laurie9300 E-liquid Recipes & DIY Chat

Discussion in 'DIY Flavours, Mixing, Recipes' started by laurie9300, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Senior Member

Hey Laurie, I reckon mixing is like that 'two steps forward, one step back' thing. While looking for perfection, I keep in mind a secondary standard like 'I'd mix that again' and note the recipe with an asterisk or three, depending on my assessment. All it really means is, I go back to the spot in the sequence with the most asterisks, make up a big bottle, and start again from there, enjoying a nice vape as I go along. It doesn't do much except reduce frustration I reckon.

laurie9300 likes this.
  2. Andrew Parker

Andrew Parker Senior Member

Update on mixing by weight.

I did get a scale. I did try mixing by weight. It's not as easy as I would have thought.

I researched to exact density of the main elements, Nicotine, VG and PG and made sure these were entered into the calculator correctly before starting. Admittedly I used 1.0 for all of the flavours but I understand this is quite common practice.

The difficulties I have encountered so far are:
    • I found it hard to add the exact weight of ingredients and I was often 0.10 - 0.20 out. Carefully adding one drop at a time when I was getting close resulted in the scale not recognising each drop and then the last drop took it over.
    • When I used a syringe to add the mls of an ingredient according to the recipe, I found this did not match what the increase in grams on the scales should have been, sometimes by quite a bit (2-3g difference). I probably need to look at calibrating the scales which I probably should have done first off.
    BTW, this was not a cheap set of scales so it's probably user error.

Anybody been there, done that and has advice?

Rupert, this is where you're allowed to say 'I did say ...'

3. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

Sure did - its in the steeping line now. Likely crack it open early next week.
    I did change it a little though:

(TFA) Double Chocolate (Clear) 4%
    (TFA) Orange 4%
    (FW) Sweet Cream 5%
    (TFA) Sweetener (Sucralose) 0.5%

Amended to account for ingredients I have, and dropped the sweetener, as I am not a fan of high sucralose personally.
    Ill let you know once I crack it open :)

laurie9300 likes this.
  4. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

:D :D :D
    I'll try not to be that guy.....

5. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

OMG this is delicious!

Creepy Lemon Cookie by ECX

(TFA) Bavarian Cream 2%
    (FA) Cookie 2%
    (FA) Lemon Sicily 2%
    (TPA) Lemonade Cookie 5%
    (FA) Marshmallow 2%
    (CAP) Sugar Cookie 2%

I subbed (CAP) Sugar Cookie for (FW), but it shouldn't make a huge difference?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Cloudy, Judith, rupert and 1 other person like this.
  6. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

I have asked before but I got no satisfaction.

What's the go with Smooth and VaporWizard. Are they useful? are they dangerous? are they a waste of time and money?

Do I need to steep if I add nic to a premix?

laurie9300 likes this.
  7. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

How long is a piece of string? LOL I haven't used either but apparently they are the same. They do remove sharp notes but also dull flavour apparently and need to be used lightly. If you google it or go to a DIY site you might be able to find more info. Steeping time with premix liquids (I assume you are talking about doubler type premix?) depends on the liquid. If you contact the manufacturer they could give you more information.

Cloudy likes this.
  8. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Hi Judith,

I have, as usual, left myself a bit short. I am getting some lovely 0mg juices from a mutual friend, Firekombi. I have nic on hand but these juices are all mixed up with no nic. I intend to add an appropriate amount for my vaping preference. I am wondering can I just pop in the nic, shake and vape or do I have to steep them for the nic to combine. If so how long? they are reportedly fruity flavours

I am trying to understand if experienced mixers use the smooth et al products, do the boutique makers use them?. I have looked into their function a bit and I can see how they might work but I was searching for first hand knowledge. I don't know if they can reduce the harsh from a mix that is too high in nic for personal taste or do they just function on flavour?

Maybe it is one of those products left over from food technology that some bright spark decided to market to Vapers without really checking if there is a real need for it?

VaporWizard claims to improve cloud but that sounds like BS to me.

Judith likes this.
  9. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Smooth and Wizard do have a similar effect, but are best used in different profiles. Both remove sharp notes, I can best describe it as flattening a flavour. Imagine a strawberries and cream, with a sharp fresh strawberry, getting "squashed" into a strawberry milkshake flavour?

Smooth is best in fruity flavors, as it is a little sweet. Wizard in tobacco or bakery, it has a woody note.

