Gratitude - What are you thankful for today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Annie, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

At the end of every day, I take a few moments to think of things I'm grateful for that happened during the day. Today I'm thankful for the extension I got on my assignment when I didn't have a valid excuse to get it. I used up all the satellite internet while I was house sitting and on the day I had to submit my assignment, the internet said NO. I'm thankful to the library staff at the country library I visited who tried so hard to help me unsuccessfully in connecting to the uni's online platform for "security" reasons - Laptop said NO! I'm super thankful to come home and find my darling little sparky who was in a pickle and moved in to my house who has given me the gift of warm! A brand new heat pump (reverse cycle air conditioners you north islanders call them) had the house toasty when I got home yesterday after a 500 km drive from the opposite end of the island. I was so stuffed, and so happy not to have start the fire and wait for warm the hard way. Thankful for my ADSL2 which allowed me to tidy up my assignment and have it submitted first thing this morning. Thankful for IGA and my $250 gift card win which came in the mail! So many things to be thankful for, so many people to be thankful for. Thankful to iamTezr for giving me a bit of a clue about my Penguin leakage problems too.
    What are you thankful for right now?

2. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

i am thankful that we seem to be through the worst of winter

mum grew up in the country on a vinyard, and she always said leaves dropping late in autumn meant winter would be bitter, but short. As passed on by the natives

seems to be how this year panned out

Flea and steve.c like this.
  3. Annie

Annie Hellraiser

Down here, we had a second summer, DogMan. It was really very strange. Winter has been on the mild side I think for the West coast, but we're still having some subzero mornings and precarious black ice on the highways to anywhere. However, we haven't had multi day road closures. Last year, the town was isolated for 5 days because of snow! Only a couple of half days this year so far. However, you can't give a definite answer to being anywhere, just in case. We won't see our last frost until October. The rule for gardening is leave your spring seedlings in shelter until after Hobart show day which is mid-late October.

steve.c and DogMan like this.
  4. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

Vegemite.

Of course, vegemite 'happened' a long time ago, but yesterday when making a pork mince based version* of spaghetti bolognaise I thought it tasted a little too sweet. :hmmm:

Popping a couple of dabs of vegemite into it solved that! :thumbup:

* No, it's not really a recipe as such in that every time I make it, it has different flavouring ingredients (with only a few common ingredients between all the versions). ;)

Annie and DogMan like this.
  5. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

A study last week linked vegemite, marmite etc to increased happiness

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

6. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

Ah...okay, well, I think you and I need to talk. Better still, I need to bring you to the restaurant one day, or back here to flavourhoar headquarters and show you how to make a good sugo (sauce).
    NO vegemite allowed :sillygrin::soapbox:

Pippi, The Vaper and DogMan like this.
  7. Charles Vaper

Charles Vaper Senior Member

I almost forgot...
    I'm grateful for many things. A wonderful family, a terrific best friend, an extraordinary life, and best of all, a woman by my side who years later can still make me melt.

I'm a lucky guy.

Pippi, Flea, The Vaper and 3 others like this.
  8. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

The woman by my side also gives me a dammed good melting but only when I've just spent ' yet more money' on vape stuff.

Having said that I'm very grateful for her and two healthy and happy children.

I've often thought if I die tomorrow at least I would go happy in the knowledge that they'll remember me.

9. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I am grateful that the birds in my back yard love the water dish that I put out for them last summer and continue to use it to this day even if they fly away in distrust whenever I open the back door.

10. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

A lovely thread.
    I think I mentioned once before, having my "taking it all for granted" attitude shaken, I had commited to giving thanks that I don't live in one of the locales featured in the previous nights news bulletin, every time I drive over the Bermi bridge. Only a few times a week, but a perfect place to do it, beautiful. It has become a ritual (OCD dimension) and I would now feel uncomfortable if I didn't do it.
    So I did yesterday, and will again tomorrow, give thanks for where and how I live, to no-one other than the whole universe.
    But today, I'm just another ingrate

Pippi, DogMan and RC. like this.
  11. RC.

RC. Senior Member

The whole universe is bloody great at times in its total not paying attention at all, but pretty good at times in being a vessel for some sort of container for what is sometimes called abundance.

From one ingrate to another:)

12. RC.

RC. Senior Member

I put a dish with some container package shit out tonight for a really scared cat that hangs out in my front yard.

The cat is ginger and I would like to just at least give it a pat but it is as paranoid as all shit.

I do not blame the poor little thing but I sort of wish that it could come to the state of being where it could at least trust me and we could become friends and I could talk about gratitude on an inter-species level.

I am grateful though that it visits my front garden.

13. Flea

Flea Senior Member

I'm grateful that I woke up again this morning,
    also that VCA is still here. :thumbup:

14. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

That is so sweet Flea :h:

Flea and DogMan like this.
  15. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

I am very grateful Doggie gave me Saltlakrits ( salted licorice from Finland) its a new love affair - trying to make the packet last but its not looking likely as I am becoming hopelessly devoted to it.

Flea, Wanda and DogMan like this.
  16. Wanda

Wanda Senior Member

V (caffeine in a can) beer and baking paper to day theres nothing better lifes little luxuries sometimes to put a smile on your face :thumbup:

Flea, Pippi and DogMan like this.
  17. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

lol

glad you liked them

looks like there are local nordic stores, if you are desperate https://nordicfusion.com.au/food/bilar-jelly-cars-salted-100g

Flea and Pippi like this.
  18. Pippi

Pippi Mother of Pudles

OMG! thank goodness - nearly having anxiety attacks as the bottom of the packet looms closer.
    So happy you found that link Doggie xoxoxo

Flea and DogMan like this.
  19. DogMan

DogMan Mutley

Looks like my phone will be replaced under warranty. While heading to Telstra, and waiting in line, I'd kinda already worked out expenses around paying out $219 (I checked online) on my contract.

So that is good.

Pippi and iamTezr like this.
  20. Christina Ballerina

Christina Ballerina Senior Member

I am so very grateful, that people offer forgiveness. Even when you have opposite views to them. Thank you Dogman via fb x

iamTezr and DogMan like this.