GeekVape Zeus RTA

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Noe, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I actually find it quite amazing how many different reviewers build and wick different attys different ways.

Did I say different enough?

I also find that the slightest difference can lead to a completely different experience, good or bad.

I think I might be overusing different and should insert alternative but I'm hoping I've made my point.

Noe likes this.
  2. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

A very interesting tank @Noe, looking forward to your reviews. Although I am not a fan of single coil builds and love my VGOD Pro RDTA, which even excels the flavor and clouds of the OBS I am certainly interested in this one.

Noe likes this.
  3. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

A few things put me off getting the VGod Pro, mainly not having AFC as I like a more restricted draw than what it appears to offer.
    It does look like a good tank if you like a more open draw though.

The Zeus should be able to accommodate dual coils, it may be a tight fit to get them in but from what I've seen it looks possible, stacked one atop the other, with one pushed slightly left & one pushed slightly right I think would work at least.
    I like the simplicity of a single coil tank, it means less fiddling around getting both coils to fire in unison, so makes for a faster build & if the Zeus is as good a design as I think it will be, then it's going to rival dual coil tanks.

That's a different perspective mate, the difference in a build does give a different experience though.
    I have tried many different builds over the years & finding the right combination to suit a particular tank can mean having a few attempts but there are some things that work nearly universally, such as Fused Clapton coils for better flavor. These give a flavor boost over claptons, which give a boost over straight wire coils & Clapception coils eclipse them all if the deck is able to fit them in.

I plan to use a clapception in the Zeus, because to me it looks like it will easily fit in that deck & I will stretch the inner diameter of the coil too if possible.

Gasman likes this.
  4. Noe

My pre-order for the Black Zeus RTA was showing an ETA of 2 days time. So here's me thinking, "Hmm you know what would be good, having 2 so that I could compare one with side airflow blocked off to one as it comes."
    Thus of course, I caved & pre-ordered another... this time though I went for the Gunmetal color, so that I will be able to easily distinguish between them & because I kind of like both color ways.

Now though, the order is not showing a 2 day ETA, it's just showing "pre-order", so it may be delayed even further :(
    I'm sure I'll have them for before xmas, just not sure how soon before xmas :(

5. Noe

Well it's been over 3 weeks since the original ETA for the ZEUS & I'm still waiting for my pre-order to ship :(
    Delays weren't totally unexpected but I wish manufacturers/suppliers would give a more realistic time frame for new products!

I won't be cancelling my order, I still really want to get this RTA & test it out but I am glad I am not a new vaper that may have been waiting to get this new tank. I can see where they may have been relying on having this ship "on time" & possibly be in a worse situation than myself, I have plenty of good RTAs to keep me occupied.

6. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Probably too late now but I just noticed this over at Victory Vape.

[​IMG]

I'm guessing you're likely to already be aware but it's an option depending on your desperation.

Noe and MetalOz like this.
  7. Noe

Hmm about $10 more than I paid for mine including shipping, then I'd have to add shipping cost to their $44 price. Not bad for an Au vendor, they have to survive too & if someone wanted it quickly it might be worth paying the extra.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Gasman and Rayjay like this.
  8. Noe

Just got this in my Email:

[​IMG]
    Order Shipped

Shipped via Australia Express ePacket.
    *tracking results may not be displayed until 24 to 48 hours later

Noe
    Order #XXXXXXXXX - package 1
    Shipped 11/15/2017

1. 9054306 Authentic GeekVape Zeus RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer 4ml / stainless steel / 25mm diameter 1

This is for the Black one I ordered first, the Gunmetal one I added later is still waiting to be shipped, I think this is probably due to it's popularity & FT's "first in, first served" policy, I did kind of expect that might happen.
    So I'll be waiting for another shipping notice, until FT gets another shipment in from GeekVape & can ship the other one.
    Still, I'll have one to play with within a fortnight & probably a 2nd one a week later! :party::party::party:

Gasman likes this.
  9. Rayjay

Rayjay Senior Member

One of my favourite Au Vendors. Never had an issue with these peeps. Love the ZipPay option. Can talk to them on Ph. Which is a big + imho if I have a problem.

Sent from Taptalk. Vape On & be happy. Live & Let Live Blessed Be!

MetalOz and Gasman like this.
  10. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I had the pleasure of meeting them in Daylesford (amongst others) and can honestly say they are genuinely nice people.
    They worked tirelessly that day (again amongst others) and would have sold some stock I know but they deserved every cent that they may have earned.

