1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

[Guide]Are all ohm meters created equal?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by DogMan, Feb 12, 2016.

1. DogMan

DogMan Butler

OK, so you're looking to rebuild. Great. Lots of information out there, but I just wanted to write this up after posts on some Murikan forums scared me.

No. Not all ohm meters are created equal. How much this matters depends on how close to safe boundaries you vape for your batteries. Too often I see recommendations to buy a $10 510 ohm meter, or use a digital multimeter

First and foremost, DMM are not designed for low resistance. The margin for error can be huge. Avoid these in general, even if it says "fluke" on it. If you are pushing boundaries on a hybrid with no 510 connection, your best bet is a kelvin 4 lead milliohm meter $$$

As far as 510 ohm meters go. They are in general pretty good. The connection is purpose designed, so it avoids weak connection issues that come with running leads. The internal wires are short, meaning internal resistance added to the reading is minimal. They also have a fast sample rate, so avoid the issues of testing on regulated mods that only sample resistance for an instant upon firing, or once every second, or some up to once every 5 seconds, thereby 510 ohm meters pick up variance.

BUT, just because it displays 2 or 3 decimal places, does not mean it is accurate to 2 decimal places.

The quality and reliability vary greatly.

By far the most accurate ohm meter on the market is the USA ohm meter. If you are pushing boundaries, you want one of these with no substitutions. They are simple without fancy features, but they are reliable in accuracy like no other. They do have a "Fire Meter" available, allowing dry burning on the mod, but they are limited to around 0.3ohm to fire. Making the standard better for most.

If you leave a good margin for error in general, say 0.3ohm on 20amp batteries on a mech, you may be more inclined to buy a feature rich ohm meter like the 521 Tab which have been put to their paces by reviewers and shown to not be great in the accuracy department, but if you are low watt/high ohm, you'll mostly be using it to check for short circuits and the likes.

Again for low watt/high ohm cheap options such as eleaf ohm meters will satisfactorily check for shorts and the likes, but I recommend buying 2 cheap brands, testing them, and sticking with whichever of the two reads lowest, just to be safe.

Too long didn't read is, if you push limits, spend the extra on a USA ohm meter brand

KayP, rupert, Dalork and 9 others like this.
  2. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

Thank you Doggie, that's a cool post. As I mostly build high ohms and use regulated devices I mostly use my mod but I did buy one initially and it never really worked. It wasn't super cheap but wasn't super dear either. I should get another one.

OT but I just realised what TLDR means so thank you for that too.

DogMan likes this.
  3. Gem

Gem Member

Thanks for this post Dogman,
    very interesting as I just recieved my coil making kit and the ohm reader in the kit looks pretty cheap and nasty.
    I will definately look into getting something that is better quality.
    Thanks for the heads up, great timing and very important information.

Nico and Laughter, DogMan and emu like this.
  4. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Very informative Dogman and an excellent point to highlight with every vaper who builds, new or old.
    Personally I wrestling with the question if I ' need' a 521 tab. I want one and that's definitely the case but do I need one?
    At the moment I just use an ohm meter that I bought from Vapeking ages ago which was cheap as chips and I'm sure not that accurate but in all honesty it's probably good enough for me as I don't build that low anyway.
    I currently build on the ohm meter and pulse on a protected mod and the resulting ohms always end up being very similar.

Your post has made me think that I could use my existing one as a checking method and build,check and pulse on the 521.
    I've been trying to decide between that and another atty,probably the Cthulhu V2, and I think you've made my mind up for me,not that I needed any encouragement.

Nico and Laughter and DogMan like this.
  5. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

The USA ohm meters are good but expensive but if you want super sub ohm builds they are the safest option.
    Personally I don't like building below 0.4 ohm per coil, so the cheaper ohm meters suffice quite nicely.

I just ordered a 521 tab clone from FT, it is reportedly just as accurate as the 521 (which is a clone also). These devices will save you time when rebuilding since you can keep the atty on the device, check the ohms, fire the coil & do everything you need to do when rebuilding on a nice stable platform, you can even use them to vape with :D
    Another great feature is the ability to check volt drop easily with these devices, which you can't do with a regular ohm meter, nor can you fire the coil on a regular ohm meter, so it'll save you having to screw/unscrew the atty several times during the build process, which obviously saves time.

