1. Rest in peace, Aqualung. Thank you for the magic.
    Dismiss Notice

How to reduce Aspire BVC coil resistance

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Glen, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Glen

Glen Member

i lost all my 1.8 ohm coils, and decided to mock around with the 2.1 ohm one i have, and it worked.
    i prepared a quick picture illustration to show how its made. Please be aware that if too much wire is pulled out, the resistance can fall below the ohm limits of the device, might not fire or may misfire.
    (note: use the blunt side of a bamboo skewer to push wire, or anything cylindrical that fits properly)

The more wire you pull the lower the ohm of the coil will be, but then again the more wire you pull out the less left inside, pulling too much will cause too little wire to left in and wont vape right even if the battery can fire it.

cheers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    crispernator, Browny and laurie9300 like this.
  2. dnar

dnar Member

Nice tip. What gauge is that wire? Looks pretty thick.

3. Glen

Glen Member

I have no idea.. these are mini coils, i think the macro shot makes them look thick, but actually its quite thin.
    i've been vaping the modified coil for past few hours, its hotter, vapes better, and hasn't popped yet.

DaveJ likes this.
  4. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

That counts as a success in my books!

Glen likes this.
  5. Vapetoomuch

Vapetoomuch New Member

Just be careful if you're using the coil on an unregulated mod (one without any electronics). You could end up reducing the resistance too much or pulling the coil into contact with the metal of the inner housing, creating a short that will fry your battery. Also consider that you're pulling the non-resistance part of the wire out and bringing the resistance wire into contact with the rubber grommet (potentially); that can cause it to melt the rubber.

Glen likes this.
  6. Glen

Glen Member

valid point, i just pulled the tip back out had a look in there, but no sign of melting (i did actually pull enough wire to get to the actual resistor wire) either the rubber is somewhat heat resistant, or the metal pin tip that inserts in there goes deep enough to let electric conduct from deeper point where it doesn't heat the bottom part of rubber

another fact may be, these are just tiny mini coils, with very little wattage required, this could be why it can get away with such mod.
    though, if this was a high power mod device i can see your point how issues can emerge

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  7. Vapetoomuch

Vapetoomuch New Member

I run rebuilt Kanger OCC coils for the subtank at 30 watts without problems. It's only a potential issue. In general, the wire won't generate enough heat to melt rubber until the current hits the coiled part of the circuit. I guess it all depends on the length of the leads and the material of the grommet. Edit: and how long you heat it for.

8. Glen

Glen Member

hmm hard to say.. this is a tiny tank on a spinner ego battery, i drag pretty hard (in my own standards) out of it lasting around 4-5 seconds each time, repeating every 30-60 seconds or so..
    Although i already understand how bigger badder stuff work, i have not yet been up there. Hopefully tomorrow i will have a vapemail with some goodies inside.

9. Vapetoomuch

Vapetoomuch New Member

It's actually the smaller, high resistance coils that use thinner wire which can get very hot very quickly, even at low wattages. They also cool quickly, so at the rate you say you vape, I imagine the coil is winding down nicely between "toots". Just keep an eye on the rubber. The lead will melt a groove into it before it blackens or burns.

10. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

I recoil subtank occ coils too! Yay someone else does it everyone else thinks I'm crazy. I think they are way nicer than when they are bought and cheaper too. Sorry for hijacking your thread glen. Tbh I would feel more comfortable if you did this on a regulated device as it won't fire if there's a short.

DaveJ likes this.
  11. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

From a safety point of view - just to reinforce what Nico says above - it would be wise to test your newly re-jigged coil on an atty tester (or regulated mod that reads out the coil's resistance) before use. Just to be sure .... :)

12. Glen

Glen Member

how do you guys think i know the coil measures 1.5 ohms :D
    a multimeter helps :p

Nico and Laughter likes this.
  13. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

Fair point.

But I just thought it worth a mention for any others who may be reading.

14. Vapetoomuch

Vapetoomuch New Member

Last night I examined one of my rebuilt coils after the taste suddenly went bad, and noticed some deep grooves and blackening of the rubber grommet. The other coil I use seems fine. It's not an ideal situation, but I think I'd buy a new rebuildable tank before forking out for more prebuilt coils for the subtank.