Inaugural VCA Aussie Advocate of the Year Award.

Discussion in 'Competitions/Fundraisers/Giveaways' started by DogMan, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I actually disagree with your assessment. I always admire your ability to step up and challenge the ANTZ in public, and your sheer presence and dedication to promoting e-cigs in public. There are any number of times I've been inspired by you, to be ..more vocal, to put my nose back to the grindstone and soldier on after I've received a smack-down.

Having said that, I'm also a little disappointed that @Pippi & @Donna have asked to be excluded. Donna is one of the hardest working advocates for our cause that I've ever had the honour to meet. Pippi seems to underestimate just how important it is for the continued success of the NNA AU to have funds to work with.

But if we're hard up for names for the list, I'd also put forward (again probably against their wishes):
    • Marewa Glover - she has been a great advocate for both Australian and New Zealand vapers & smokers. And she is firmly focused on the people hardest hit by smoking, indigenous people. If we can be seen to be supporting those who are unquestionably the most affected by smoking, I think it does our cause great benefit (and there is also the entire "because it's the right thing to do" argument that should be considered). I myself have never been about advocating for legal nic. on behalf of any current vaper, for the simple reason that .. well hey, all of us are already comfortable with importing, breaking the law & mixing our own. We are already sorted! It's for the available choices of current smokers that I advocate - not that they should be forced to vaping, but that they should have that (easily available) option.
    • @Steve Thomas - not only has he been active in fund raising, but he is also very active across FB as a public advocate.
    • @DogMan - Yeah I know you started the thread thinking of other advocates, but it seems to me that your contribution to the advocacy field is larger than many might suspect. More 'behind the scenes' nuts and bolts, but stuff that helps other advocates concentrate on what they do best. We would not have gotten so far without reliable people like you ..creating sig. banners, coming up with ideas or championing them, helping with the NNA AU site, and contributing things that allow the rest of the advocates to get on with their main areas of expertise.
    • @laurie9300 - did some great work on creating the templates for the I Quit My Way campaign, and remained cool and calm when coming up with 6 variants of particular images that we were all nit-picking over. If it were me I'd have been coming up with no more than 3, and demanding people just bloody pick one! He has also proved a boon with avatar images.
    • @Charles Vaper - perhaps because I knock about with him so much, but I also get to hear about a lot of the behind the scenes stuff he does that builds bridges, gains contacts, and he has an uniquely detailed view of the lay of the land in America that he brings to his advocacy.
    • @Noe - has probably converted more smokers to vape than I could in a century. Provides comprehensive (nay, exhaustive) reviews of vaping products that pull no punches and gives his considered opinion of vaping products, warts and all.
    • @margyb - if you want something logic, grammar, spell or fact checked - anything researched, she's the first one that springs to mind. She also agreed to provide person to person tuition for a Tassie smoker who I was trying to get over to vape. It did not work out, my Tassie friend was still too tied to smoking and did not take up the offer, but the potential support was there, thanks to margy. (And as they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink!)
    • And last but not least to be singled out (OK.. picked on!) for mention are our site administrators here, @Angela, @Jennifer & Judith. Ha! I bet you all thought you could sail under the radar. :hide: They do a champion job of ensuring we have VCA to nut things out, and plan our schemes. One of the great things about how they do what they do, is that they are almost invisible, because the forum just works so well.
    And yep, I realise that just about everyone on this list will shake their heads and say words to the effect "I do what little I can, but please choose someone else" - but hey, stuff y'all. If my name is going to be on the list when I don't think I deserve to be there, so should all yours. :rofl:

Oh, and if you're disappointed to not see your name included here, it is likely because I've had around 3 hours sleep in the last 32 (mostly stuffing around, not doing actual useful advocacy)! Send me a PM and I'll drag your name into it as well. ;)

Edit 1

D'oh!

@Broony an absolute powerhouse on Twitter. Often his post or retweet is the first I'll hear of some emerging issue, and he's also made some of the ANTZ 'we hate these people' lists. A sure sign he's doing something right!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Judith and Pippi like this.
  2. DogMan

DogMan Butler

what are people's thoughts on allowing this?

3. margyb

margyb Great Balls of Fire

I would like to be removed from the list too please Dan

4. DogMan

DogMan Butler

ok, will call it off

really no point if no one wants it

The Vaper likes this.
  5. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

A very wordy post @The Vaper but after I posted my recs - I realised there were loads I didnt mention. In truth many do a lot in thier own way and its hard to pick only one.
    Is this for cafe members only or the wider advocacy world @DogMan? We could go on for a long time thanking everyone across the globe :)

margyb likes this.
  6. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Too many likes for your post to fit on the forum.

I think this vote should be abandoned because you have reminded me that there are so many excellent people working on so many fronts and in the end it is a team effort. Every bloody vaper is fabulous too because just by switching they are advocates whether they are aware of it or not.

RC. and Pippi like this.
  7. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

:spank: :*

8. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

It sure is, isn't it? We have a great bunch of people. :)

Pippi and Judith like this.
  9. The Vaper

The Vaper I Vape ∴ I Am

I think the real problem is that everybody wants it, ..for somebody else! :rolleyes::facepalm:
    Perhaps we should all give each other a collective - hurrah! We're f*ckin' awesome as a team. :cancan:

10. DogMan

DogMan Butler

have asked mods to delete the thread

Pippi and The Vaper like this.
  11. Pippi

Pippi Admin Moderator

I am sure the mods will respect your wishes and delete the thread Dogman but first I wanted to say thanks for wanting to do something really nice for others - its pretty cool that everyone is so humble and that is a positive thing to come out of the thread. it wasnt it a waste! xoxox

Aqualung, Judith, margyb and 2 others like this.
  12. Angela

Angela Rebel Against the Sewing Machine

We'll just close the thread I think doggie. Nice thought btw. :)

Aqualung, Judith, margyb and 3 others like this.
  13. DogMan

DogMan Butler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.