Horrible Cotton??

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by IGsrGR8, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I've only tried the KGD, for wicks I prefer Bamboo or Rayon normally, since most of my coils are Chimney style & the faster a wick can transport juice to a Chimney coil, the better.

You have pretty well answered my question though & I have the same thought, that puff s cheaper, so if there is no difference between the 3, then Puff would make sense to get.

2. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

I can send you some Puff if you'd like to try it yourself, not tried bamboo but have rayon.

3. Noe

Rayon & Bamboo are very close to the same, since Bamboo is essentially Rayon butmade from 100% Bamboo pulp & not just any old wood pulp.
    The Cellucotton Rayon is good but Bamboo is better since it has very long fiber strands that all run the same way, where the Rayon has fibers that criss cross in all directions. However I don't think there is a great deal in it if you are threading your wicks the usual way through the coil but when you use chimney style coils there is a difference, you don't want too much absorbancy in your wick for chimney coils & instead want wick that transports juice faster, Bamboo is faster that the Cellucotton, mostly due to the alignment of the fibers & their length.
    The downside with Bamboo is that initially there is a taste & it requires breaking in but once broken in, it is re-usable 5+ times, simply by rinsing under cold running water & giving it a gentle rub between finger & thumb.
    The other downside is that it is virtually unobtainium to get the sort you need, while Cellucotton doesn't suffer this same fate & it has less taste initially.
    Both are better than cotton at handling dry hits, a minor dry hit that would see cotton binned, wouldn't affect rayon or bamboo much, if at all.

My advice is if you don't build Chimney coils in RDAs then don't worry about Bamboo, instead use Rayon (Cellucotton), as this is the application where the most advantage is gained by using Bamboo. Even then, Rayon should be sufficient if you are not chain vaping excessively.

Dalork likes this.
  4. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

Only use the chimney build in my couple of Lemo 2's which get daily action but not that much. I tend to use my KF V4's with a stock standard boring old single coil wicked the normal way 95% of the time. I have several other attys of varying types but they don't get daily use and dripping I only do when tasting/testing pretty much now.

I might try the rayon in the lemo next time I re-wick it just to give it a go but am really quite happy with the build you did and just the cotton. I don't get dry hits these days lol, thank god. That taste is horrific, I only chain vape when I've been boozing. Might have to keep an eye out for the bamboo though am not too fussed seeing as I'm not having issues with the puff cotton.

edit: might have got lucky, think I may have found some bamboo wick

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  5. Noe

In an RTA cotton wicked chimney coil is my preferred method, since the cotton can hold the juice around the coil, the only thing that may be better is a Hybrid cotton/rayon wick, where the rayon is used around the coil for better scorch protection but really I don't think it is needed.
    Bamboo only comes into its own on RDAs with chimney coils, since in those you don't have the luxury of packing the cotton in & having it constantly fed.

6. Dalork

Dalork Senior Member

Might grab some anyways to try and have a play with, found some 1mm natural stuff on a roll. None is Australia though, I just like trying things and different set-ups, you never know if it may change my enjoyment of RDA's or other atty's.

If doesn't float my boat I'm sure it'll be easy to get rid of, wife wants some for candle making also she has just said.

Browny likes this.
  7. Northerner

Northerner Member

Interesting thread...

I've actually got some bamboo and rayon sat there I've never tried. (free gift with a purchase). Might have to have a go now.

Browny likes this.