Graduating from beginner to intermediate device. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Hardware Discussion' started by NZCherub, Aug 29, 2018.

1. NZCherub

NZCherub New Member

Hi,

I started vaping 6 months ago with the Innokin T20. I love it and I've tried a truckload of flavours, different nic levels etc. I find only strong nic, menthol and apple give me enough throat hit to feel satisfying.

I'm hoping that a stronger device would give me more satisfaction. Any recommendations?

I also like a big cloud.

Also, are there any tips that feel more like a cigarette?

Thanks,
    shannon

2. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Hello, Shannon

Congrats on starting vaping.
    Okay, there are many factors that can improve your vape experience -
    1. Device Type - Starter e-Cig or Mod
    2. Atomiser-Coil & Resistance & AFC, Air Flow Control
    3. Nicotine strength
    4. PG-VG Ratio
    5. Flavour - Tobacco, Fruit, Dessert or so on
    Firstly, although the Innokin T20 is an excellent device, I look at it as more of an introductory e-Cig, something to get one accustomed to vaping.
    Generally, it's not the type of device that will provide sufficient satisfaction long-term.

To start with, get a Mod, not a starter kit, and one with a Tank that can handle resistances of at least 0.5ohms. You probably won't need anything lower, although many coils today go as low as 0.2 ohms.
    As far as recommendations go, I've never placed too much importance on the actual Mod, it's really all about the Atomiser section - The Tank and the Coil.
    If you're near a vape shop, go in and try a few Mods and Tanks and see what feels right for you.

I like Mods by Vaporesso, GeekVape, Innokin, Lost Vape (high-end), Smoant, Wismec and Asmodus (also high-end)

I would highly recommend getting a Sub Ohm Tank and one that offers 4 ml capacity. Virtually all will offer low ohm coils of 0.5 or 0.2 ohms.
    Some excellent Tanks are - The Uwell Crown 3, Vaporesso NRG tank, Innokin Scion 2, Flow tank, Silo Beast, Freemax Fireluke Mesh.

Nicotine-
    Always get a PG based if you DIY? If not, you may wish to try e-liquids with at least 50% PG.
    PG will offer a better throat hit.
    For sub ohm tanks, most go with around 3-4% Nic, but if you want more of a kick, by all means, try 8-12%.
    The higher the wattage and lower the ohms, generally the lower the Nicotine.

PG-VG Ratio-
    As you mentioned, you like clouds but as you know, higher VG equates to more clouds and sweetness but higher PG equals to more flavour and throat hit.
    It's about finding balance and can be relevant to the actual flavour of your e-liquid.
    As an example, I like tobacco flavours, both plain and blended.
    For plain, I like 60% PG and most blended (generally with dessert flavours) I tend to go 50-50, or 60PG if I want more clouds.

Flavours-
    You mention Apple and Menthol. You may wish to try a blend of those with a tobacco flavour which may bring you closer to a cigarette experience.
    Again, if you DIY, or known someone well that does, one can make a pretty darn close representation of a cigarette; without the elements of combustion of course.

Some food for thought, and if you want more specifics, I or someone else would be happy to chime in.

Noe and The Vaper like this.
  3. Charles Vaper

Forgot to mention this - If you do DIY, let us know, I have other tips pertaining to cigarette mixes.

The Vaper likes this.
  4. NZCherub

NZCherub New Member

I DIY pg, vg and doublers. I've orderd some pure nicotine from nz so waiting for that to arrive.

This is a more complicated subject that I thought. Firstly, can you confirm that a mod is sort of like the counterpart to the battery part of a vape pen?

5. Charles Vaper

Noe likes this.