The 521 will only fire down to 0.2 ohms, the FT clone will fire down to 0.1 ohms, not that this is going to affect me I don't build that low unless it's for TC but i try to keep above 0.2 ohm even for TC with Ti wire.
    The main reason for me to get the clone was the price, it's much cheaper & comes in different colors too, so you have the option to get the color you like best.

Gasman likes this.
  6. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Yeah. In your vaping range of 0.5ish at 30watts on most things accuracy isn't so vital.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Nico and Laughter likes this.
  7. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I thought about the FT one but something turned me off it and I can't remember what now.
    I remember watching a P.Busardo review on the coil master 521 and he compared it to another which I think was the original but unfortunately I can't remember the name of that one either. I'm sure though he reckoned the coil master was more accurate though?

I know it's something I quite honestly don't need but in my opinion it will make rebuilding quicker and easier. From memory some of the first batches had a dodgy 510 connection but they contacted people directly and sent them a new one free of charge.

Nico and Laughter likes this.
  8. Noe

There is virtually no difference between the clone & the 521, except that the clone can fire coils at lower ohms & has rounder corners & different colors available. I wouldn't have ordered one if I thought it was inferior in any way & Idid a lot of reading or user reviews before deciding. The user reviews that said they owned both are the ones that convinced me the most, the only potential problem with both IMO is the plug-in leads, I'd rather have proper aligator clips on their ends but I'm sure I'll know if they are good enough or not when it arrives :)

Gasman likes this.
  9. laurie9300

laurie9300 Photoshop Whore

The original by The Friday Morning

[​IMG]

Over $200

Noe and DogMan like this.
  10. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

I just use my Vamo to check new coils.I know its slightly out but thats cool as only use regulated mods at the moment.
    Plus I dont do much sub ohming. Also have a fair idea what I am doing.
    Great thread DM as the importance of ohm checking should never be forgotten.

Dalork and DogMan like this.
  11. Catweazle

Catweazle Minion

Noe, DogMan and emu like this.
  12. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Just had a look at FT again and I'm assuming when you mention the clone of the 521 you are referring to the pilot vape version as that appears to be the only one available in different colours.
    They have another one listed now manufactured by geekvape as well which is a bit cheaper again.

13. Noe

Yeah I got the PilotVape one (Red version) the Geekvape one isn't as good & doesn't have all the same functionality, for the few $ more it's worth getting the Pilot Vape clone ;)

Gasman likes this.
  14. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I think I watched a review on the geekvape version and a magnet fell off the battery cover whilst in progress.

Hardly inspires confidence in the product!

DogMan likes this.
  15. DogMan

DogMan Butler

I wouldn't trust those with 0.1 coils even though they fire that low. They aren't accurate enough. Stay above about 0.3 if going the 521 or clones thereof

16. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

Has anyone tested the accuracy of any of these ohm meters? It's not that hard or expensive to make something like this accurate, looking at some of the prices out there (eg: Burning tab master) it's madness but I wouldn't think it that hard or expensive to make a milliohm or even micro-ohm meter for just the purpose of reading coils.

17. DogMan

DogMan Butler

see CW's post

Dalork likes this.
  18. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I know how to test them lol, I was just wondering if any of us have actually tested them to check their accuracy.

19. DogMan

DogMan Butler

There is a discrepancy of about 0.1 ohm between the ones I have. Lots on ewetube etc have with spendy equipment. The 521 are junk in terms of accuracy

20. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

Cheers, that's what I was wondering although I wasn't asking about any particular unit just in general. I've no need for one myself as I rarely sub ohm but I do like the idea/shape of the tab 521 type unit as a build and fire deck. Torn between making my own or just buying one as I am extremely lazy I have to admit but my Son has been at me to make him and his friends a micro-ohm meter. I'm not very motivated these days and even less the last year.

Noe and DogMan like this.