IPV4 Warning

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by DogMan, Jun 12, 2015.

1. DaveJ

DaveJ I Vape

For my education - I recognise that onboard charging for dual battery mods can be problematic.

However, does this relate to ALL dual battery mods, or only those where the batteries are configured in series? (which appears to be the big majority of them)

2. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I think it is less of a problem for parallel configs but charging with on board charger is going to take twice as long as with a dedicated charger, however don't take my word for it, since I haven't researched parallel configs much, there is a chance that I am wrong about the safety of doing that. All my dual batt boxes are series configs.

In any case, if batts can be removed from the mod, I would charge them in a dedicated charger, on board charging is not the ideal way to charge Li-Ion cells.

DaveJ likes this.
  3. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Excuse my probable stupidity but how would this differ from a mod with dual batteries built in,eg Istick 50w? Am I right to assume that they are charged in a different way or could this go some of the way to explain any of the recent Istick problems? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

DaveJ likes this.
  4. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

LI-Ion vs Li-Poly.
    I'm not a battery expert, I just know enough to keep myself safe (mostly).
    The only fixed batt "mods" I own presently are 2 x Riva (eGo type) batts, from my 1st kit & they are 4 yrs old lol, 1 is still working the other isn't.

Generally I only like mods with batts I can remove, although the Evic VT has me reconsidering that, its quite good looking.
    However to be safer when charging fixed batt mods, you should use a USB plug adapter from the wall socket & not charging from your PC etc.

I think mods with removable batts are less prone to breaking, they often have fewer electronic parts or at least you're not using some of the parts (when removing the batts to charge), so there are fewer things that can go wrong.

Gasman likes this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

Thanks for that Noe, good to know. Always say live and learn, especially wise with vaping I feel.

6. Aqualung

Aqualung Vagrant

New IPV4s question.
    Mine refuses to read the coil resistance accurately. It will wander from 0.43, accurate, anywhere up to 0.8. Checked coil repeatedly and is stable on other mod. Being set for 50 watts, I get anything from 4.7ish volts, nice, or if reading 0.8, close to 6 volts. Not so nice.
    Lost my instructions. Can I set it to volts instead of watts.
    Perversely,it is happily operating in Joule mode, belives the kanthal coil is nickel, and wont let the volts exceed about 5.
    Flummoxed