laurie9300 E-liquid Recipes & DIY Chat

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by laurie9300, Feb 4, 2016.

1. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Catweazle and Judith like this.
  2. Andrew Parker

Andrew Parker Senior Member

Thanks for giving me the push I needed Catweazle. I've been thinking about it for some time now, so scales ordered and syringes put away.

I'm really looking forward to my next mixing session.

Catweazle likes this.
  3. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

I've tried a few of HIC's recipes now, some are good, some were quite the opposite :D
    I guess its down to personal tastes really.

His tasting notes are a good starting point for FA though.

I'm yet to hop on the mix-by-weight boat.
    I don't agree with the error margins people state. Density (specific gravity) measurements are not accurately stated for all concentrates, and that means minor variations in actual percentages for known recipes.

laurie9300 likes this.
  4. Catweazle

Catweazle Minion

:facepalm:

he's a smart guy what posted that in the first place ;)

rupert, laurie9300 and DogMan like this.
  5. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Mother's Milk impressed me, and I enjoyed it a lot. It was a long time ago though, so my memories not sharp. Whatever it was like, this is REALLY good, though complex. I cannot see this coming out of my rotation, a MUST TRY!

Leonards Mothers Milk Clone by deftonerdad

(TFA) Bavarian Cream 1%
    (TFA) Cheesecake (Graham Crust) %1
    (TFA) Cinnamon Sugar Cookie 2%
    (TFA) Cotton Candy 0.5%
    (TFA) Dragonfruit 2%
    (TFA) Orange Cream 0.5%
    (TFA) Sweet Cream 1.5%
    (CAP) Sweet Strawberry 11%
    (CAP) Vanilla Custard v2 3%

I've been adding (TFA) Smooth 1% to flatten it a little

rupert likes this.
  6. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

I was lucky enough to get a free sample of Nimbus Vapours Jam Dizzle (from Steam if you want some)! Which is absolutely spot on for a Raspberry Jam Doughnut.

[​IMG]

I would really like to mix something like it, but after heaps of tries I can't even get close? All the doughnut concentrates are disappointing. Any incite would be appreciated?

7. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhh!

I knew I should have never started DIY! I seem to be much more critical of my own creations

I've gone from 5 X 30ml flavours that where good, but they "are what they are", to 30 x 5ml flavours that "could be so much better"!

How do you know when a recipe is finished? That it can't be any better?

emu likes this.
  8. emu

emu Banned

Maybe alternate between unflavoured for a few puffs.

laurie9300 likes this.
  9. Ben

Ben Forum Stud

When you can divide it by 0 and end up with a remainder of caboose. That's when you know it can't get better. In all seriousness, how does one define better? I might try a juice and say it needs more sweetness, others will add koolada, others will think it's crap whilst others will think its perfect. I tend to make a bunch of 3ml batches of whatever I'm making, altering %s of each ingredient to arrive at what I think is 'best'. It's a time/resource/cotton heavy procedure but you tend to end up with something pretty close to what you were looking for. This is where it's important to keep records of what you are mixing, something I am terrible at doing...

laurie9300 and emu like this.
  10. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Thanks for the replies guys!

I don't think I have a problem with my taste buds meq, I think it's a psychological thing. When I bought RTV, it's flavour, was it's flavour, and that was it. There was nothing I could do about it, it was good enough to vape, and I vaped it.

Now I am in full control (theoretically)! I can tweak till my heart's content, and I do, I can't stop, and my heart's still not content!

It's probably a phase (I hope), and I'll end up being a great mixer (eventually). It's all part of the journey, and I am grateful for a place to vent my frustrations.

emu likes this.
  11. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Thanks for your comments Ben, it's good to have what you know reinforced buy others. Flavour is very subjective, and I think I just have to learn when enough is enough.

I have been doing 5ml batches of many recipes, so I can get a decent try at them all, then adjust, rinse and repeat. I am good at keeping records so that's not a problem. The problem is not being able to resist the next version!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    emu likes this.
  12. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

An artists work is never finished in their eyes......

laurie9300 and emu like this.
  13. emu

emu Banned

I have to agree with Rupert on that point, I bet you nail some really nice juices laurie but when you do you'll have to resist adding any more concentrate if you can..

rupert and laurie9300 like this.
  14. btobw

btobw Member

You almost have me convinced I might try DIY. Right up until this post ....

rupert and laurie9300 like this.
  15. Andrew Parker

I had an interesting experience with one of the recipes posted above. I used to enjoy Suicide Bunny's 'Mother's Milk' and bought quite a lot of bottles of it before I discovered how much cheaper DIY was. I always felt the original was a bit too creamy but pleasurable nevertheless. When I started to mix my own juices, I came across a DIY recipe for it (not hard to do, there are quite a lot of them) but early on I didn't have all of the ingredients so I omitted some, subbed others and called it 'Simple Mothers' (sorry Mum). That went through a few versions, slowly evolving as I added more ingredients to my collection. I got to version 4 and then the newer versions were sufficiently different so I began to call it Mother's Milk with the mixer's name in front such as 'Leonard's Mother's Milk' (and lots of variations of Leonard's clone too!) or 'Monkey's Milk'.

When I finally had all of the ingredients to make Leonard's version and did so with the exact ratios, I found I wasn't too keen. A good juice certainly, but not quite to my liking. I still make plenty of something similar but that's by going back to my Simple Mothers version 4. There probably is a version 5 to be made, but at some stage I decided enough was enough and it's really easy to make up another batch of 100ml of this as a stock juice that I know I'll enjoy and the rest of the mixing session can then be experimentation.

laurie9300 likes this.
  16. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Oh please don't let me put you off!

17. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

I totally agree with you woopi, I do tend to offer-think things.......

You should definitely post your version 4 so we can all give it a try?

18. Andrew Parker

Well that's put me on the spot. I've never really thought mine were worth posting and besides they are terribly derivative. The main point of my post was to suggest that you have to arrive, some time, at a point where you say 'it's good enough' not perfect, but worth making on a larger scale. I'll have to think about that laurie.

laurie9300 likes this.
  19. btobw

btobw Member

Haha - I don't think I can really blame you.

I'm a very lazy vaper who thinks having to occasionally rewick or mix up doublers is a pain. It's weird considering I used to spend a lot of time every day rolling ciggies with one of those little machines.

laurie9300 likes this.
  20. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Did you end up mixing this rupert? I'd be interested in your thoughts?