MetalOz and Rayjay like this.
  11. Noe

Just checked my account/unshipped orders.
    My GunMetal color ZEUS is marked as "Ready to Ship" :banana:, this means it will likely be marked as shipped by the end of the day :party:
    So I will only be waiting a few days after my Black ZEUS arrives until the GunMetal arrives, which is kind of perfect timing for experimenting with the airflow anyway :thumbup::cancan:

MetalOz likes this.
  12. Noe

As predicted :party:

[​IMG]
    Order Shipped

Shipped via Australia Express ePacket.
    *tracking results may not be displayed until 24 to 48 hours later

Noe
    Order #XXXXXXXXXX - package 2
    Shipped 11/17/2017

:w00t::party::clap::cancan::clap2::cancan::clap::party::w00t:

13. Noe

Finally, they both arrived yesterday, after AusPost tracking only informed me that the one from it's Greenacre NSW depot was due to be delivered yesterday, the other one which had been sent to the Granville NSW depot for transport to WA had no notification of it arriving in WA until I checked the mail box & was pleasantly surprised to find both parcels.

I'll post some pics later in the day, for now though, I have managed to build a coil on the Black one. A single 5 wrap, 3.5mm inner diameter (this was very tricky to fit, more below) Clapception coil now rests in the deck.
    Fitting the coil in wasn't too much trouble but the diameter of the Clapception wire (round wire Clapception not the flat wire version) in itself is quite large, these coils come pre-made with a 3mm inner dia. & 4 wraps, to make it a 5 wrap with a 3.5mm inner dia. meant having to re-work the coil to my own specification by using up the leg lengths of the coil. This also increased the ohms from it's nominal 0.75 ohm to 0.89 ohm, now I know this sounds like a fairly tame build, at 0.9 ohm even MTL vapers could be using such a coil, however that is far from the case. Because of the added wire/metal on the coil, compared to a regular straight wire coil of 0.9 ohm (or even a clapton coil for that matter), the Clapception required more wattage to power it due to ramp up, so I am using the exact same wattage as I was using on my dual coil 0.4 ohm fused clapton build in my OBS Engine.

So needless to say there was quite a bit of rewrapping going on, as I first tried to make a 4mm inner dia coil & then realised I was going to run out of head room for the barrel, without causing a short. The 3.5mm worked better & I thought I had it right but then I did cause a short when fitting the barrel, I only had about 1/2 a mm between the coil & the deck at that point but I tested how much the coil needed to drop by unscrewing the tank partly, a 1/4 turn at a time until it stopped reading a short. Then I tested by pressing down on the top of the tank & screwing some more until the short ceased happening. Measuring the gap between the base & the tank where the threads were exposed I saw it was about 0.2mm gap, so I know it was going to be a very tight fit but it could be done with some wrangling.
    Eventually after much cursing, untightening/retightening screws, shaping the coil a little more & careful manipulation I got it to fit in there without any shorts but there is only about a 0.2mm gap between the deck & the coil & the same for the barrel & the top of the coil.
    So my recommendation is, if you don't have a lot of patience, do not try to fit a round wire Clapception coil into the Zeus( a flat wire Clapception should be easier to fit), unless you plan on using it as a 3mm inner dia. coil (which will cause another problem).

So there I am thinking what a great job I did fitting the coil in without any shorts, eventually, got it wicked up, then I proceed to fill the tank & forgot one of my fundamentals - use a small test fill first time...
    Thankfully, the Zeus is "leak proof", at least it always will be when left upright, because I filled the tank completely & when I replaced the top cap 1/2 the tank disappeared into the barrel, flooding the deck!
    This might sound like a big issue but really it isn't, the wick channels on the Zeus are huge, probably much bigger than actually required & for that reason you really do need a 3.5mm or even better a 4mm inner diameter coil, so that you can use enough wick to fill those wick channels. I had used enough wick for the OBS Engine's wick channels with 3.5mm inner dia coils but this wasn't enough wick for the Zeus,
    To solve this I cut a 3mm length of the same width of wick as was in the coil & then cut that width in half, giving me 2x 3mm long pieces to fit in behind the main wick in the wick channels, so far this seems to be working a treat & the deck hasn't flooded again.

As far as looks go, I like the look of the Zeus a little better than the look of the Engine, it has rounder corners & a slightly domed shape to it, where the Engine has sharper edges (though not sharp enough to cut fingers) & a flat, step-like appearance. I'm using the 810-510 adapter included with the Zeus but using my own 510 DT, which is identical to the 510 I have on the Engine. Both have adequate "grip grooves" where needed, both are 25mm RTAs the Zeus with identical DT to the Engine is 1mm taller (approx) but more aesthetically pleasing IMO. The main difference between them is the Engine is a dual coil RTA & the Zeus is a single coil RTA, I do think it would be possible to fit dual coils "stacked" into the Zeus with some faffing around but I really don't see what the benefit would be.
    Thus far I have only had a few puffs on the Zeus & am yet to "break -in" the wick or get a really good idea of how good the tank is but what I can say is that I think it will produce much better flavor than the Engine does, with a similar volume of clouds, using the same DT & the same wattage.

I'll update my findings soon & try to get some pics posted later in the day but already I am beginning to think this RTA IS the Engine killer & that is without playing with it's deck's side airflow holes(which may not even be necessary), I will have to re-wick my Engine though & give it a fairer chance for comparison.

