1. Call to Action! Vapers, please submit your story to the Federal Inquiry into Ecigs by July 6th, and let's get nicotine legalised: Submit Here

For help with your submission please read This Guide

Dismiss Notice

Good n00b RDA

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomisers' started by Bandsaw, Mar 23, 2016.

1. KayP

KayP Senior Member

LOL

In my Kanger Subox Starter Kit I received two factory coil heads. I burnt them both on day 1 due to improper priming. I have building/wrapping my own coils ever since. Yesterday I received my first battery type device, a Moto Plus Starter Kit. It came with two factory coil heads. So I'm now three months into vaping and today I'm vaping on my first factory coil head ;p

Bandsaw, emu and DogMan like this.
  2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I remember back in the day, we had to make our own wire by raiding a farmer's fence & stealing a strand of barbed fencing wire, then we had to remove the barbs, straighten the wire, stretch the wire to get it to the correct diameter, anneal the wire to make it workable, spin it onto a spool to make it easier to work with, then we got to wind our own coils, around a rusty nail.

Ahhh the good old days...

:rofl:

Judith, KayP, Bandsaw and 2 others like this.
  3. DogMan

DogMan Butler

The good thing with rdavis good clones. Lots under $10 on ft. So order a bunch of different ones. Try small chamber, big chamber, different post configuration etc.

We can't tell you what you will like personally

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Aqualung and Noe like this.
  4. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

I thought you were gonna say that you had to dig up the ore and smelt it down and go through the whole process to get to the wire lol

Browny, Judith, Noe and 1 other person like this.
  5. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

I thought I had outgrown my vape box when I started DIY'ing my juice. After my last order today from FT. I have at least 3 different gauge's of Ti, Ni and Kanthal, combine that with various gauges of single, double and triple twisted, alien, juggernaut, tiger. My wire collection has outgrown the size of my box needed for my concentrates. I am just glad that cotton doesn't take up much space, as the japanese organic, pads, balls, and then the bags of bacon cotton I got when in the USA on top of ..... well you get the picture. I sort of see why the wife said that vaping may not be any cheaper than me smoking tobacco, just less smelly. :p
    Now that I have some samples of snuff coming, I am not sure where I will start storing that if I enjoy it.

Anyhow I digress, sorry Bandsaw. I standby the what I said, by all means if it is what works for you start with pre coiled coils, but making your own I think will take a longer initially but give you a far more enjoyable end result in your DIY journey. It did for me.

Browny, emu, KayP and 1 other person like this.
  6. KayP

KayP Senior Member

LOL

Bandsaw likes this.
  7. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

We only did that when the farmers started guarding their fences with shotguns ;)

Bandsaw and KayP like this.
  8. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Give the bloke some slack. I'm sure he just may get into coil building at some stage. Vaping is supposed to be fun to be after all.

Browny, Bandsaw, Noe and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bandsaw

Bandsaw Member

Damn farmers!! Didn't they know you had to vape?

emu, KayP and Noe like this.
  10. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Would have been less manual labour on your part, and no doubt more entertaining to have guarded your source of stolen wire with laying landmines once the farmers started with fences using shotguns

Noe, emu, KayP and 1 other person like this.
  11. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Nicotine was sold at bunnings until people started vaping it

Judith and emu like this.
  12. KayP

KayP Senior Member

If you could have afforded landmines, may as well spend that money on wire from the hardware shop. Oops did I just interrupt the insanity..

Edit: Insanity is too vulgar. How about craziness.

Noe, Aqualung, emu and 1 other person like this.
  13. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

Hay I am currently laying in a bed on a locked ward of a actual nut house, insanity is by no means unwarranted for my part of this :)

As for an RDA though, my first RDA which I actually had success with a consist builds was the Troll. I had a Tobecco Vortice as my first but could never get a build to work. I found the Troll more forgiving with my poorly built coils and wicking skills and then went back to the Vortice and had success. Since then my collection has increase with a COV Royal Hunter and my most recent RDA and favourite of all (which I have been wanting to find the time to write a detailed review on) is a Marquis clone. The Marquis strangely enough given it's design looks to be more for the advanced person, but I found it super easy given the posts they supply to use when mounting the coils. To slip either a pre made single or dual coil on the supplied posts, screw them down, wick it was completed in under 5 minutes from start to vaping on it.

Bandsaw, Noe, DogMan and 2 others like this.
  14. KayP

KayP Senior Member

5 minutes? I'm not that quick. I like to take my time. Sounds boring I know.

There's some good attys you have name dropped there. Over the past month I have received some RDAs; however, haven't had the opportunity to play with ém. Two of ém are the Freakshow Mini and Freakshow. How's the vape you get from the Troll?

Browny and DogMan like this.
  15. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

Yeah, yeah, after walking in the snow and using fresh cowpats to warm our feet.
    Although, I confess to using the electric fence energiser to join NR and R wire. Worked sometimes, but hurt like crazy if you're not careful

Browny, Bandsaw, emu and 3 others like this.
  16. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Ah the leakshow by wotofo :facepalm:

Noe, emu and KayP like this.
  17. DogMan

DogMan Butler

As to the rest. I suspect straightened barbed wire could be better than the 32awg we did use

emu, KayP and Aqualung like this.
  18. sirfoxey

sirfoxey Senior Member

The troll being the tallest of them all my RDAs I have found best with a 0.2-0.4 duel coil on a 45 degree angle. With a 2.5-3mm size coil using the chuff cap. Mostly as I like a warmer vape with flavour. I couldn't care less about clouds. When I tried a 0.6 or higher build I just couldn't find any setup single or duel that I enjoyed or got much flavour from. The RH though I put a single 0.6 build in and being shorter with a smaller drip tip got some outstanding flavour and still warm.
    The troll I tried the exact same single coil setup but it was too cool for my liking and didn't give the same level flavour.
    I do think I could get a single coil to work in the troll but just have yet had the time or luck yet. The airflow on the troll is highly adjustable which I have found both good and bad. As it gives you so many options for adjustment so finding the coil and airflow combination to match perfectly is an art I am yet to master

emu, DogMan and KayP like this.
  19. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Yes, yes. I'm aware about that. I'm sure I'll manage a good vape.

emu and DogMan like this.
  20. KayP

KayP Senior Member

Good to know. Thank you.

DogMan likes this.