1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

Good n00b RDA

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Bandsaw, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

Just wondering what would be a good RDA to start out on? Been thinking about it more and more lately so I thought I would ask the question. And would I NEED a new mod or could one go on my eVic Mini??

KayP likes this.
  2. DogMan

DogMan Butler

it'll go fine on the evic

are you new to rebuilding? or just dripping?

KayP likes this.
  3. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

New to it all bro. Probably won't be making my own coils, just get some pre-made ones to begin with.

KayP likes this.
  4. DogMan

DogMan Butler

oh

you'll want something with space then, the premade rda coils i've seen are all 3mm ID

Bandsaw likes this.
  5. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

I started with the Kangertech Subtask Mini - You can get a range of various coils for it as well as the RDA kit. This allows you to use the tank with the pre-made coils but also interchange with the RDA head with your own coils as you are learning.

http://www.kangeronline.com/products/kanger-subtank-mini-clearomizer-white

If you have a look in the approved vendors section on here, I am sure most of them would stock it. It is just one of many options which would be more than suitable for someone wanting to try their hand, but from personal experience this is the one I started on and worked my way up to more advanced RTA's and RDA's and would still consider myself a n00b.

Bandsaw likes this.
  6. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

Such as? Just looking for some advice on people's favourites etc

7. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

Cheers bud!

8. DogMan

DogMan Butler

look for dual posts, so velocity, thump, stumpy etc

i'd prefer you to understand what to look for, rather than saying buy xyz

9. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

Cool, thanks bud. That would probably be better, so basically I would want something with room and dual posts? It will probably be a while before I make a purchase, do a lot of research and I want to get some concentrates to make up some juice too.

KayP and DogMan like this.
  10. KayP

KayP Senior Member

For my first RDA I was going to get a Derringer clone from FT, but some good fellas led me to the Stumpy clone and so I bought that; however, I did not wait for it. My first RDA was a Velocity clone by Tobeco. IMO a perfect place to start as it's inexpensive ($20) and very easy to work with. Obviously it has a velocity deck and there's plenty of room to work in. Its up to you if you want to build your own coils or buy prewrapped ones. Later on I did get my stumpy and it's pretty good too.

I'm not too knowledgeable about MTL RDAs, but I do know there are some that have half of their chamber blocked off. These kind of RDAs would be a good place to start for MTL imo.

Sorry @emu . I wanted to make a proper review on the stumpy but I haven't had the time :( I'm still testing it and I can say for now that I get dense flavour and clouds on it, even on a 0.77 oHm build.

Bandsaw and emu like this.
  11. DogMan

DogMan Butler

if you are using premade coils, yeah

coils are easy to make, should you be inclined to look while researching

KayP and Bandsaw like this.
  12. emu

emu Banned

I forgive ya

KayP likes this.
  13. KayP

KayP Senior Member

@Gasman Yes, do the research. I'll let you know the Velocity clone is available locally. Last I saw it was at Victory Vape.

Bandsaw likes this.
  14. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

Oh I probably will research that too dude. When I get started researching, who knows where I'll stop lol

emu, KayP and DogMan like this.
  15. KayP

KayP Senior Member

The hardest and longest research I did, with respects to vaping, was when I was looking to quite cigarettes and for my first hardware and juice. It's been easy ever since. Luckily I have big lungs and just about no allergies, and so I was hard to disappoint. I must admit I outgrew my starter kit in 2 weeks LOL

Bandsaw, DogMan and emu like this.
  16. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

As did I lol

KayP likes this.
  17. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Take a look at the AEOLUS RDA clone, it's got plenty of room to build on, doesn't leak & has great flavor.

KayP and Bandsaw like this.
  18. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

I would personally suggest getting yourself one of the really simple coil jigs
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10010836/1926001-vaping-coil-winding-jig-tool-for-rebuildable
    and some wire and make your own rather than the pre-built ones. As for me it meant that I learnt a lot more of the art and skills need to give me a better enjoyable vape. It allowed me to trial various coil styles and options to suit my vape, it also allowed me to learn all about the in's and out's of what coil size matched the wick I needed to keep up with how I vaped. It also meant I learnt what coil and wicking I needed for me get better for flavour over what gave big clouds. This all allowed me to learn what I needed to know so I could match everything to my preferred style of vaping.

Don't get me wrong, your interest in the RDA path may not be the same as mine so, I am not saying don't start with pre-coiled coils, just that I am glad I started by coiling my own as it taught me a lot more, it also took me a long time and at least 1 roll of wire before I got a coil which I actually vaped on until it needed replacing due to wear and tear rather than me trashing it from it not being any good. Once I got my Kanger Subtank working with a simple single coil, I then moved onto a RDA which was another learning curve in itself for me, but without what I learnt with my Subtank I never would have persisted with an RDA

KayP, Bandsaw and DogMan like this.
  19. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Vapekids these days, so lazy huh? LOL

embee, Aqualung, emu and 3 others like this.
  20. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

Yeah, we're damn lazy lol.

emu, KayP, Noe and 1 other person like this.