
    The side airflow should be fairly simple & safe to block off, a toothpick or two will probably get the job done ;)

Edit: Looking at the build video again, I am fairly confident I could fit a single clapception coil (round wire core - the largest type) in there with a 4mm inner dia., clapception are huge coils & deliver exceptional flavor, better than Fused Claptons, combine that with this tank & it's likely to be the best flavor you'll get of any device I think.

MetalOz, Rayjay and Gasman like this.
  4. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Very interesting @Noe, however I do not think I would be tempted with this one as I am not fond of single coil builds and the other thing that turns me off is the small tank volume capacity. I take this opportunity to thank you for introducing me to clapception coils I really enjoy these as much as I enjoy the juggernaughts.

Noe likes this.
  5. Posterboy

Posterboy Senior Member

Looks really good and I prefer single coils. I don't get 25mm though. It's an odd size given many mods are designed around 24 and that's what most manufacturers do. Overhang is ugly.

Noe likes this.
  6. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

This looks like it will be an amazing tank. I've got the Ammit 25 which is a single coil RTA with the 3D airflow which has great flavour. This one looks like it's a postless design with the 3D side airflow running both vertical and horizontal instead of only horizontal like the Ammit. It still lacks tje conical top like the Ammit but I doubt that will affect the flavour. I love that it comes with both the 810 and 510 Drip tips, but wish it came with the seperate top pieces instead of just a 510 adaptor. That was a huge plus on the Ammit 25 for me.
    I'll defintely be grabbing one of these when they're available, and also wish it came in the gold t match my mods. Black or silver will do suffice though.
    I'd have liked to see this Zeus tank with the option of restricting or closing the side airflows off.

Noe likes this.
  7. Noe

Actually 24mm is the "odd" size.
    Go back a few years & 22mm rebuildables were pretty much all you saw, maybe some 30mm pieces too. Then along came 25mm RBAs with mods to match like the Wismec RX200 as one example but there are many other examples too, then 24mm RBAs were introduced & now we even have 23mm RBAs.
    However more mods are made with 25mm RBAs in mind than those that are not, certainly any I have recently purchased & used are, some of my old mods were designed for 22mm atties & even if a mod is made to be used with 24mm atties "flush" if it has a silicone cover or something, then that 0.5mm of overhang will have it sitting flush with 25mm atties.

Posterboy likes this.
  8. Noe

I think it would be possible to fit a stacked dual coil build (or maybe a side by side build with smaller dia coils) into this tank but not with larger coils like the Clapceptions, possibly doable with Fused Claptons though or maybe the flatter Clapceptions too.
    However I don't really see this as a design flaw, it is what it is & I doubt you'd get much more benefit using a stacked dual build, I agree a proper dual coil deck option would have been nice.
    I still think this tank will produce plenty of clouds & massive flavor, even with a single coil build & I think it will produce as much fog as the OBS Engine or UD Bellus V2 (which are both dual coil decks) that I'm using presently but likely produce better flavor due to the airflow coming from the bottom. I have always liked top to bottom to top airflow design, it makes for leak free tanks, that produce great flavor, I'm not sure what to think of the added side airflow on this one though but I know how to use toothpicks if I need to on it ;)

I can use one or two less wraps on a Clapception to get the resistance to where I like it, if I need to on this tank & get all the benefits of the airflow system, without using a dual coil build (which honestly makes rebuilding easier, single coil = less messing about when glowing/matching) & if I'm right then this tank is going to surpass what I'm currently using & make for easier builds.

Rayjay likes this.
  9. Noe

I didn't get the Ammit but I have the Ijoy eXo, which has a very similar deck design in single coil mode. I prefer the other tanks I use over it but I've seen reviews that say the eXo is a little better than the Ammit, so I think you'll be very happy with the Zeus when you get one.

Honestly this design is something I have wanted to see for a very long time, I would have preferred a dual coil deck option but I don't think it will be too hard for GeekVape to introduce one as an after market option. I'm sure that other manufacturers will be taking note of this design now & looking to implement similar tanks, so no doubt we will see more like it, my guess is Ijoy will have their own twist on this tank up & ready quite quickly, as they seem to borrow from other designs quite a lot.

I'm thinking maybe I'll grab the Gunmetal for something different, which won't look bad sitting on a black mod, adding a bit of contrast & of course a Black version which I'll definitely get first.

MetalOz and Rayjay like this.
  10. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

The Exo is like a hybrid of the Merlin Mini and the Ammit. I have the Merlin Mini which has great flavour, very comparable to the Ammit. I've found that the coil ID IS the key for good flavour on the Ammit. I tend to build 3-3.5mm for it (samebuilds I use for the OBS Nano.

