1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

How many have tried Champix and what results?

Discussion in 'Research, Health and Legal' started by Charles Vaper, Sep 3, 2015.

1. subyXV

subyXV Member

Sadly from what ive read, heard and again this is my own personal opion, but one could make an inference that our medical system/gp's are letting the side down.
    I personally had a bad reaction from this drug, and going by my knowledge (not medically trained) it appears that people who suffer from a MHI are more susceptible to a negative reaction. I still think vaping is a better option full stop

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Maria and Pippi like this.
  2. RC.

RC. Senior Member

Being a Doc is a job like any other job.

To some it is a calling to others just a way to make some cash.

Pippi likes this.
  3. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

You don't hear a lot about the sad stories related to champix
    I reckon if this poor fellow had found e-cigs he would still be here and be happy

Coroners case in Hobart

http://www.magistratescourt.tas.gov...gs/p/suicide_for_publication_-_2011_tascd_073

"However, Mr P had complained to his mother that he ‘felt queer’ while he was taking Varenicline. She has reported she had tried to persuade him to get off the medication, but he did not listen to her. She also reports that four days prior to his death Mr P requested his sister to look on the computer in relation to the side effects of the medication. His wife noticed him to be more irritable, aggressive and difficult to get along with while taking the medication.

On the information available I am satisfied Mr P, while affected by alcohol, discharged a firearm at himself causing death. I find that this was a deliberate act sadly undertaken by Mr P with the express intention of ending his life. The side effects of the prescription anti-smoking drug Varenicline tartrate, combined with alcohol and probable smoking withdrawal symptoms cannot be excluded from contributing to his death."

4. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I tried it and lived to tell the tale - but only just!

Flea, subyXV, The Vaper and 2 others like this.
  5. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

As a random individual on the internet who detests seeing needless deaths, I wish to extend my thanks for your common sense.

Peace, friend. :)

(Oh, and 'vape on'.)

Maria and Pippi like this.
  6. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

The world, only just, steered clear of a tragedy. It would be a lesser place without you.

7. crispernator

crispernator Senior Member

Have used it ,nil result still smoked and had some serious issues as well whilst on it found out later about the suicides not happy jan was going to try again had the prescription on the fridge threw it in the bin

subyXV, Maria, Old Grump and 2 others like this.
  8. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

:blush:

9. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

I tried Champix about 5 years ago and had no side effects from it and i actually got of the ciggies for 12 months. My wife wasn't able to take the Champix though, it made her pretty sick. I was thinking of giving them another go, but with the new medication I'm on for my Multiple Sclerosis, I'm not sure if it will interfere with it.

margyb, Judith, Pippi and 1 other person like this.
  10. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Metal Oz, do you think vaping isn't quite working because you are Vaping zero nic?
    I have spare juice and also could give you a little WTA ( whole tobacco Alkaloids) I am often in Ballarat and happy to help out if you would like.

Noe, MetalOz, Judith and 1 other person like this.
  11. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

I think the nicotine craving are probably still there definitely. I was just looking for any Aussie sources for the NTN,but couldn't find any local distributors. I haven't read much about WTA's, do you do your own extractions?
    If you're in Ballarat, it would be great to meet you, definitely call in for a cuppa anytime you're in the area,We're usually around most times. I'll PM you my mobile number. I don't get out Clunes way too often but love the area.

Pippi likes this.
  12. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

Great Metal Oz, yes send your number - Ps Angela is from Clunes, I am in Korweinguboora (near Daylesford)

13. DogMan

DogMan Butler

nicotine can't be sold in australia yet, so it needs to come from overseas

there are only a handful of placed doing NTN... hiliq, a couple in the USA, a couple extracting from tomatoes

WTA needs a lab to produce, it is quite expensive, but om vapors in the USA are reasonable for 36mg, they have frequent sales too

MetalOz and Pippi like this.
  14. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

Yeah i knew the nicotine laws prohibited the sale of nic out here. I was hoping there was somewhere local that was producing NTN, but at a guess it's possibly a new thing. I dare say the Aussie government would try and restrict the NTN same as Tobacco.

15. DogMan

DogMan Butler

the poisons schedule doesn't differentiate by the origin of nicotine

non tobacco nicotine is equally illegal as tobacco derived nicotine and wta

MetalOz likes this.
  16. Smasha

Smasha Member

My GP wouldnt prescribe Champix for me. He was told me I needed to give up smoking but wouldnt prescribe Champix when I enquired about it. Guess he knew the dangers. A lot of GPs also get incentives from pharma companies such as free holidays and stuff to promote their products. My GP seems to actually care about peoples health and well being.

Judith, MetalOz, Donna and 2 others like this.
  17. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

If you are concerned about the legality of possessing nicotine you can organise some legally from Nicopharm. If that is what is stopping you switching from tobacco it is important to get some.

MetalOz likes this.
  18. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

I agree, I do have an account with Nicopharm, I'm still yet to make an order. I'm considering ordering some nic from the USA but waiting until after Xmas when ask the shopping etc is out of the way.

Judith likes this.
  19. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I recently priced a 250ml bottle of 100mg/ml 100%PG based nicotine on the Hiliq site, it worked out to around $50 with shipping included. Given the amount you would likely need in your juice (I'm thinking 6mg/ml would work, since you are currently smoking 2 maybe 3 cancer sticks per day & vaping 0mg juice the rest of the time), 250ml would probably last you 6 mths.
    So less than $10 per month you could be completely cancer stick free & gaining more health benefits by not smoking now.

MetalOz and margyb like this.
  20. MetalOz

MetalOz Member

You're totally right Noe, that definitely sounds like the best option. I am down to 1-2 ciggies a day, some days none at all, so a low mg like 3-6mg would be fine.
    My goal is to be ciggie free by the end of the year.

Maria likes this.