Gasman, MetalOz and Rayjay like this.
  14. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

Great review of the Zeus mate. I picked one up the other day myself. The deck really does need large diameter coils. I found that wicking the coil too snug will lead to dry hits as well. I'm only using a standard Clapton 26/32 KA1 coil with a 3.5mm ID which ohms out at around 0.95. I run my wicks to just touch the bottom of the deck, but most reviewers seem to be cutting them shorter.
    So far, I think I'm getting better flavour from my OBS Nano, but it's early days and I haven't had the Zeus long enough to figure out the best build/wicking,

Gasman and Noe like this.
  15. Noe

I cut my wicks to sit just above the base plate but not be resting on it, I feel that the wick ends should be resting somewhere between the bottom of the deck & the base plate but not on the base plate or right at the base of the deck.
    Yes I was worried about dry hitting too, as we know with other RBAs if your wick is too tight in the coil you get dry hits potentially, so I actually think the way I described wicking mine & using a small piece of filler wick in the wick channel is probably the best idea. The filler wick simply allows the wick to make the right amount of pressure in the channel to prevent flooding, while the main wick is threaded though the coil the same way I have used for a long time & know won't give any dry hits.

I think (actually I know) the Clapception coils are better flavor coils than regular clapton or even fused clapton coils & the round wire Clapception is better at this than the flat wire versions, which is why I opted for that type of coil.
    The round wire Clapcetion could be used with 4 wraps just as easily as 5 wraps but you'd want to space your wraps a little I think, though the build is not worth trying if you do not have a lot of experience & patience!
    If you lack for either, don't bother with that build, instead I recommend to use a fused clapton with a 4mm inner dia & 5 wraps, which would fit in much more easily & still give very good flavor.

What do you think of the looks side by side with the Engine?
    I think the Zeus's shape is more pleasing & I like the fact that on the black one it is all black, unlike on the Engine if you aren't using the provided DT there is a SS finish beneath, which is visible when using my preferred DT.

Also an update on my wattage setting, I dropped the power by about 10%-12% (to 36W) because I was noticing flavor loss when chain vaping a little & the tell tale signs of the wick scorching, so far this setting seems to be working much more consistently.

MetalOz likes this.
  16. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I'm glad you've finally received them Noe.

Interested to read your updated findings.

Noe likes this.
  17. MetalOz

MetalOz Senior Member

I haven't tried the Clapception coils yet but have heard good things about them. I don't think I'd have the patience to rewind the coils. I do have a few rolls of SS Fused Clapton wire, so I will try that out with a 4mm ID next time I rebuild the Zeus.
    I've been lucky wicking the Zeus without using a cotton filler in the wicking slots and it's wicking nicely with a lot of bubbles but not flooding the deck. I fluffed the ends of the wicks slightly which I think helps (but I didn't thin the cotton ends much).
    I love the look of both the OBS and the Zeus. I like the fact that the nano has the silver with the black, and love the aesthetic look of it. But in saying that, I have the gun metal coloured Zeus and love the blasted finish on it. The deck on the nano is easier to build on, but both tanks benefit from wrapping coils anti clockwise.
    I've also noticed having the coil raised higher above the deck helps flavour, but it sounds like the clapceptions don't give you much room for play. I have my coil around 3mm above the bottom of the deck.
    I'm running the Zeus at 45watts at the moment with no dry hits, but if I crank it up any higher I can feel it on the verge of dry hitting.
    I wouldn't say it's a OBS killer, but so far I reckon it's easily on par. I'll be taking the Zeus to a wedding I'm off to on Sunday so it will get a good workout.

Noe likes this.
  18. Noe

I only have the dual coil Engine to compare it to (which by all accounts I read, of vapers that owned both versions, the dual coil Engine was better), so I can't quite compare it directly like you are able to.
    The main thing that I think is making a difference between our experiences is the coils used. The Engine (dual coil) can't fit clapception coils on the deck, so I used fused claptons, to give a fairer comparison I'd need to install a fused clapton on the Zeus but then I'd only be doing that for testing & comparison, as I always intended to use a clapception build on it from the moment I saw the Zeus's deck, even before I'd ordered it.
    If you have more room on the Engine Nano's deck, then you should be able to install a clapception build on that, stretching the ID of the coils to 3.5mm isn't all that difficult but you will lose about 1/2 wrap in the process, I lost more & had to re-wrap even more because I tried to make it a 4mm ID, then add an extra wrap(which wasn't going to fit anyway).

Here's the pics I promised, I didn't take pics of the wick but I did get a top view & side view of the coil I used.
    The Side view was taken before I finished wrangling the coil into its final resting position, before I tested for shorts but you can see just how little room there was between the deck & the coil & how precise I had to be to get it to fit in without shorting.

Black version unopened:
    [​IMG]

Gunmetal version unopened:
    [​IMG]

Coil top view:
    [​IMG]

Coil side view:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Gasman likes this.