Steeping does not start until nic is added. Whether it needs to be done depends on the flavour. Some won't change with steeping, with others, you won't even believe they are the same juice!

Judith and Cloudy like this.
  10. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Thank You.

I appreciate your explanations. I have a much clearer understanding of how I will proceed with the fruity ones when they arrive.

I may hold off on any purchase of smoothing wizards until I find an example of where I might want them.

Cheers

laurie9300 likes this.
  11. Andrew Parker

I purchased Vape Wizard about 9 months ago as I do quite a few bakery style mixes and I think I used it on one mixing day in two or three juices. I've never used it since and I'd almost forgotten I still have it. My conclusion therefore is that it didn't seem to be worthwhile. I keep quite extensive notes on mixes and review them before making up another batch of the same. If there had been a noticeable improvement by the inclusion of the Vape Wizard, I think I would have continued to use it.

Cloudy, Judith, rupert and 1 other person like this.
  12. Judith

Judith Mostly harmless

Fruit flavours seem to be the ones which need the least amount of steeping. Don't forget either that if you have a reasonably large amount the rest of the bottle is steeping as you slowly (or rapidly :sillygrin:) empty it.

Cloudy likes this.
  13. Cloudy

Cloudy Senior Member

Thank You Judith and Woopifumes. I hear and appreciate the advice.

It is hard to wait while steeping but my solution is to make lots of juice. Eventually I will be spoilt for choice :facepalm: but that's a whole other problem.

Judith, Pippi and laurie9300 like this.
  14. Andrew Parker

I recall the same frustration Cloudy. After you have established a routine, you'll probably find yourself mixing juices several weeks in advance of when you will need them so steeping won't be a problem. I made up a batch the other day that I don't expect to use for another 4 weeks at least because I've got plenty on hand. You'll get there before you know it. Hint: stock up on bottles!

laurie9300 and Cloudy like this.
  15. rupert

rupert Crazy Chemist

You'll find mixes you like to keep on hand too, as opposed to mixing to find new creative flavours.
    For the former, getting your hands on a few 100mL blue or amber glass dropper bottles is a good thing.

laurie9300 and Cloudy like this.
  16. Andrew Parker

A timely response rupert. I was just about to put in an order for some new bottles which might need a slight alteration after your last comment.

rupert likes this.
  17. iamTezr

iamTezr Senior Member

Free Bump to the top... because this is an excellent thread to read for newbie starting out on DIY mixing..
    Don't want this thread and all the hard work @laurie9300 has put into to to waste.

rupert, Pippi and laurie9300 like this.
  18. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

Thanks Tezr! I have neglected it a fair bit, I should apply a little more love......

rupert and Pippi like this.
  19. laurie9300

laurie9300 Armature Boy

So this one was another long hard road. I wanted a Blueberry vape in my arsenal, and a Blueberry Cinnamon Danish sounded great!

I tried some online recipes, three actually, but none of them did it for me, but I learned some things, and decided to start from scratch.

V1 was too heavy on the cinnamon and too light on the blueberry, and successive versions decreased the cinnamon and increased the blueberry. I was only using the two blueberries at that point, Bilberry and Blueberry Wild, and I got to a point where the cinnamon was right, but the blueberry still want "in your face" enough.

When I tried increasing the blueberry more, it got chemically, sort of perfumey. So I bought the Blueberry Jam and threw that in too and BOOM!

Blish by laurie9300

(FA) Bilberry 2%
    (TFA) Blueberry Wild 6%
    (CAP) Blueberry Jam 2%
    (TFA) Cinnamon Danish 1.5%
    (TFA) Whipped Cream 1.5%
    (TFA) Cotton Candy 1%

My mates love this too so it's not just me......

RC., rupert and iamTezr like this.
  20. subyXV

subyXV Member

Some great reading here but personally im frightened of the "mixing by weight" part of everything. Currently my wife and I mix by Ml by good old syringes. At this point i dont have an issue mixing by this method, and syringes can easily be sourced (the joy of having friends in the medical field and living in a small town).
    I just mixed a sample last night of coffee (10ml @8mg and 50/50) the juice is from Hiliq. I just hope the coffee doesnt taste disgusting and im thinking to let it step for 7 days ?
    If anyone has any experience please help me out if you wish.

Thank you

laurie9300 likes this.