I'm sure others will definitely use the design of the Zeus for their tanks, as the side and bottom airflow seems to work reall well for flavour. I love the top airflow of the Zeus,hopefully it doesn't whistle. The Ammit is bottom airflow but I haven't had any l3aking issues except when I didn't wick it properly.
    I also love the slightly raised deck similar to the OBS Engine, that will definitely help with wicking.
    I'm already loving this tank and it's not released until later this month :sillygrin:

Rayjay and Noe like this.
  11. Noe

Found a real image of the deck(s), it is going to be possible to fit a really beefy coil into that or even side by side 2.5mm inner dia dual coils (possibly Fused Clapton or if not 2mm inner dia should fit for these).
    A 4mm inner dia. Clapception is what I will be aiming to install, this should make it around 0.5 - 0.6 ohm which will mean I can use less wattage than I currently do to get the power required to fire that coil & get longer run times out of my batts :D

[​IMG]

I still think at minimum the top row of side airflow holes need to be blocked off. To my eye, these are not going to hit the coil at all & will dilute flavor, possibly the middle row too, the bottom row I think is worth keeping open.

Rayjay and MetalOz like this.
  12. Noe

Here's a real pic of the top fill method. Rather than a threaded, screw on top cap, it looks like it will be a "keyed" press & turn type fitting , with 2 tabs on the top cap that slot into a groove. This type of fitting should be better than a screw on top cap (which the Bellus V2 employs), which will usually put pressure into a tank, the Zeus shouldn't add much pressure inside the tank when refilling :clap:

[​IMG]

13. Noe

Over 2 weeks since news of this RTA coming to market surfaced & still no reviews :(
    Not that a review is going to influence me, I already have one on pre-order :wine:

Rayjay likes this.
  14. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Waiting with anticipation of your review on this one @Noe. Hope you get yours soon.

Noe likes this.
  15. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Found this Noe.

Hope it's linked as its a bit early for my computer wizardry skills.

Noe likes this.
  16. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

Here is another Quick look

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  17. Noe

Yeah, still not a proper review though & not really showing us anything we haven't already seen about the Zeus RTA.

Won't have it probably until Early November, just depends on if there are delays in production/stocks.

Gasman and Rayjay like this.
  18. Noe

The release date for the Zeus was supposed to be the 20th of Oct but from what I have read the release date has been pushed back to the 31st.
    So I am still waiting on my pre-order to ship.

Also still no full review has been posted on youtube, in English, there are what appear to be full youtube reviews in other languages - German & Polish I think but I don't speak either:

19. Noe

Ok so some decent reviewers have published reviews finally, I've watched 3 of them & I can honestly say I am now more excited about this tank than I was before!

One of the comments I heard in these videos, says he "prefers dual coil tanks & that the OBS Engine is slightly better". So like me he loves the Engine but in none of these reviews did I see any of them try to close of the side airflow (which I will be doing after trying it stock first) & to me that is where a lot of flavor loss is potentially going to be coming from especially the two top rows of side airflow. So I think the Zeus can potentially gain more flavor than these reviewers experienced & if so then it could potentially beat the Engine.

Vaping with Vic, said this tank literally drinks juice, he said for a single coil tank this is the most thirsty tank he has seen, so this gives me a clue that it can rival dual coil tanks but do so with less heat, which would be a very good thing for some if not most vapers.
    Anyway here's the links to the videos I watched, the third compares the Zeus to another soon to be released tank the Pharoh Mini, which may appeal more to some people because it is a 24mm tank but I think the Zeus is better after watching that video.

Mike vapes is the shorted review if you are looking for a quick one to watch:

Vaping with Vic's is 3 times longer than Mike Vape's review & he does waffle on a bit:

Finally Heathen's comparative review, about as long as Vaping with Vic's but he is reviewing 2 tanks here:

20. Noe

Another thing I forgot to mention about these reviews is the way each of them has wicked the deck.
    Every reviewer I have watched has wicked this deck differently with cotton, Vic goes into his wicking method in more detail in his review but then towards the end of his review he says he rewicked it, after filming that portion of the review, a different way, which helped the tank produce even better flavor.
    Personally I am not a fan of "fluffing" wicks, although I will probably try doing that on this tank after the comments Vic made.
    However I don't like the way he wicked the deck when he was filming, it seemed to me to be inviting flavor loss, all the ends of your wick ideally need to be pointed downward into the wicking channel & his weren't.

Of the 3 English video reviews I've posted, I think Mike Vapes is closest to the method I'll try first, however I don't think he quite got it right either. Mike cut his wicks too short IMO, in my mind, before even seeing these reviews, it made sense to have the wicks sitting mid way between the base & the bottom of the deck.
    There is a fair sized gap that goes around the deck that acts as a juice reservoir & I think the ends of your wick need to be sitting in the juice there but not resting on the base, so they can freely absorb juice until almost every drop of juice is emptied from the tank.
    Over fluffing (or raking) of the wick ends has the potential to allow the deck to flood, I think (after hearing Vic's comments) that some fluffing may help with flavor production but I think i will limit this to the last 5-6mm of wick to allow the deck to seal at the top of the wick channels on the wicks.

I am really looking forward to getting to have a play with this tank & find out it's true potential, while the reviews of it were good, I think it can be even better than those reviewers reported.

MetalOz likes this.