[Guide]Are all ohm meters created equal?

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by DogMan, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

The Pilot Vape one on FT looks pretty good, I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives :)
    It's gotta be better than the el cheapo Ohm checker I have now & will suit my needs since I don't do super sub ohm builds.
    One feature I really like about it & the others like it is the ability to check the ohms in a length of wire, using the probes but I think I'll be getting better clips to go on the ends.

[​IMG]

Dalork likes this.
  2. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

I took the plunge and ordered the coilmaster from Victory Vape.
    Complete indulgence but stuff it, I'm sure it will save time if nothing else.

DogMan likes this.
  3. Noe

We'll have to compare them at the next vape meet or something ;)

Dalork, Gasman and DogMan like this.
  4. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Sorry about the late reply but that sounds like a plan.

Dalork and Noe like this.
  5. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

I just found out last night that my Son had already gone ahead and bought the CM 521 Tab, got sick of asking me to sort or make something. Oh well I guess it pays to be a lazy sod as he said he also got one for me hahaha.... He's giving it to me later today:sillygrin:

Judith, DogMan and Noe like this.
  6. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

Nothing wrong with kelvin clips, they are better in some instances as electrons move faster across the surface area of conductors and hence why some equipment comes with them. They allow more contact with surface area, think even more so if testing sheet material, but they don't grip anywhere near as well as something like an alligator clip. For the gauge wire Vapers use etc I'm surprised that didn't use alligator clips instead.

Catweazle, DogMan and Noe like this.
  7. Noe

Yeah, I'm concerned they wont make good contact with the thin guage wires we use. Still it's cheap to replace them & certainly not really a con for the product.

Dalork and DogMan like this.
  8. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

Oh...Oh...Guess what I got's in my hand whooohooo.........

Having a play already.
    [​IMG]

laurie9300, Noe and DogMan like this.
  9. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Smaller than I thought

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

10. Noe

I'm glad there was a picture between these 2 posts LMAO

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Looks good but i prefer the rounded corners on the Pilot Vape, does the 521 also have USB charging?

Catweazle, Gem and DogMan like this.
  11. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

Was going to reply right away but forgot I had appointment at hospital, traffic was horrid yesterday but none today so all good.

It's not quite as large as I thought but then I don't know, my mitts are a bit of the XXXX Large size lol but it's a good size I would say. Wont fit in my damn vape building box though damn it, maybe I'll build up a new workstation and build it in. Quality of the build/finish looks ok, better than I had would have expected.

Not really looked closely at either to be honest, yes there is a micro charging port as well. I like the base cover, it's not just magnetic but also has 2 locating lugs and rubber feet. It's the newer updated model 521 tab so also has the LED display. Everything seems to work as intended, I like how it gives a actual voltage reading of SoC of the battery in use rather than just battery image on the first Oled model. I would think it best on this model (maybe other clones like it also) to keep the battery charged or close to full as I would expect they are calibrated around that. Once you start to see a decent drop I'd expect whatever accuracy it may have could be affected. I've not cracked it open to see if calibration can be adjusted or not, doubt I will till it needs repair/out of any warranty as I don't sub-ohm it's not a biggy for me.

Noe and DogMan like this.
  12. Noe

That's a nice feature, I think the Pilot Vape only has the battery image SoC indicator, which isn't bad, most mods have the same thing.
    You could test accuracy at various points of voltage SoC of the battery, using the same atty that has not been used or disturbed to prove your theory of accuracy Vs SoC :) Use the same battery but because it will take probably a month or so to drain in the tester, using it as normal, pop the battery out & into a mod you are using & you could take various SoC tests inb a single day :)

13. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

I could easily test it, though it may be better if I make a dedicated thread about it at some point to not derail this thread from it's purpose. Why take the battery out to wear it down, I could just vape with the atty on the 521 tab lol and test it at different stages.

I will say the LED display is rather boring compared and Oled, but I suspect it's because Oled is quite hungry on power in comparison. Maybe again they were worried about inaccuracy at lower SoC, I've no idea lol.

DogMan likes this.
  14. Noe

Because you'll look like a dork LOL
    It'd look a bit like you were vaping on an Atari 2600 joystick LMAO

Also because you want to test with an unused atty, you'll have to be screwing the atties on & off that way, I'd prefer to use my mod to vape with & switch battery from one to the other.

Dalork likes this.
  15. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

FTFY :rofl: (you only missed the a & l)

Noe likes this.
  16. DogMan

DogMan Butler

found it

17. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

That appears to be the original model 521 Tab that had problems with a few different type atty's and was reportedly having trouble giving stable readings. Mind you wouldn't surprise me either lol, just wonder if they made it any better in the current model. I heard CM was really good about it and sent everyone new replacements.

DogMan likes this.
  18. Noe

DogMan likes this.
  19. Noe

Got my Pilot Vape tester today, it looks just like it does in the pic above.
    Tested the tester a bit with a few atties thrown on various devices to check the resistance, it seems to read 0.01 ohm lower than it should for everything I used on it, so it's consistent & accurate enough for what I need, I just have to remember to add 0.01 ohm when checking for true resistance.

Quite impressed with it actually, it works well & will make my rebuilding tasks easier.

DogMan likes this.