Got a buggered I stick 50w

Discussion in 'Modding and Technical' started by sonnen, Jul 20, 2015.

1. sonnen

sonnen Member

Howdy all.
    Mate of mine ordered an istick 50 which started playing up (auto firing), and was replaced after he sent the original back.
    Replacement also had the same problem and he was sent yet another one without having to send it back again.
    Good customer service from Vape Tech in this instance.

My question to the technical guys is how hard would it be to install a new one of these into the case he still has.
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/2784000

Oh, and what size is the tiny torx bit i need to get the screws out of the top and bottom.
    Any advise welcome
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    margyb likes this.
  2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

It is a T5.

I took the top off mine and slid the guts out and rearranged the bit of spongy stuff on the boards firing switch and it works great now.

But mine was nearly impossible to fire and that spongy thing had slipped off the top of the button on the board.

It was really easy to fix.

Judith, margyb and DaveJ like this.
  3. sonnen

sonnen Member

Thanks for that RC.
    I'm fairly certain that the problem will be associated with juice in the switch, as he was using a Lemon 2.
    Do you know of anywhere that sells these individually?

4. Glen

Glen Member

it looks like lcd display is already on the board, but i cannot see any easy connectors for the battery. Probably you can replace the board easily, but will have to solder the battery connectors.
    i would assume anyone handy with some electrical understanding can do it.

it's hard to say the size from picture, but any cheapy toolkit that has those tips can open it.
    if you or any of your mates are handy with these, i would suggest inspect the faulty one first.. the issue can be very simple, like a bad solder or contact, or the fire switch not seated right, or faulty switch that you can buy from jaycar for a dollar.

5. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Not really, I have heaps of little driver kits but the one I used came in a little leather kit from Jaycar, it is really handy and a very small size.

Aldi have a kit at present that has a T5 but about $10.

I have a bit of a thing for small drivers.

RC

6. Glen

Glen Member

ah that can be really easy.
    pull it apart, spray clean it nicely with methilated spirits, or isopropyl alcohol, and see how it goes.
    since the ejuice isn't conductive, i don't think it can do permanent damage to the board via short circuit.. most likely switch gets stuck..

you could even flush it out without opening the mod, as long as the cleaning fluid is non conductive it should be ok.

7. sonnen

sonnen Member

Thanks for your help guys,
    nothing to lose so may as well have a stab at it....
    Will update as i go.

DaveJ likes this.
  8. Glen

Glen Member

i have variety of little tips, but the most comprehensive and useful one is a 100 piece bit set from craftsright i bought for 15 bucks from bunnings..
    as long as the star shape set is included in the set and its a small size set, it would work.. i don't know what those are called

here ahh now even cheaper:p http://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-100-piece-screwdriver-bit-set_p6320526

margyb likes this.
  9. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

Adds above link to my shopping list :):)
    Thanks Glen

Glen and DaveJ like this.
  10. Glen

Glen Member

no worries :)
    this set works pretty well for most cases, but there might be devices that require micro size bits.. don't pull my arm if you get one of those and this set doesn't open it :D

margyb likes this.
  11. sonnen

sonnen Member

Well i just had a minute's silence for the istick.....
    Took it apart easily enough, and could get the display screen to work by pushing the up and down buttons but nothing i did could get the fire button to work.
    Anyhow, it's in bits in the bin now apart from the batteries which i will dispose of responsibly.

12. Glen

Glen Member

do you have a picture of the fire button ?
    i cant seem to spot it on the board

13. Glen

Glen Member

ahh ok i think its in the last picture sitting vertical.

at the bottom side behind the board where the fire switch is soldered, it should have 2 pins
    when you press the button current travels from these.. if you short circuit these two pins, and if it fires, then trouble is the button which can be replaced

14. sonnen

sonnen Member

All too fidddly for me i'm afraid.
    It was firing on it's own, but not when i pushed the button.

15. Glen

Glen Member

oh well.. at least now you have a spare battery and box.. :)