1. Thank you to all those who submitted to the Federal Inquiry into E-Cigarettes for making your story count in the fight to legalise nicotine in Australia. Submissions may be viewed HERE.
    Dismiss Notice

iStick TC40W and Nautilus tank Problem

Discussion in 'Ask the Veterans' started by Donna, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Hi Veterans,

Have a friend that just received an iStick TC40W and Nautilus tank and says he has the following problem:-

"Strangely I can’t seem to get the iStick to work. The LCD keeps flashing ‘0 resistance, 40W, 370 deg F’. The device won’t turn on: I have tried pressing the FIRE button 5 times as per the manual. The battery is fully charged."

To me it seems it's obviously on because he's getting a display.

Any ideas for this naive user of anything other than gen 1 or early gen 2?

2. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

If it is in normal (kanthal) mode and it is not in temperature mode it could be a faulty coil. Sometimes if they are screwed in too tightly it can damage them.

Edit: just reread your post and it is definitely in temperature mode. It needs to be in normal mode if it is a kanthal coil (no red, yellow or blue band at the bottom of the coil).

Noe and sirfoxey like this.
  3. Jerry Hatrick

Jerry Hatrick Senior Member

Isn't 0 resistance pointing to a coil issue ? Or it could also be tank not making good contact with istick.
    Sorry I can't remember if the naut tank has adjustable center pin or not.
    To me it is on but can not work due to 0 resistance. = broken coil , no coil , center pin too short ?????
    just ideas Donna

Noe, Jennifer, DogMan and 2 others like this.
  4. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Make sure your friend knows that they have to leave the atomiser for a while after filling so the liquid can soak in properly.

Donna likes this.
  5. Bowser

Bowser Member

Sounds like the same setup I am using. Had something similar happen to me a week or so ago, replacing the coil fixed it for me.

Judith, Donna and Pippi like this.
  6. Nico and Laughter

Nico and Laughter Senior Member

I had a problem with the istick 40 not reading the resistance. It turned out the 510 pin was buggered. Straight out of the box. Got a replacement and its fine now.

Pippi, Donna and Judith like this.
  7. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

I don't have an istick or nautilus but things that are common to TC devices & tanks:

1. Make sure the mod is in the correct mode for the type of coil being used.
    If it is a Ni coil the mod needs to be in Ni TC mode, if it is a Ti coil it needs to be in Ti TC mode, if it is a SS coil it needs to be in SS TC mode (if available) or in wattage mode & if it is a Kanthal coil it needs to be in wattage mode.

2. If the device is in the correct mode with the correct coil type, then the coil may be a dud, try replacing the coil.

3. If the 2 points above have been checked & there is still a problem, try another tank (with the correct coil type) &/or try removing the tank & using a small screwdriver press down on the pos pin of the 510 on the mod, sometimes the pos pin can get stuck on some mods & not spring back up properly if they are spring loaded. Sometimes a different tank will have a slightly longer 510 connection & make better contact.

4. If all the above fails, there may be a loose connection inside the mod, in this case it's a warranty job.

Browny and Donna like this.
  8. Donna

Donna Senior Member

Hi All and thanks. Turns out the istick40TC was faulty and has been replaced but now my friend has another question.

"Can you help me with the settings?

· It has a temperature range of 100-315 degrees C. What temperature should I set it on?

· The topper I am using has a coil with 1.88 ohm resistance (and a spare coil of 1.6 ohm). The power of the iStick goes from 1-40W. What should I set it at?

· Do I need to set the voltage if I am using a temperature control?"

Thanks muchly :)

9. Jennifer

Jennifer Pyjama Queen

Clearly not a beginner product...in fact I've been vaping for 3 and half years and I couldn't cope with that.

Jaz, crispernator and Donna like this.
  10. emu

emu Banned

Around 270 C at 40 watts is nice but those 40 watt isticks dont last long on TC mode and I would recommend using a Kanthal coil around the 1.5 Ohm mark at 13 to 14 watts if you want it to last most of the day. :)

Alternatively if TC is desired then upgrade to a better bigger mod either with a replaceable battery or something with at least 5000 mah built in like the new
    Eleaf thats coming out soon LINK

Those 40 watt isticks are no better than the 30 watt isticks in my experience and are definitely not the best choice for TC, they just don't have the battery capacity for hard work.

[​IMG]

11. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

If the panel is showing a temperature setting then it is not suitable for a kanthal coil and needs to be put into Wattage mode. If they start at about 10 watts with high ohm coils that should be safe and then they can increase the wattage to try it out. Do they understand they need a nickel or titanium, and not kanthal, coil to be able to use temperature control? Stainless steel might not work in this one.

I haven't tried temperature control but I gather you forget about voltage and just increase the temperature until it produces a puff you are happy with. One of the reasons I haven't tried TC is because vaping is complicated enough without introducing extra complications. TC is great if you are prone to getting dry puffs but for the average mouth to lung vaper it is unnecessary.

I think the IStick 40 might be a mod that is better used for kanthal anyway from what I have read. Your friend needs a better TC mod to fully try it out I suspect (as emu mentioned) but would be better sticking with wattage mods and kanthal coils until they know more. After more than 2 years I am still trying to figure it all out so if they are a beginner then without an experienced vaper sitting next to them it is very difficult.

Browny, emu, Donna and 1 other person like this.
  12. Noe

Noe Adorably quirky ... QUIRKY Noe! VCA Approved Post Whore

Not sure there are any TC coils for the Nautilus, I may be wrong but if there are they are going to be much lower resistance than the ones your friend says they have.
    Tell them to put the mod into wattage mode, forget about trying to use TC modes with those coils, there is no need to set any temperatures in wattage mode.
    Start, like Judith said, at 10w & increase the wattage bit by bit (0.5w or 1w at a time) until they are getting the best flavor for the coil being used, if it starts to taste burnt back the wattage off about 2w & that will be the sweet spot.
    I have a few TC mods & find I really do not use TC mode at all with tanks, even when inhaling DTL, TC is best suited for RDAs IMO, rarely will you need TC on a tank & then only if you are trying to vape every last drop of juice out of it. In most cases you should be refilling your tank when it is about 10% full still, so if everything is wicking properly & you have the correct wattage set, then you are never going to need TC mode in that case.

Browny, emu, Judith and 1 other person like this.